Taste/Scent Related Memories - Have you ever had one of those....

by Crumpet 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Have you ever had one of those intoxicating moments where you are walking down a supermarket aisle and you suddenly caught a perfume that you'd not smelt since you were small and it brought back a flood of memories, your first grade teacher, an auntie?

Or a taste? I just had a taste moment - I kind of feel bad about admitting to it though. I just bit into a plump juicy blackberry from Mexico (hence the guilt) and whilst its not the first blackberry I've had in twenty-five years it reminded me of one of the first, wandering gorse laden cliffs in Wales, under a dizzyingly blue sky, our skin scorching outide the realms of our floppy hats, with my two little sisters on short chubby legs, safe enough to be out of our parent's sight, collecting berries for a pie whilst my parents made love back in the chalet. Eating so many none of us wanted pie by the time we got back to the chalet. The taste brought back the memory so strongly I reeled a little in my kitchen.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Absolutely. Scents are invariably tied to memory. Some good, some bad.

I love to go for a drive in the country when the farmers are cutting the hay. The smell of the freshly cut hay brings back pleasant memories from my childhood.

The smell of lilacs reminds me of the abandonded farm house I used to frequent. I'd go there and lay in the old yard, surrounded by the blooming lilac trees, inhaling their sweet scent, picturing what life must have been like there many many years ago. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, crickets chirping, the grass is soft and sweet. *sigh* I can't wait for spring!

Perfume of a favourite teacher, cologne from an old boyfriend. The smell of apple pie that I used to help my gran prepare. I could go on.

BB

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

The five senses are key to memories, which is why the society deprives you of them for the meetings. It's not a coincidence that the material lulls you into a sleep...only the sleep isn't quite as innocent as we would like to believe.

I have a ton that I can't even really see that get triggered every now and then. The trunk of a car is a particularly strong one.

WLG

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Absolutely. There was this beautiful, ethereal creature I had in some HS classes in Ridgetown, Ontario back in the early 70's. Red hair, green/yellow eyes, olive complexion, masonry outhouse figure . .sigh . . . I was hopelessly stricken. But being the geek I was I was totally outclassed.

Anyway, she used to wear the original "Ambush" perfume. I am 54 years old now, but whenever I smell that scent I *still* instantly flash back to her in my minds eye. It is and always was a very intense flashback.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Ahh...roasted green chili. aw man.

A new book.

Fresh sheets with linen water

eucalyptus fresh

rosemary bush

the smell of fresh washed hair

rain in the dessert (there is this plant that lights up the whole town when wet)

pinon wood burning

dragons blood incence

Persian Amber

human skin glistening with suntan lotion from a day on the beach

a fine cigar (a really fine one)

cherry tobbacco

fresh bread out of the oven (yeast)

ginger any way. Dried, candied, fresh is the best

A wood stove period

baby's heads...the top of a newborns head

little kids fresh out of the bath with baby lotion on

new shoes

a leather coat

paul sebastian hair spray...WTF?

I could go on and on...I am a big sniffer!

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

oh and tastes...

Thai sweet rice with coconut and a mango slice...OMG!

bananna pudding

a mequite bean when ripe

grape leaves off the vine

apricots when not ripe off the tree..with salt

Dixon apples (A NM thing)

a cinnamon stick to suck on

bubbles from a bubble bath. The taste of them....lol

fresh cream from the dairy

real butter

fresh mint leaves just picked...the smell and taste...OOOOOH

banana pudding....

and hot bread pudding with heated liquor over it.....to die for

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Many good and bad.

Old Spice cologne - my first lover, an incredibly beautiful and sweet man. The sense of seeing his body, feeling his skin, hearing his voice.

I'll skip the bad ones for this upbeat thread!

• Johnna
    Johnna

The smell of fresh cut grass reminds me of football season and.... CHEERLEADERS!

• JK666
    JK666

Scents and tastes are a trigger for memories for me too. I think I am more inclined to be influenced by music associated with memories though.

JK

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Bumblebee - that was so evocative - you had me lolling in the haystacks there!

Sparkplug - pure poetry! I've never had dragonsblood incense wafted under my nostrils though so can we make that a date and you bring some over to Hemp Lovers in May?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit