Birthdays are now a matter of conscience????

by sacrebleu 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

I just heard this. I can't believe it. Does anyone know if this is true?

sacrebleu

• oldflame
    oldflame

I have not heard this

• bite me
    bite me

That would be interesting if that was true.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Most things are a matter of conscience, but --in JW speak-- ...if your conscience were truly bible trained you would never do those things for fear of reproaching Jehovah's fine name...

Yuck!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have not heard that, and neither have most of the hounders. It is true that, if your conscience permits, you can celebrate anything. However, there are the hounders that do not uphold your decisions. They will probably form a judicial committee if they see you celebrating a birthday, whether or not it is technically a disfellowship offense. They are so likely to view it as a judicial offense that, for all intents and purposes, celebrating a birthday will earn you a judicial committee and a S-77 form.

I am afraid they will do the same thing, or something similar, in response to the Valueless Things Kool-Aid. I checked it, and there is no outright ban on fun (just counsel to limit it). Many hounder-hounders and hounder-hounder-hounders are going to enforce it as an outright ban, and start disfellowshipping people for it. They could further confuse hounders and hounder-hounders at the Grand Boasting Sessions and in Hounder Schools, adding to the likelihood that it will start being enforced even without clear written grounds. College could also be a judicial offense despite that there is no clear written directive to that effect. As with birthdays, so could those items in that Puketower issue.

• VM44
    VM44

The two examples that the JWs give of Birthdays in the Bible show rulers doing evil things.

Doesn't that just show that the rulers were evil? They could have done either good or evil, and they both chose to do evil.

So why is the observation of a birthday then considered bad by some sort of "guilt by association" reasoning?

Please note that it was Judge Rutherford who had this thing against Birthdays, which he considered a form of "creature worship" which he was against. Unless the "creature" was himself, then it was OK.

--VM44

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

My sister is a Pioneer who just recently chose to attend the birthday party of her grandchild. She spent weeks debating to go or not to go, finally choosing to go but keeping it secret from her congregation. She didn't sound like they'd think it was okay.

SusanHere

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Jehovah`s Witness`s may now Celebrate Birthdays!..Happy Birthday 6..Woohoo 2.............But..The Birthday Cake,must be shaped like the head of "John the Baptist!"..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• La Capra
    La Capra

MY JW mom and my non-JW dad came to dinner in a restaurant for the express purpose of celebrating my birthday. There was cake and singing, and everything. Two weeks later, they accepted an invitation to my husband's surprise birthday party too. I almost feel like creating trouble for my mom, but I won't. Everything is conscience matter. When you do something that is "forbidden," If it bothers your conscience, you confess. If you get caught by someone and it bothers his conscience, then you're sitting in a committee, one way or the other.

Shoshana

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

I t would not shock me everything tht bible does not specifically prohibit will become a conscience matter in time. Christmas will remain a no no however as will easter, but blood transfusions and birthdays will slowly become frowned upon then eventually generally accepted

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit