This is my first post after many years of reading this site

by And He Ran 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• And He Ran
    And He Ran

Hi all

This is my first post after many years of reading this site. I am from the West Midlands, England. I was raised as a JW and got baptised aged 17, started "fading" whilst at university when I started to broaden my outlook and realised that all the so-called "worldly people" I had for so long been encouraged to avoid associating with were actually often open-minded, honest, generous and loyal people. At age 30 I eventually stopped going to the meetings, met a lovely non-JW girl, moved away from my home town and got married. I haven't been for meetings since 2004, but haven't been df'd, as I felt that it was far better to "manage my own exit" by deciding on what terms I was going to leave. Fading away enabled my family not to have to chose whether to shun me or not, as all my family are JWs - my father is an elder, my brother is an elder, all my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents are all JWs - I am the "black sheep" of the family, but they haven't cut me off. They even all came to my wedding last year, which was great to see. They seem to have respected my freedom of choice and do not nag me, which I greatly appreciate.

I was not so lucky with my so-called JW friends, unfortunately - nearly all of them cut me off. The past few years have been hard as I have been left with virtually no friends as nearly all my friends were JWs. I have at times felt guilty, at times lonely, at times angry, at times sad, at times incredibly bitter. But the main reason for posting this is to say thank you to all on this website forum whose comments I have drawn strength and encouragement from over the past few years. I have been reading this site for years and years and have never actually joined. Today I have joined, though regrettably I feel obliged to do it anonymously in case anyone identifies me who's still in the faith.

So, once again, thank you all for your comments and postings which have made me feel less like a "leper" than I did before. My guilt of leaving, so deep-ingrained guilt, is easing slowly.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Welcome to JWD And He Ran . Love your screen name.

Glad to hear you're working through your guilt. It's hard to get over when it's ingrained into you all your life. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Welcome, I love hearing people's exit stories. I also respect that you did what you did on your terms, not DAing or forceing anything, just letting things lie and settle.

Guilt can be a pain in the arse, but understanding it and defusing it is very important--I believe.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome to the forum.

You said:

I have at times felt guilty, at times lonely, at times angry, at times sad, at times incredibly bitter.

So have we all, and no one but former JW's could possibly understand this "legacy" of feelings we are left with after leaving. Now that you are officially here, I hope you enjoy the interaction with others and that it lessens the feelings of isolation.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I bet this forum had a lot to do with helping you exit on your own terms. I'm glad this board was here to show you the way.

Now give that wifey of yours a big hug and a smooch.

• llbh
    llbh

Wecome

I faded to do it on my terms

you have a pm

• besty
    besty

welcome to JWD And He Ran (AHR) ahhhrrrr - reminds me of National Talk Like A Pirate Day...anyway

I also lurked for a couple of years before posting - and likewise the comments on the board were a massive help - if not actually what pushed me over the edge to leave...

Stick in and you will make lots of friends here - why not start your own Apostafest?

All the best

Paul & Sam (SweetPea)

• Twitch
    Twitch

Welcome

• PEC
    PEC

alt

Philip

• Honesty
    Honesty

Whazzup Dude.

Good to meet ya.

Sorry to hear about your JW friends but glad to hear your family ain't shunning you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit