"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character...

by digderidoo 261 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

snowbird:

I believe the Bible because it deals with real people, times, and places. No once upon a time in a far away land to be found within its pages!

Job 1:1 (New Living Translation)
    New Living Translation (NLT)
    Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers.

Job 1
    Prologue
    1 There once was a man named Job who lived in the land of Uz. He was blameless—a man of complete integrity. He feared God and stayed away from evil.

Uz...............Oz.............Mos Isely..............Alderan..........Potayto................Potahto.........

Even Biblical apologist websites acknowledge that NOBODY knows where "Uz"........................ wuz.

I love ya Snowbird, and I love how you've hung in here this long, but I couldn't let this one pass.

OM

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Even Biblical apologist websites acknowledge that NOBODY knows where "Uz"........................ wuz.

Genesis 36:20 -21 This is the family tree of Seir the Horite, who were native to that land: Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, Dishon, Ezer, and Dishan. These are the chieftains of the Horites, the sons of Seir in the land of Edom.

22 The sons of Lotan were Hori and Homam; Lotan's sister was Timna.

23 The sons of Shobal were Alvan, Manahath, Ebal, Shepho, and Onam.

24 The sons of Zibeon were Aiah and Anah—this is the same Anah who found the hot springs in the wilderness while herding his father Zibeon's donkeys.

25 The children of Anah were Dishon and his daughter Oholibamah.

26 The sons of Dishon were Hemdan, Eshban, Ithran, and Keran.

27 The sons of Ezer: Bilhan, Zaavan, and Akan.

28 The sons of Dishan: Uz and Aran.

29 -30 And these were the Horite chieftains: Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, Dishon, Ezer, and Dishan—the Horite chieftains clan by clan in the land of Seir.

Seir the Horite and Esau aka Edom intermarried, and the area in which they lived came to be known as the land of Edom. As I said, real places and real people.

Sylvia

• Open mind
    Open mind

Duly noted snowbird.

I must admit I got a bit of a chuckle when I read this part of what you quoted:

this is the same Anah who found the hot springs in the wilderness while herding his father Zibeon's donkeys.

Now be honest, doesn't reading that bring even a teeny-tiny little smile to your face? I almost spewed tea all over my monitor when I read it. Sounds like a couple of old geezers who have lived in the same woods their whole life sitting out on the porch trying to give directions to an out-of-towner. Very unreliable directions.

My point is that these names and places are pretty sketchy as we look back. So sketchy that even Bible promoters freely admit that nobody knows where Uz.............wuz. The best they can come up with is a couple of vague guesses. If you can pinpoint the location so that it becomes a "real place" I'd love to hear about it.

OM

• snowbird
    snowbird

I tried to edit my last post to say that the families of Seir and Esau intermarried.

The land of Uz was evidently somewhere in that territory. The same territory was often called by different names, e.g., the land of Egypt being called the land of Ham or the field of Zoan.

The Bible is simply fascinating!

Sylvia

• inkling
    inkling
    where "Uz"........................ wuz.

lol!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    My point is that these names and places are pretty sketchy as we look back.

As we look back being the key words. To the contemporaneous people, it was as plain as our computer monitors.

So sketchy that even Bible promoters freely admit that nobody knows where Uz.............wuz. The best they can come up with is a couple of vague guesses. If you can pinpoint the location so that it becomes a "real place" I'd love

Still doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'd love it if someone can pinpoint Atlantis.

Sylvia

• inkling
    inkling

The land of Uz was evidently somewhere in that territory.

Sometimes, "Evidently" can be translated as "we are making this up, becuase we need to it be true"

When Jesus Christ was on earth he stated: "I began to behold Satan already fallen like lightning from heaven." (Luke 10:18) Does this mean that by that time Satan the Devil had already been ousted from heaven?

No. We are not Scripturally justified in taking that view of Jesus’ statement recorded at Luke 10:18. Christ was evidently referring to a future event but was moved to do so on the basis of current happenings.

[ink]

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Um...is Atlantis mentioned in the Bible? If Uz is like Atlantis, then I suspect the way they are alike is that "maybe there was a place called that at one time, but it's actual existence has become the stuff of fable"...in other words, no one can say any more, and it may as well be myth...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Sometimes, "Evidently" can be translated as " we are making this up, becuase we need to it be true "

Occasionally we se an attack on the actual words others choose to use because we cannot convince them of our own ideas, be they right or wrong.

Evidently, sometimes this can be translated as: "I am frustrated but I desperately need to get a dig in even if it is a non sequitur".

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Um...is Atlantis mentioned in the Bible?

My "Atlantis" statement was a retort to Open Mind's comment that he would love it if I could pinpoint the exact location of Uz. Meaning? We would all love having the answers to perplexing questions.

I suspect you know that, though.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit