Solomons Salary: $666

by tula 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Neo
    Neo

Nark,

the dominant circulation of Roman coins usually bearing the portrait and the name of the emperor was resented as idolatrous by the strictest religious nationalistic sections of Judaism, as testified by the denarius controversy in the Synoptic Gospels (where "Jesus"' argument rests on the question "whose money is it?"), and by the "changers" in the temple courtyard who exchanged the acceptable Tyrian money for the unacceptable Roman one...

Is there any other evidence outside the Synoptic tradition attesting the religious understanding of some Jews that the Roman coin was idolatrous?

Neo

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Neo,

Interesting question, I'm not sure about that, it would take some research and I haven't got the time or the documentation at hand right now. Let's hope Leolaia comes across this thread.

One indirect evidence is that among the first acts of both Jewish revolts against Rome (66-73 and 132-135 AD) was the minting of Jewish money (many coins of both silver and bronze have been found from those periods).

Otoh, the use of Tyrian money in the temple precincts (and more widely in Jerusalem) is later explained in the Talmud by monetary (it was of better quality, i.e., it contained more silver than the Roman and Greek coins!) and nominal considerations (it suited the use of "Temple shekel" in the Torah), rather than by avoidance of idolatry (after all, many Tyrian coins bore a representation of the god Melqart, but this was probably not understood in Judea).

Many local Roman coins did not have the face of the emperor (to avoid upsetting the Jews?), although some of those minted under Pontius Pilate (notorious for his disdain of Judaism) did have religious Roman symbols like the augureal rod (lituus) and libation cup (simpulum). In the second half of the 1st century, under Herod Agrippa II, the portrait of the ruling emperor (including Nero), with his name and the Greek religious title of sebastos = Augustus, became the rule.

Of course, as far as Revelation is concerned, the situation in Asia Minor would be more relevant, but the feeling of the Jewish (let alone "Christian") communities would have mattered much less I suppose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit