Who is the Alpha and the Omega in the Bible? The First and the Last?

by Chalam 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi all,
    Was just reading the New World Translation Unholy Scriptures and posted this in another thread but I think it is worth a thread of its own :) See if you agree.

OK the term 'Alpha and Omega' appears three times in the bible. Revelation 1:8, 21:6 and 22:13. I will use the NWT to highlight their own error.

Rev 1:8 “I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga,” says Jehovah God, “the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty.”

"Yes Jehovah is the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, praise his holy name" the JW cries.

Rev 21:5 And the One seated on the throne said: “Look! I am making all things new.” Also, he says: “Write, because these words are faithful and true.” 6 And he said to me: “They have come to pass! I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga, the beginning and the end.

"Yes Jehovah is seated on the throne, the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, as I said before, amen!" the JW retorts.

Rev 22:12 “‘Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. 13 I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. 14 Happy are those who wash their robes, that the authority [to go] to the trees of life may be theirs and that they may gain entrance into the city by its gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritism and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie.’
    16 “‘I, Jesus, sent my angel to bear witness to YOU people of these things for the congregations. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star.’”
    17 And the spirit and the bride keep on saying: “Come!” And let anyone hearing say: “Come!” And let anyone thirsting come; let anyone that wishes take life’s water free.
    18 “I am bearing witness to everyone that hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll; 19 and if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things which are written about in this scroll.
    20 “He that bears witness of these things says, ‘Yes; I am coming quickly.’”
    “Amen! Come, Lord Jesus.”

So who is the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end, and coming quickly? Jesus, the text says in the NWT says it clearly.

Jesus is seated on the throne, Jesus and the Father are one,

NTW John 10:30 "I and the Father are one.”

Jesus created all things (i.e. not Himself)

NWT John 1:3 All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.

etc. etc. etc.

As the NWT puts it

John 12:44 However, Jesus cried out and said: “He that puts faith in me puts faith, not in me [only], but in him [also] that sent me;

So where is your faith?

All the best,
    Stephen

• Rooster
    Rooster

Rbi8Matthew28:16-20***

However, the eleven disciples went into Gal´i·lee to the mountain where Jesus had arranged for them, 17 and when they saw him they did obeisance, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things."

Rbi8John20:17-18***

Jesus said to her: "Stop clinging to me. For I have not yet ascended to the Father. But be on your way to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and YOUR Father and to my God and YOUR God.’" 18 Mary Mag´da·lene came and brought the news to the disciples: "I have seen the Lord!" and that he said these things to her.

Rbi8John21:1-3***

After these things Jesus manifested himself again to the disciples at the sea of Ti·be´ri·as; but he made the manifestation in this way. 2 There were in company Simon Peter and Thomas, who was called The Twin, and Na·than´a·el from Ca´na of Gal´i·lee and the sons of Zeb´e·dee and two others of his disciples. 3 Simon Peter said to them: "I am going fishing." They said to him: "We also are coming with you." Out they went and got aboard the boat, but during that night they caught nothing.
  • mouthy
    mouthy

First & last ... Isa 44:6, Isa 48:12,Isa 41:4 Old testament

Rev 1:17,Rev 2:8, Rev 22:13 New "
    In MY understanding Jesus is the ALPHA & Omega !!!! He came didnt he?But then as you all know I believe Jesus is God! I also believe THEY are ONE!!!! Father! SON! & Holy Spirit.
    All rocks thrown will be used in my Rock Garden

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Will it really break anyones faith if they we're not one. What does it matter? Perhaps everyone is wrong and it is a relationship no human could understand. Has anyone ever given credit to that thought? Perhaps both JW's and you trinitarians are both wrong.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Perhaps both JW's and you trinitarians are both wrong.

Yes you could be right. Reading the book

"The Myth of Certainty" By Daniel Taylor But we cant help seeking. & as a JW I felt I had the TRUTH, as a Christian ....My HOPE is in the LORD!!!! I KNOW JW are the Liars, not the people Just the one who runs it SATAN>>>>

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Well it always annoys me that christians want to do the same thing JW's do which is take something that really has nothing to do with the main point of the NT which is love and try to force the Trinity or Hellfire in as some end all be all to believing. I think Jesus could care less if we believe or do not believe in these very minor things so long as we are above all else proving our love for everyone.

• joebin
    joebin

I realize there's a discrepancy in the NWT, it's actually saying two different things, but I was hoping to see how other versions had translated the same texts.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Well it always annoys me that christians want to do the same thing JW's do which is take something that really has nothing to do with the main point of the NT which is love and try to force the Trinity or Hellfire in as some end all be all to believing. I think Jesus could care less if we believe or do not believe in these very minor things so long as we are above all else proving our love for everyone .

It seems to me that Jesus spoke of some of these very things you mention are of minor importance.

• joebin
    joebin

I agree Burger

• JeffT
    JeffT

A good many Bible Scholars (of the real kind - with things like PhD's and knowledge of Greek and Hebrew) will admit that the Trinity is an attempt to explain something that can't be understood by humans. That doesn't make it wrong, its just the best way we can get our heads around it.

In one of the Revelation books (or maybe all of them, that drivel runs together in my head) one of those passages is explained by having Jehovah annouce that he's the Alpha and Omega smack dab in the middle of Jesus' speech. Apparently Jehovah likes to interupt his son for no particular reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit