Why is ALASKA not in the 2007 service year report?

by skin 10 Replies latest jw friends

• skin
    skin

Well not in the New Zealand edition of the report its not.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Because Alaska is not a country, it is a state.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Hasn't Alaska been listed seperately in the past?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Yes, it has. In case you hadn't noticed, the society is often a little behind the times. THEY just recognized Alaska as part of the US this year, previously the considered it some sort of annexed territory they needed to list separately. I think they listed Hawaii separately for quite a while too.

Cog

• skin
    skin

Yes, Alaska has been in all service year reports up till this one.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Mustn't let the condemned know that the numbers are plummeting in Alaska so they had to add them in with the US figures to hide the facts.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The reason Alaska was always listed separately is that it has it's own branch facilities there.

My guess as to why it is now combined with the US?

1. They went backwards big-time in the numbers this year, so they had to cover that up?
    2. US Branch went backwards big-time in the numbers this year, so they had to bury that by adding in Alaska's numbers?

It would be interesting for someone to analyse that some. Jwfacts might have last years' numbers on his site, does anyone know?

Jeff

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS accounced that Alaska would no longer be a branch. Branches usually oversaw other countries or small areas. I could be that those areas are now independent or don't need "help." Thus Alaska is now listed under the US. What happened to Hawaii?

• sir82
    sir82

So, does the addition of "Alaska" account for the 3% jump in the US numbers?

What does the "average number of publishers" for the US look like if you back out the previous year's Alaska count?

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Alaska and Hawaii used to be serviced independently because they were away from the mainland for so long, but with the advent of many technological advances, branches in far out parts of the world are no longer needed... However, this is a sign of the WTS cutting costs because some countries in this world, such as the USA, Russia, Canada and Brazil (3 out of the 4 countries mentioned there would be serviced very well with an Alaska branch) would need two or more branches because those countries are just MASSIVE. To put it in perspective, Russia encompasses 11 time zones, the USA has 7 and Brazil has 3. Most countries either fit in one time zone, or straddle the border between two, but never fully encompass more than one. The Russian Republic of Komi is around the size of Germany, the State of Minnesota (Where I reside) is as large as the English mainland excluding the rest of the UK, Mato Grosso in Brazil is about the size of Spain. So losing this branch is a major blow to the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit