Austin TX

by AudeSapere 16 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Is anyone familiar with this city??

I'm interested in a new position within my company and if I get it I will be based out of Austin TX. I'd still get to keep my current residence but will be required to fly to Austin on a regular basis.

I'm excited about the job but not sure about the city.

Anything good/interesting there for a possible future frequent visitor to enjoy?

-Aude.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I hear tell there is a ton of fun things there. A very artsi city. Lots of partying.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Fun place, but too many damn dirty Longhorns

Go Sooners!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Dang! I meant to place this under 'Friends'. If a mod can move it, I'd sure be appreciative...

Sparky and sooner -

Thanks for the comments. Somehow I was imagining a dustbowl full of multi-generational texans.

Apparently I thought wrong.

I might really like it, then. The plans will be for me to be there about every other week for a couple of months and then 2-3 days straight once a month.

This could be fun.

Anyone else? Anything specific that is a 'must see (or do)' while there???

-Aude.

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

Visit 6th St. you will love if you like live music.

• crashfire451
    crashfire451

Austin's a great little city. I've lived in the area for a few years now. I worked on the west side of Austin until my current position wooed me away, now I live mid-way between Austin and San Antonio, in Canyon Lake. I still get up to Austin fairly regularly, I'm about 45 minutes away.

I'd recommend 6th street downtown, but not on the weekends unless you like fighting college crowds and paying high cover for watered down drinks. There's a great jazz/blues club called the Blue Elephant that I really enjoy. You might also consider one of the myriad B&B's in the area, if you feel like getting away from the city and seeing some of the hill country. The best mexican food can be found on the east side IMO, and you must check out the BBQ and steaks at the Salt Lick. PM me if you want more specific info.

• 4mylove
    4mylove

Great city, great music, great food, great everything. Worth a visit for convincing.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Austin is a great little eclectic city full of college kids. It's a great central location for traving to Dallas/FW, San Antonio and Houston.

The drawback for me was it's size. It is beautiful, though.

Bryan

• 4mylove
    4mylove

If you ever get a chance go to Antone's. He hosted the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Buddy Guy, and countless others. Great band to see there is Del Castillo.

• Xena
    Xena

The town motto is "Keep Austin Weird" so that ought to tell you something about it. It also calls itself "The Live Music Capitol of the World" so needless to say there are a lot of live music venues and festivals going on all the time. It's in the hill country and has a lake downtown and several others nearby, meaning lots of watersports and hiking to do. Extremely liberal fun town the only thing not to love about it are the toll roads they just put in and some of the yanks that immigrate there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit