The Moody Blues - Your Favorite Songs and Albums from them ?

by flipper 39 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

A band I really liked a lot growing up and as an adult was he Moody Blues. Their mixing of orchestration from an instrument called the " mellotron " and mixing the orchestration with electric guitars was fantastic. They wrote very meaningful lyrics analyzing the situations in life as well as the world scene at the time. Always loved Justin Hayward's voice and songwriting ability. I was privileged to see them live 3 times , in 1988, 1989 and 1993 .Every show was brilliant with great musical ability on display ! So- what are your favorite songs or albums from the Moody Blues ? Did you lsten to them growing up ? When I hear their music even today - it reminds me of growing up, young love, lost loves, and everything else that goes with unforgettable memories ! So, here are my all time favorites kind of in order songs and albums !

1. Candle of Life

2. Nights in White Satin

3. The Other Side of Life

4. The Voice

5. Gypsy of a Strange and Distant Time

6. Tuesday Afternoon

7. Deep ( rarely heard off the 1988 Surlamer album )

8. Question

9. The Story in Your Eyes

10. I Know You're Out There Somewhere

11. Blue World

12. Your Wildest Dreams

13. Legend of a Mind

14. I'm Just a Singer ( In a Rock and Roll Band )

15. Dear Diary

1. A Question of Balance

2. Surlamer

3. To Our Children's , Children's , Children

So there you have it ! Mr. Flipper's picks of Moody Blues songs that really affected me ! So- I look forward to your song picks, album picks, any other stories you ave are welcome as well ! Whenever I hear them - it reminds me of my teen years . Folk- it really wasn't that long ago ! Peace to all, peace out, Mr. Flipper

• dinah
    dinah

Nights in White Satin, it's all sexy and eternal.

• tula
    tula

QUESTION.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YFZJK3arg

question..

I'm looking for someone to change my life,
    I'm looking for a miracle in my life
    And if you could see what it's done to me,
    To lose the love I knew,
    Could safely lead me to
    The land that I once knew,
    To learn as we grow old
    The secrets of our soul.

brilliant

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Ok Mr. Flipper I can talk with you for a long time on this subject.

The story begins with the first popular song out- Go Now. Excellent start to a long career for them.

The entire album of Days of Future Past is my all time favourite. That's because of back up with the London Festival Orchestra.

Favourite songs include-

For my Lady

Watching and Waiting

Ride My See Saw

Cities

Question

Many more as well.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I loved the songTuesday Afternoon!

I use to be in a class at age 13 where the most popular boy played with my hair.....I sat in front of him.

It was on Tuesday afternoons, in reality what a sad memory.

This was during the time I was a miserable JW kid, with no out.....That song always reminded me of that.

r.

• flipper
    flipper

DINAH- Yes, I agree ! Nights in White Satin is a really great song ! A classic ! A lonely man looking for love . I think that is what appealed about the song to me as a teenager when young . I related.

TULA- Question . A great anti- Vietnam war song !

TIJMKO- Question was a really meaningful song with anti-war references but also personal references as well. Great lyrics. Thanks for the u-tube !

WORLD TRAVELLER- Go Now ! Wow ! That takes us back a few years ! LOL! Indeed their first hit as a band , although it was the " early " Moody Blues without Justin Hayward or John Lodge. They joined a couple years later in 1966 . Days of Future Past is one of my favorite albums too by them ! They were one of the forst ifnot the first band to mix electric guitars with a backing orchestra ! Cities is a great song as well - very rare, don't hear it played much. Watching and Waiting - another gem that has a haunting melody but hasn't been played on the radio much ! Good picks ! Peace.

RESTRANGLED- Yeah. I loved Tuesday Afternoon as well. Still do. I can actually play it on the guitar somewhat . Love to sing the lyrics too, great lyrics. Some of their songs do bring up sad memories too, I agree. But they were kind of a sullen, minor chord type playing group who wrote a lot of songs to make people think deeply about life, qusetions in life , and being an individual to figure those questions out ! Really interesting group ! They are great in interviews as well- very personable ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• tula
    tula

Why do we never get an answer
    When we're knocking at the door
    With a thousand million questions
    About hate and death and war?
    'Cos when we stop and look around us,
    There is nothing that we need,
    In a world of persecution
    That is burning in its greed.

Why do we never get an answer
    When we're knocking at the door
    Because the truth is hard to swallowThat's what the war of love is for

• flipper
    flipper

TULA - Thanks for the " Question " lyrics ! It sure would be nice to plaster those on the White House steps about the Iraq war - right about now ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Time Zone - OCTAVE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit