"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character...

by digderidoo 261 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

In my case, "evidently" means using what's available until something else - either pro or anti - is discovered.

I've long shaken the dust off my feet against the WT and its deceptive reasoning, so try again.

Sylvia

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

We would all love having the answers to perplexing questions.

Too true, Snow (and I appreciate your posts here and elsewhere). But my point, as I suspect you also might understand, is that some things seem so wrapped in myth that they should not really be taken seriously.

• inkling
    inkling
    I've long shaken the dust off my feet against the WT and its deceptive reasoning

I guess this is not clear to me. I think self-deceptive reasoning is exactly what is still on your feet.

[inkling]

• inkling
    inkling

well, I feel this debate starting to decend, and it's making me a little sad, so I think I will be bowing out.

Thank you so much snowbird for your faith and patience, and please forgive me if I trespassed on you personally.

Fair travels,

[inkling]

• Open mind
    Open mind

Let me put this another way Sylvia. Let's say I'm gonna sell you some real estate. A "real place". And here's what the county records show as to the land's history:

(BTW, before reading this, a disclaimer is warranted. I in no way think you, or Southerners in general are dumb. The point I'm trying to make with my "county records" is that some portions of the Bible read just like something a "stereotypical" dumb redneck would have come up with. Ok, here goes.)

This is the family tree of Pappy the Yocumite.

Now Pappy and his kinfolk lived down South. In the land of Dixie.

Pappy had a whole bunch of big strappin' boys. Some girls too, but they're not worth mentioning since they're just property.

The boys names were: Lotan-iah, Shobal-agumbo, Flibber-de-Zibeon, Anah'll-seeyaandraiseyatwo, No-Dishon-mytable, Ezer-rightdownthere, and No-Dishan-mychair.

(I'm too lazy to come up with names for all Pappy's grand-kids so I'll skip right down to...........)

The sons of No-Dishan-mychair: Buz and Starin.

Now let's just back the story up a bit so we don't get lost. Pappy's kin started intermarrying with the Hatfields somewhere along the line, and the area they lived in came to be known as West Virginia.

One of Pappy's bazillion grandkids was named Buz according to the story.

And now here comes the big guess: Many years go by and then some area in a local story is referred to as the "Land of Buz". We ASSUME it's the same Buz that was Pappy's grandson. And all we can guess about the "Land of Buz" is that it's PROBABLY somewhere in West Virginia. Provided that our assumption was correct that the "Land of Buz" was actually named after Pappy's grandson in the first place.

Now would you buy a piece of property with this kind of "due diligence"?

OM

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you.

My patience grows thin, but my faith grows thick.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

OM

Depends on who's selling. If it's the Judge of the whole earth, in a nanosecond.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Ah ain't buyin that there land, OM. Ah don't even really need to know where it is, ezzackly. Ah reckon they renamed that whole neck o the woods after the yankees won the war anyways. Carpetbaggers are probably squattin on it as we speak. Ain't possible to even tell if there is even a clear deed to that parcel. For mah own purposes, ah just needs to know what kind of lessons the life stories of all dem folks teach me. Learn from their mistakes, and see where that particlar thread in the big tapestry leads to.

Burn

• Open mind
    Open mind

Well, hey, at least I didn't offend Sylvia, so I guess I did alright on that score.

As to online debating, I think I lurk much better than I type. I think my "help" just muddied the waters. Sorry, VoidEater, inkling, et al.

Just thought I'd get a little practice in. Maybe someday I'll be able to go toe-to-toe with you guys.

Cheers.

*disconnects keyboard. grabs popcorn*

• snowbird
    snowbird

Well, hey, at least I didn't offend Sylvia, so I guess I did alright on that score.

Offend me? No, of course not. I lurked for 7 years before I joined, so I feel as if I "know" most posters.

All posters project an aura - good or bad. Yours is always good.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit