CORMAC MCCARTHY may well be my favorite writer

by Terry 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I almost (almost!) never read fiction.

Personal reasons.

I use to read a lot of fiction as a teenager, but, gave it up.

I had enough to do rearing 7 kids and having to indulge in life to make the trade-off of time required to keep up with fiction.

Now, there has come an author who has stopped me dead in my tracks and changed all that and his name is Cormac McCarthy.

He is some kind of genius with quirky style and a bottomless vocabulary and a penchant for storytelling that won't let me escape.

I first heard of McCarthy by reading the Literary critic, Harold Bloom. Bloom praised McCarthy lavishly. That got my attention. I decided to try out one of McCarthy's books titled BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I couldn't get into it. I don't read Westerns, for one thing. Another thing, I couldn't get past McCarthy's unwillingness to use punctuation.

About four or five years passed.

I hear about a film coming out called NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN by Cormac McCarthy which two of my favorite directors (Fargo, Raising Arizona, Blood Simple) are directing.

I work in a bookstore and laid my hands on a copy of the book easily.

I started to read on my lunch break.

It grabbed me. It wouldn't let me go. I was sucked into a different world. McCarthy had me, but good!

From there I read ALL THE PRETTY HORSES. Wow! I can't begin to tell you how much I loved that book.

Then--hold on to your hats, folks--I kept hearing about his latest novel which won the Pulitizer Prize.

It was a Post-Apocalypse novel. Imagine that genre winning a Pulitzer! What was going on??

I started reading THE ROAD.

I can only tell you it was one of the best written, most haunting, penetrating pieces of writing I've ever come across.

I simply have to suggest this book for you if you want to give it a try.

A father and his son set out across the dying landscape of a holocaust setting trying to keep from starving to death. Their only goal is to not die. They encounter what few humans remain as foragers, cannibals and victims of some hideous world-shattering event. They are trying to reach the coast by taking what remains of a road, a highway perhaps. Daylight lasts about four hours each day. The rest is wintry night. It snows constantly. There is so much ash they must wear masks to filter the air for breathing.

This book gets inside you in a way that a mere horror story or sci-fi concoction only play with for effect. This, my friends, is literature.

It is about love, purpose, survival and what it means to be a human being.

I hope you give it a try.

I fully intend to read all the rest of McCarthy's books.

Currently, I'm half way through Blood Meridian (the book I couldn't hack previously). I know my way around McCarthy by now.

This author believes the only excuse for punctuation is to make something clear to the reader. The way Cormac McCarthy writes, sure enough, you have no problem understanding that somebody is talking. You know who is talking.

His descriptions sometimes consist of statements which are mere brush strokes of prose. It works. It isn't merely coy or affected. This guy is an original!

T.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Naa mate, Stephen King is the one for me.

• Scully
    Scully

I've heard some pretty excellent reviews of The Road. I think it may be on the reading list for the book club I belong to, but like you, Terry, I find fiction to be a very difficult genre for me. I'm at a point right now where I'm ready to give up on "nouveau" fiction altogether. The books my friends have selected have had very depressing storylines (in my opinion, of course) and I find myself feeling emotionally dragged down by them many times, and I just do not enjoy that feeling, especially when I know that it's been a work of fiction that has triggered those feelings. We've read books like The Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseini, The Birth House by Amy McKay, The Stone Cutters by Jane Urquhart and The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. For most of the readings, I've felt positively miserable, reading page after page of trials and tribulations, wondering whether it's ever going to end, or should I just stop reading and watch my collection of Pinky and the Brain cartoons instead.

I've been going back to my childhood high school reading list and re-reading some of the classics, and considering them just for the story, not digging into the symbolism that we had to extract from the books for school assignments. So I have Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm, Golding's Lord of the Flies, Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, Salinger's Catcher in the Rye and Shakespeare's complete works on my night stand now.

So, Terry, if you don't mind my asking, how did you transition from a non-fiction reader to fiction? What piqued your interest in Cormac McCarthy's works (or any other fiction writer's work for that matter) initially? How do you maintain your interest in a story that seems so dark and brooding and, ultimately, rather depressing??

• changeling
    changeling

I loved "The Road" too, of course, people who are not above reading fiction are probably not above reading my posts and already know that.

changeling

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Thanks for the tip. I'll add it to my list.

• Open mind
    Open mind

What Abandoned said.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The Road is excellent indeed - and yes, keep an unabridged dictionary handy if you decide to read it! So far that's the only book of his that I've read but I plan on reading more.

Terry, run, don't walk, to the nearest theater that is playing No Country for Old Men.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Thanks for the tip, Terry. I put it on my list and will try to hunt it down tomorrow.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Terry, run, don't walk, to the nearest theater that is playing No Country for Old Men.

Ditto.

Saw it twice.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Thanks for the info Terry. I will check him out. I want to see No Country For Old Men and want to read The Road but Im not going to purchase any new books for a while. I ordered a Kindle from Amazon and eager to try it out when it comes in. I hate wanting a book and the bookstores here not having it and having to order it from Amazon and wait for it to come in.

LRG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit