resident mormons: "Big Love"?

by inkling 40 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher
    That little show tries to make them come off as the “one and only true religion” with wholesome family values because their people dress nicely, have great big pearly white tooth smiles and wear pretty new dresses and easy-on easy-off snap on ties. The more white teeth smiles and snap on ties they can show in their cult brochures and TV Christmas specials, the more chance they have in catching hungry and clueless converts with those superficial and metaphysical fish hooks.

Seven, they almost got me on this one as a young teen...but one look at a book about their doctrines showed me what they really were!

• Quandry
    Quandry

There are real reasons to leave the LDS (or any) faith - reasons like - I'm not happy there, I hate the meetings, paying 10% of my money blows chunks, I have no friends, I miss drinking and so on... If you can find a happier life elsewhere then all power to you - those are real reasons for leaving and ones that I can listen to

Now we come to the real reason you stay with the LDS.

I have more respect for a person that just simply says, "I don't care what the history of the Church is, or its beliefs, I just wanna be one," than for anyone who refutes scientific evidence (such as DNA and archeology) with "It's all lies."

I can see that you are happy being LDS. I will leave you alone, as I think life is short (I am 56 now and the realization really starts to hit) and happiness is paramount in life.

I cannot live with being told I must believe and support half-truths and made-up dogma. Tha't's one reason I am not a JW anymore.

That being said, I still don't know why you spend precious time defending your position in many of the anti-Mormon threads here. You are definetely NOT "preaching to the choir" on this site and I would think it must bring frustration and lesson your happiness. Nevertheless, if you must..........

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

What I said was this:

I say freely and openly that I am LDS now and forever because that is, quite simply, what I am. I have no intention of ever changing it. I was an adult when I was baptized LDS, after a very long search, and after reading every bit of anti-LDS literature I could find, and taking the time to debunk every bit of it, one by one. So you see, I know it can be done. Easily. Because of that early effort, I have no fear of what anyone says against the Church. If anyone cares to draw conclusions beyond that, feel free, but you will most likely be wrong.

Isn't it lovely how this simple statement was morphed by so many of you into "SusanHere says she's read and debunked EVERYTHING EVER SAID against the LDS Church!!!!"

What a bunch of brainiacs you are.

I've heard enough of your twisting of my very, very, VERY clear words to last a lifetime. Let me try again in simpler terms:

When I was all grown up I thought I might want to be LDS. (Are the syllables small enough yet?) So I drove my car to the place where they keep all those books. (Library has 3 syllables, can't use it.) I found the ones that said bad things about LDS. I took them home. All of them. I read them. All of them. I could see what was right and what was wrong in them. Not much was right. A lot was wrong. It was easy. I found more books. I read them. All of them. I could see what was right and what was wrong in them. Not much was right. A lot was wrong. It was easy. I found more books. Now I have no fear of big bad books with bad things about LDS. Now I have no fear when grown ups using big loud voices yell and shout and write bad things about my Church.

Is this clearer?

Now, where at ANY TIME did I say that I had read EVERYTHING EVER SAID against the LDS Church? Or that I can answer ANY challenge anyone cares to throw at LDS people?

Truthfully, I really don't care what you think of my chosen religion. I never asked any of you to embrace it. I never expected any of you to suddenly see the light and start playing MoTab recordings. And I certainly have better things to do with my time than to waste it in futile attempts at enlightening those individuals determined to find nothing but evil in my religion!

Your constant mocking and ignorance is not earning any respect from me. You want answers? I can give you a whole list of lovely websites with all the answers any open minded person would want. Of course, that does leave most of you out, doesn't it?

Lastly, this thread was about a TV show. It asked "resident mormons" OUR opinion of one TV show. I really doubt if the creater of this thread intended for it to turn into a hatefest against all things Mormon. Go take a chill pill. Or three or four. Life is supposed to be fun. Go enjoy it.

SusanHere

Signing off this thread and wishing all good people peace!!

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

"Car" ended up being a hyperlink. I don't know why and repeated attempts didn't remove it. Sorry! Not anything I did, so just don't click on it.

SusanHere, who really is off this thread now

• seven006
    seven006

Susan, Susan, Susan…

If you go back and re-read the first post from the person who started this thread they asked for comments from (and I cut and paste) (sorry Q I know how much you hate that but sometimes it is more effective) ”

“if anyone here who is a mormon or used to be one or is connected to mormons”

My son use to date one until he asked and then found out the truth about them. He got the meat before the milk and then after laughing his ass off, he threw up. MY BAD!

The JW’s, Scientoligist, Moonies, and most of the minority cult like religions made in the USA use that same exact tactic (go figure).

So, once again you are using a cult like religion’s tactic of diversion along with the tactic of “discrediting” (“they asked for only Mormons to comment” not all you idiots (sniff- sniff cry-cry divert attention from me NOW! in the name of Joseph Smith). Then you do exactly what you are claiming that others do and calling us all here ignorant.

You’re not all that smart are you? But then again you don’t need to be because “you know what you know because you know it and you have the truth behind you.”

All us ignorant people have heard it all before from the other people trying to sell their god products to us.

Maybe next time you will think twice before jumping on an ex-Mormon who joins this forum or saying we are all ignorant.

But then again, thinking twice seems to be outside of your minds capabilities. That happens when a mind has been so effectively programmed like a Pavlovian doggy. One bit of stimulus and only one repetitious reaction to that stimulus.

Have a Happy Happy Joy Joy (Mormon talk) day.

Dave

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Have a Happy Happy Joy Joy (Mormon talk) day.

"Mormon talk"? .... not a chance. I've been around many mormons for several years and I've never heard them say that (sounds more like Hari-Krishna "talk".

Maybe next time you will think twice before jumping on an ex-Mormon who joins this forum or saying we are all ignorant.

Well, that's a good tactic, isn't it. Verbally gang-tackle someone who's giving their opinion and defending it, How is it that you're "hurt" by being called ignorant when it seems the whole board is essentially using their posts to call her the same thing?

If people don't respect others' religion - fine, but why go overboard in not respecting a person's right to believe what they will without being lambasted? too reasonable perhaps? (just a thought)

• seven006
  • Double Edge
    Double Edge

The title of a children's song cd proves the "mormon talk"? riiiiiiiight

http://cdbaby.com/cd/melaniehoffman/from/greatindiemusic

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Just a quick note to all who took part in this thread!

Having been buried in the latest Thomas Covenant book (oooo its good) I have only just returned to JWD to be pleasantly surprised by the lack of verbal walloping that I probably deserved for my last post on this thread.

One note I wanted to say about 'evidences' for the BOM - there are evidences (look at pro LDS sites and you'll see plenty) but evidence doesn't equal 100% proof. If ever anyone finds some utterly bona fide proof I'm sure you won't need me to post it. Whenever I post about these things its NOT to have a willy war about it but just to provide balance. I don't honestly give a fig if people believe in golden plates or not but I do believe strongly in providing cerebral choice.

As for me being/remaining a member because it makes me happy - that's absolutely spot on. That is exactly why I do it. Its funny but I doubt that many people are ever theologically converted (at first) - they join because of others and then passivate their own ideas and accept the group think. As a missionary I used to recap people's knowledge after they got baptised and to be honest about 50% were of the 'Joseph who..' variety - they could have been joining the local karate club for all they remembered but they all had new friends, acceptance, a feeling of belonging and so forth. If anyone joins any organisation that makes them feel worse I suggest that, short of it being the local gym, leave!

FM - I owe you a grovel - I re-read what I said to you and it was pretty butt clenching - ignore it - you have no need to justify yourself to me or anyone.

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

I've said a few winners I've regretted later too.

If you have any links to any of the evidences, that would be appreciated.

Best,

FM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit