Ita Buttrose quoted in 15th Sept WT

by why144000 16 Replies latest jw friends

• why144000
    why144000

I realise that the name Ita Buttrose may not ring any bells with most of the people frequenting this board. Last Sunday WT study used a quote in the first paragraph from the Australian Womens Weekly a monthly (?) magazine here in Australia. As usual the quote was not referenced so it was a bit hard to find the original quotation but, it comes from an article from Ita Buttrose, a well known personality in Australia. Her credits at the bottom of the page state that she is a regular panelist on Beauty and the Beast and is the author of 4 books. Her novel. What is love, will be published soon. She also had a song written about her by the band Cold Chisel saying I believe, I believe 'cause Ita told me so.

I am disappointed that the society needed to use a quote from the womens weekly to support a study article. What is next, using the national enquirer as the authoritive source on extra terrestial beings?

Fair go! the WT has sunk to new lows

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Why: Living in thje USA I am unfamiliar with the Austialian Women's Weekly. Judging from your comments, it must not be a credible journal. Using such sources is a frequent tactic of the Watchtower writers. I truly believe that these people who write the Watchtower do not understand even basic high school journalism. There are some basic rules:

Correctly quote a source (don't put words in their mouth).
    Verify the Source is the source (don't accept hearsay).
    Independently confirm what the source said (cover your ass from suit).
    Make sure the source is credible (is in a position to know).

A cool Experience: To illusstrate the importance of your post, I must go back in time to when I was leaving the Watch Tower religion in 1992.

Alan F. who posts a lot here is very strong in the sciences. His background is in the electronics engineering discipline. I share a similar discipline with him in that I was an electrical engineer in the nuclear power industry, engaging in testing and analysis. I did that type of work for about 25 years. Both of our professional backgrounds demand accuracy, and proper use of source information. Today, I work in commercial real estate, property management and court receivership. Likewise, I produce various reports all of which must be accurate, use credible sources, etc.

One day, Alan F came up to my house as we got to know one another during our exit process from the JWs. He had completed a critque of the JW book on Evolution. His work totaled about 500 pages. So it was obviously very detailed.

I looked at the references that Alan critqued, and he pointed out to me how the Watch Tower based much of the book on what a British TV fiction-tabloid writer said. They also quoted from such sources as "Popular Science" which is a tabloid version of science journalism.

I was shocked: My utter amazement was at two very important things: 1) That the Society uses such poor references, poor quoting methods, and 2) That I misssed all this, even though I am a professional in the sciences, and in some level of law.

The average JW who grows up in the religion, never goes beyond High School, and ends up working part time janitorial jobs to survive waiting on Armageddon, stands a slim chance of seeing or understanding the fraud that is being perpetrated upon them.

Thanks for your good post that raises a great issue. - Amazing

• sleepy
    sleepy

Amazing or Alan F
    Is this book you speak of available anyware?
    I would be interested in seeing it.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Amazing, do you know if Alanf makes his research on Evolution available? I would like to have it.

Slipnslidemaster:"The average person thinks he isn't."
    - Father Larry Lorenzoni

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Neither am I familiar with The Australian Women's Weekly, so I decided to take a peek at the current issue:

http://www.lifestyle.ninemsn.com.au/aww/Home/articles/Home/article32.asp

My favorite current article:

WAR ON TERRORISM - A LETTER FROM JEMIMA

Jemima Khan, the former English socialite who converted to Islam when she married Pakistani cricketing legend and politician Imran Khan, gives her unique perspective on the possibly catastrophic effects of US strikes in Afghanistan on her adopted homeland.

This one also looks promising:

MY 10 DAYS IN A TALIBAN JAIL

British Journalist, Yvonne Ridley was held captive by Afghanistan's ruling Taliban for 10 days. In this month's issue of The Australian Women's Weekly we publish Yvonne's exclusive diary detailing her capture, imprisonment and interrogation by the Taliban. Yvonne Ridley also reveals that she shared a cramped and "squalid hell-hole" with "feisty" Australian aid worker Diana Thomas.

If nothing else, you've got to love the names. I am sorely tempted to create an alternate identity as Jemima Buttrose.

Meanwhile, don't neglect the good ol' Weekly World News. This week you can learn how to LEASE YOUR SOUL TO SATAN with an option to fry.

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/index.cfm

FIND ME A WOMAN BEFORE I EXPLODE!

Has Slipnslidemaster granted Weekly World News an exclusive interview? Enquiring minds want to know!

Ginny

• blondie
  • Stephanus
    Stephanus

Although the Australian Womens Weekly has become little more than a gossip column (but hardly deserving of being lumped together with The Weekly World News and the National Enquirer!), Ita herself is no lightweight, either intellectually or as a businesswoman. Apart from Kerry Packer himself, there's no other person in the magazine business I'd have less desire to cross! She's got more balls than most males in the profession over here (apart from Kerry - how can he help it, he even looks like a giant scrotum)!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Ita Butrose is one of Australias most well respected commentors on social issues and the Australian Womans Weekly is a respected and well loved institution here.

What is shocking about the WBTS is that they'll use and distort the work and opinions of well known people to thier own power craving ends. JWs in Australia will cream thier pants if any indication is given that Ita sympathises with the Brooklyn zombie cult. Ita would be truly agast and more than likely seek legal address if she found they used her good name and reputation in that way.

Journalism in general has slid a long way but comparing Australian Womans Weekly to lampooning rags like The National Enquirer is just silly. Shallow and as short on opinion as A.W.W. is the two papers are nothing alike are aimed at different readerships.

Ita what a beaudy!, unclebeast

PS: Glad i resisted making a joke about the Womans Weekly now really being the Womans Monthly.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    PS: Glad i resisted making a joke about the Womans Weekly now really being the Womans Monthly.

And we didn't miss it a bit! LOL

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

They're not changing the name .. Womans Monthly Rag hasn't a very good aura about it Stephanus!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit