Something That Used To Puzzle Me

by snowbird 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

JosephMalik

How do you know? The word often does not alter an anniversary observance in any way.

From scripture:

Acts 2: 42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to thebreaking of bread and to prayer. Acts 20:7:On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight. Corinthians 10:16: Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? I conclude that the frequency of the event was weekly, on the first day of the week, and was not merely a meal, but the "Lord's Supper" (or Memorial or Eucharist, different names are used for this) being celebrated anew as Jesus commanded.

Burn
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Hi, Chicken Little and welcome. I went back and read your first post that I missed.

I agree; the early Christians left much to be desired as far as the sanitized image presented by the WTS goes.

Burn, when you think outside the burn, er, I mean bun, things that are initially puzzling begin to fall into place.

I'm enjoying getting to know the Bible all over again.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Burn, when you think outside the burn, er, I mean bun, things that are initially puzzling begin to fall into place.

I hope that is a compliment?

Burn

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I conclude that the frequency of the event was weekly, on the first day of the week, and was not merely a meal, but the "Lord's Supper" (or Memorial or Eucharist, different names are used for this) being celebrated anew as Jesus commanded. Burn

I hope that is a compliment?

Burn

Yes, of course - directed toward all participants on this thread. I addressed my thoughts to you because the conclusion you reached as to the frequency of the Memorial is exactly the same as mine.

Sylvia

• snowbird
  • snowbird
  • snowbird
    snowbird

I know the NWT obscures the fact of weekly memorials in Acts 2:42, but I didn't know about Acts 20:7. Notice how explicitly this is spelled out in The Message Bible:

Acts 20:7 We met on Sunday to worship and celebrate the Master's Supper. Paul addressed the congregation. Our plan was to leave first thing in the morning, but Paul talked on, way past midnight.

Isn't that something? So, apparently whenever Christians came together for a common meal - usually on the first day of the week - it was an occasion for remembrance of the Lord's sacrifice. Now, breaking bread together takes on a new meaning for me.

Sylvia

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik
    Corinthians 10:16 : Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? I conclude that the frequency of the event was weekly, on the first day of the week, and was not merely a meal, but the "Lord's Supper" (or Memorial or Eucharist, different names are used for this) being celebrated anew as Jesus commanded.

Burntheships,

Easy! Unleavened bread was not used every week. It was the Festival of Unfermented bread also called Passover when it was made. And it was made in two batches during Passover week. One using old grain and another using new grain on the day of preparation for the last Sabbath of Passover. So unless you have something better than such get togethers that used bread, and do not specify unleavened bread you have no evidence. During Passover as in 1 Cor. this was understood as such requirements were well know by the reader. They knew Paul was discussing Passover and the special food requirements needed for it. The cup of blessing consumed during that meal shows this clearly.

Joseph

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik
    The early churches were all held in homes.

Burntheships,

This why we see: Ac 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
    1Ti 5:13 And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.

There is nothing in scripture that teaches we should go from door to door.

Joseph

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    There is nothing in scripture that teaches we should go from door to door.

Agreed. There is no restriction either, but the Watchtower makes it seem like it is a duty.

Burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit