Online games

by RollerDave 15 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

My step-mother (in her 60's) spends many many many hours on Runescape (barf). She talks about the people she meets there and whatnot. I don't get it. I have been on this board for many years and yet I don't feel like I really "know" anybody here except for those that I've met in person. How can you feel like you know somebody when your only contact with them has been over the internet?

• 5go
    5go

Especially with the fake IDs we create for online.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

To be honest I think it goes beyond playing games online, I met a girl on an IRC chat room and got to know her over a period of several months swapping emails, IRC chat, phone calls and MSN messages.

As I was on the phone to a travel agent booking my flight tickets to Canada to meet her IRL she messaged me to tell me that she had 3 kids and had only split with her boyfriend a month before - several months into our "relationship".

It was an interesting experience; I still flew out and met her, stayed for a couple of days and went backpacking round Quebec and Ontario. What it did teach me was that it is easy to take online relationships at face value when a large part of one's online persona is about escapism/anonimity.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances;
    And one man in his time plays many parts...

Life is whatever you want it to be, if you want your life to be an adventure RPG, that's fine. Who's to say that your flesh and blood relatives and friends are any more 'real' or even worthwhile than your friends online avatars, or even entirely fictional characters.

You co-workers are just playing the part. They act like professionals, but they're really not, when they're alone they act completely different then when they're around you. They think what they want, and say something completely different. The same goes for your parents, friends and enemies. Maybe no-one is ever truly themselves, except in their own mind and dreams, and maybe, just maybe, in the anonymity of the internet. Sure, it might not be their real name, or gender, or age, or race, or home planet. But I'll bet that the anonymity allows them to show more of their REAL personality then they ever would face-to-face.

I'm not saying that online games are more or less worthwhile than "real life". I'm saying that your "real" friends are probably a lot less real than you think.

Lore - W.W.S.D?

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

See Lore you gotta believe, I keep saying it's a matter of faith....

Oh wait? is this the wrong thread?

J/K!

RD

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Hei, Dave,

I've little to tell you about on- line games since I don't play any and (I assume) no one plays at home either. Hope you're well, getting over daily worries. Just about your locked thread : you evidently had an overflow of resentment to let go. A bit risky to express publicly, as you've experienced and, please allow me to add, it was a bit over the top. But we all have moments like this. Now, I agree on some of your convictions : you can be an ex-JW and still be a strong believer, and having a conservative sensitivity (I do) is not a sin as far as I know. As for the rest, that's your freedom, I leave it to you...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit