Sexual Harassment

by reneeisorym 61 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Would have totally freaked me. I have zero tolerance for such groping about in my sex life. Should be treated with directly, strongly, by management. This should be the one wake-up call the guy gets, and if a second performance occurs, boot him. Uncool and not-ok.

• loosie
    loosie

In my experience I have found that it matters what position you have in the company as to what the company will do with you.

I had a supervisor who would send emails to a female employee that said "you can back that up over here anytime" Which means bring your cute butt over here.

Although this wasn't directed at me it made me uncofortable working in a place where this was allowed. He also did similar things to 3 other female employees. All his manager did was talk to him about it. big deal

now at this same place I had a co worker (he held the same job as I did) say some rude things to me. and he was later fired.

This person I also took a class with in college. He walked up to me and said "is it cold in here or are you happy to see me?" I told him you are the reason women hate men.

I figured he wouldn't have been dumb enough to say something like that in the workplace. I was wrong.

We worked at a call center. So sometimes the rep takign the call gets really stressed. I offered another co worker a stress relief ball that I had. This guy came up to me and asked me if he could "squeeze my stress BALLSs", while staring at my chest.

I reported him.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Frankie, do you often go up to women you don't know and ask how often they're getting laid? Because that's what happened here.

GentlyFeral

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Genevie lost her job because of filing a sexual harassment complaint.

She was good friends with her manager at cingular. Whenever she was in back talking to the manager when she came out one of the guys was always saying things like "are you done sucking ###'s dick?" It was CONSTANT she had texted management about him several times (so she had WRITTEN proof of the complaints) this guy had at least five other complaints from three other girls. She finally got fed up and went directly to HR. They came in and fired both of the assistant managers the offender AND HER.

They openly admitted it was a retaliatory firing, doesn't matter, Florida is a right to work state. She talked to a lawyer (actually two lawyers) they said it was a crap shoot to sue and we were probably throwing money away... Money that we can't afford to throw away right now.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

There's no telling how many people he has done this to who haven't said something because they were too embarrassed.

You did the right thing.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

No big deal! If it was persistent then maybe! I've had some mean mean women on a never stop road to undermine in whatever way they can in ways tricky to put down as harassment - evil intent!!

And Ive had far worse by far talk from man to man that you just get over and get on with!

To moan about every incidence of this type is another example of PC, IMO! Agree it is distasteful but then so is costing someone their jo b for a flippant remark! Are we all back in the school playground or did we ever leave? Just my take on much of society . Adult kindergarten!

No disrespect but its not for you to draw the boundaries as to what is and what is not a big deal, one womans banter can just as easily be another womans sexual harassment and the line has to be drawn subjectivel if adequate protection is to be afforded. Also too it is irrelevant as to whether or not it is a one off act or part of a continuing act as the former when sufficiently serious can undermine dignity at work and this is just the sort of comment that does that. Flippant regard for someones dignity at work is serious and not only that, is a barrier to womens rights. It should be a disciplinary offence and if he worked for my firm his feet would not touch the floor. Just my thoughts. G

• loosie
    loosie

I agree a lot does depend on how well you know each other. I have one male co-worker who is a gardener. One day he brought in two cantalopes. he was holding them in his hands at chest level. this guy and I are friends. I emailed him saying "nice melons" he emailed me back saying " right back at ya"

this was not harrasment. now if he had asked me how often hubby and I ride each other. that would have been outta line.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Well, as another Mississippian, I know the word "ride." I used to have a horse.

I also know that it can mean to stay on one's case. That would be how the word is used in Mississippi. The example would be "Clyde, you git out chere and feed them pigs." "Awright, mama, ya don't have to ride me about it. I jist ain't done it yet."

But when a man looks at a picture of his co-worker and asks, is this your man, and is told yes, we are married, it does sort of remove all doubt as to the intent of "ride."

This man had absolutely no respect for you as a co-worker. He felt superior and in a position to speak to you in any manner he felt he could. You were right to report him.

I hope the boss will "ride him."

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Gently.

, do you often go up to women you don't know and ask how often they're getting laid? Because that's what happened here.

Not often, in fact I don't ever recall saying such a thing, but I think the guy wasn't hiting on her,, and the term "ride" as used by him in the context may have been referring to "getting on each other case" or haveing disagreements and argueing, look at the context, it could have been the guy was searching for something to say, you know small talk, and naturally we know what happens when two people start living together they are bound to have arguements and this may have been the intent of the words "riding each other a lot".

To all you others that feel the guy was way out of line, and feel he should get some type of reprimand, becuase you feel that this guy was "sexually harassing" this women,,, my god you don't even have a clue of what sexual harassment is. How is it sexual harassment if a person says something once in passing, that can be interpeted two differnet ways (sexual and non sexual)? I think what we have here is a rush to judgement, which could have been easily cleared up, if she reacted with clear headedness, instead her "jaw dropped", she was in shock, wouldn't it be the more "christian" thing to ask him what he meant by the word "riding", which might have been completely non-sexual, and if it was indead sexual,, she could have responded with a very simple "you are getting a little too personal" which would have ended the matter instead of making a federal case out of it.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Quan,

This man had absolutely no respect for you as a co-worker. He felt superior and in a position to speak to you in any manner he felt he could. You were right to report him.

Wow Sherlock (or wuss). you surmised all that from this little kerfuffle. Hey I hear they are auditioning for a replacement judge for the TV's Judge Judy, you should try out for the part, you might get it.

I hope the boss will "ride him."

Is that the sexual or nonsexual use of the term? It better not be the sexual, because Ren might report you to the mods,, it is her thead and you know how she feels about such talk in her presents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit