Pets

by kilroy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• kilroy
    kilroy

I have noticed in a few posts lately that there have been negative articles concerning being owned by pets. You know you don't own them!

The only bound volumes I have are 1991 through 1995 and the only things I can find in the index are a few snippets in Watching The World except for an article in the 1/22/93 Awake which was quite possitive.

The negatives that I read are that pets take time and money away from service to our dearly beloved printing society. Can anyone give me some quotes? Thanks. Kilroy

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Oh,

You've got to be kidding.. The WT is now claiming that pets are bad too?? Wow! I know of a friend of mine that may leave over that one.. He loves his dogs.. After all, what else in his life can give him true unconditional love?

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Kilroy,

I'm a cat

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Pets.........make good stew?

Slipnslidemaster:"The average person thinks he isn't."
    - Father Larry Lorenzoni

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• blondie
    blondie

While the WTS does not come out and directly say not to have a pet, they dwell on the negative quite a bit.

*** g89 6/8 18-20 Can You Really Care for a Pet? ***
    "Not all adults consider the consequences of accepting another “member” into the family. They do not always foresee the inconveniences and responsibilities that a pet can bring. This may especially be true of Jehovah’s Witnesses, who lead such busy lives in their Christian ministry and are often away attending meetings and Christian conventions. Then the problem of finding someone to care for the pet arises. Certainly, it would not be appropriate to miss Christian activities because of an overly sentimental attachment to animals.—Hebrews 10:24, 25.

Hence, anyone who really wants a pet should consider whether he is willing to make the daily sacrifices necessary for a healthy pet. Does he have the facilities for proper care and attention? And remember, animals eat and big animals eat a lot! That can make quite a dent in your pocketbook—yet another factor to take into account. Animals do get sick, and medical costs may take you by surprise.
    Another factor is hygiene. The tongue of many animals is also their washcloth, which they use for all parts of their body! While animals are equipped to handle the germs that they ingest, children may not be. So do not encourage your child to kiss an animal. Even allowing an animal to lick your child’s face and hands may expose the child to health problems, possibly including worms. When it happens, washing with soap and water at once may prevent infection. Pets should have their own feeding dishes and should not be allowed to lick plates used by humans. Animals can bring fleas and other “undesirables” into the home. Some owners of dogs wisely do not allow them in their houses."

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

FREDDIE,

Your pic is back up, YEAAAA! opps ah MEOW!

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Now that is amazing..

I guess even the unconditional love of an animal is way way way tooo much to ask for while serving Jehovah's organization...

Are there any negative comments about owning a car? Because, as we all know, maintanence costs add up, and then there is that pesky fuel bill, not to mention the washing and waxing involved.. It takes soooo much time away from the duties of the good Christian. Time much better spent out in field service (And they walk in FS anyway, so who needs a car??)..

In fact, the car can be a tool of SATAN.. If you own a car, you might be tempted to get a job, once again taking away time from field service...

Of course, it could be that the GB hasn't figured out how to make dogs and cats shun their owners yet, and since the GB cannot control the pets, they just prefer to discard them :-)

• kilroy
    kilroy

Thanks, Blondie. That was what I was looking for.

And Freddie you would be so much more fun to pet if you had fur on your head instead of those godawful horns.

Kilroy

• LDH
    LDH

We had a brother who really loved his dogs (prized hunting hounds)

and one day two of them got out of their cages and were struck and killed.

Well that night he had a dinky little talk, a 5 min job. He was in tears and finally he stopped the talk and told the cong what happened and apologized for not being able to finish the talk. He left the podium in tears.

The 'Drool' Overseer's remarks were something along the line of "We shouldn't let over emotionalism about animals impede our worship of Jehovah, the Creator."

John L. never came to another meeting. He was df'd shortly thereafter.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit