Asteroid 2007 TU24 is comming!

by 5go 28 Replies latest social current

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    There is a Hypothesis floating around that this asteroid my be affected more by the earth magnetic field than previously thought possible. This comes after a surprise event that occurred with the passing of the Holmes comet. It reacted strangely and it's dust cloud became the largest object in the solar system for a while. Scientists are thinking if this asteroid is charged negatively and passes through earth's positive magnetic field it might change it's orbit drastically. It's a hypothesis yet to proven this might prove it.

5g0, a comet is very different from an asteroid. A comet is loosely packed to call it basically a dusty snowball is not far from the truth. It outgasses due to solar heating and the solar wind and photon pressure blows the ejecta into the classic tail shape. I could see where maybe a strong field might induce a change in the rate at which the comet is ejecting debris causing a flare up. Maybe the effect caused a release in pent up pressure inside the cometary body. But that is not the same as being magnetically pushed off course.

Asteroids generally don't form comas. They are much denser and more solid than comets. Lets do a quick back of the envelope calc here. Assuming that the asteroid is a carbonaceous chondrite (and not the denser iron/nickel type which would be much more massive) it would have a density similar to that of a lump of rock like coal, (1500 Kg per cubic meter) and assuming the minimum size (150 meters) and a spherical shape (I doubt it these guys are always irregular!) we would get a mass of about 2650718801 Kgs. Or, in other words 2.65 million metric tons. I have never heard of a magnetic field in the solar system strong enough to push an object that massive off course in such a short time (it is what, 6 days to perigee now?).

Scientists are thinking if this asteroid is charged negatively and passes through earth's positive magnetic field it might change it's orbit drastically.

Don't all magnets have two poles, a negative and a positive?

Burn

• 5go
    5go

Don't all magnets have two poles, a negative and a positive?

Burn

Yes but if you under stand electromagnetism an object can be negatively charged and hence be attached to positively charged magnetic fields. Though it still can have positive magnetic pole.

BTW scientist don't know what the charge of TU24 is it might be positive and pushed away. Which is a good reason to hide info they don't know for sure what if anything will happen.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTW scientist don't know what the charge of TU24 is it might be positive and pushed away.

I am not a professional scientist.

• 5go
    5go
    I am not a professional scientist.

If you ever a kid in a dry climate you might have experienced what they think might happen. I used to run around rubbing my feet on a carpet to build up static electricity. Then hold the back of my hand up to something and look at the hairs on the back of my hand stand up. It's basicaly this on a planetary scale. Which this is what happen to the Holmes comet and it's dust cloud. The only problem is an asteriod doesn't have a dust cloud to form a short and balance the charges. Which will if this does happen the asteriod it's self will pulled into doing the short. Which would to me as a kid be that spark that bit me doing the above thing. Which was kind fun to get people with it.

• stillajwexelder
  • 5go
    5go

Of course a bright fellow like me could just stumble on a Hoax.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2008/01/21/repeat-after-me-asteroid-2007-tu24-is-no-danger-to-earth/

It's no danger after all.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Of course a bright fellow like me could just stumble on a Hoax.

I tried to tell you!

• 5go
    5go
    I tried to tell you!

I have admitted my mistake may you will some time.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

That whole article is pseudoscience bullsht written by an uneducated moron and propagated by the gullible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit