Something That Used To Puzzle Me

by snowbird 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird

ooopps! my bad

XOCO

No problem, ma chere.

Speaking of gluttony, I had a sister to die in 2006. After the funeral, everyone went to her house for "refreshments."

Now here in the South, when we speak of "refreshments," we're talking ribs, fried chicken, collards, etc. Well, there was so much going in and out of my sister's house with platefuls of food by JW's that the porch fell in!

What a witness to the community, huh?

Sylvia

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

" UNTIL the MASTER RETURNS". So, according to the wtbts, the MASTER did in fact RETURN in , what year? 1914! So, why are they still encouraging more, younger, "anointed" to partake in this , what was it??? Discontinued Observance???That's the drift that I get.....

• XOCO
    XOCO

Now here in the South, when we speak of "refreshments," we're talking ribs, fried chicken, collards, etc. Well, there was so much going in and out of my sister's house with platefuls of food by JW's that the porch fell in!

Awww Snowbird, you are making my mouth water but i feel u girl so thats we do it so don't let me hijack this thread about food

XOCO

• snowbird
    snowbird
    " UNTIL the MASTER RETURNS". So, according to the wtbts, the MASTER did in fact RETURN in , what year? 1914! So, why are they still encouraging more, younger, "anointed" to partake in this , what was it??? Discontinued Observance???That's the drift that I get.....

Who knows why the WTS does what it does? I do know this: They've dug a d-e-e-e-e-p hole for themselves.

Sylvia

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

27 -28 Anyone who eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Master irreverently is like part of the crowd that jeered and spit on him at his death. Is that the kind of "remembrance" you want to be part of? Examine your motives, test your heart, come to this meal in holy awe.

29 -32

If you give no thought (or worse, don't care) about the broken body of the Master when you eat and drink, you're running the risk of serious consequences. That's why so many of you even now are listless and sick, and others have gone to an early grave. If we get this straight now, we won't have to be straightened out later on. Better to be confronted by the Master now than to face a fiery confrontation later.

Snowbird,

There were abuses as you show such as overeating and over drinking, making the participants unworthy, listless, sick, not walking straight and needing correction and more as it was pointed out. But why? Who was involved? What do we really know? We know that many Christian Jews were still keeping the Law. We see this throughout the NT texts. What would they be found doing at Passover? Eating a meal they brought with them just like it has been done for thousands of years. This made them unworthy as the Law no longer applied to them and they needed correction. If they wanted to eat they should eat at home. 1Co 11:34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come. Our Lord only required the unleavened bread and wine in any future observance. And there were Gentile Christians present with no history of Passover. What would they be doing? Drinking the wine to excess and this made them drunk and unworthy so they needed correction as well. Regarding such Gentiles and their contribution Paul said: 1 Cor 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s table, and of the table of devils. 22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he? Unbelievable problems with Gentiles at this meal as well. How often do you think such Jews and Gentile Christians would assemble the whole church to observe this Memorial of our Lord’s final Passover meal and subsequent death? Once per year as such Jews were doing and have done all their lives. It was an anniversary meal after all. A memorial of our Lords last Passover meal and subsequent sacrifice using only unleavened bread and wine. This bread was featured at such an annual observance. The Gentiles with them would do the same thing. How do we know? Because they met together and Paul said to them earlier in this same letter: 1 Cor 10:15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread. And this cup of blessing was a precise identification of an anniversary cup, the third Passover cup that our Lord used at this meal. It would have been better for them if they avoided this meal altogether. This would lessen their judgment.

Leolaia,

You said: Not only that, but it certainly isn't a once-a-year observance for Paul.

How do you know? The word often does not alter an anniversary observance in any way. Doing this all your life is often and we are to: Re 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life: Sometimes things get changed to make us feel good but is not taught scripturally and required of us for salvation. Is there a verse I missed somewhere?

Nomoreguilt,

You said: " UNTIL the MASTER RETURNS". So, according to the wtbts, the MASTER did in fact RETURN in , what year? 1914! So, why are they still encouraging more, younger, "anointed" to partake in this , what was it??? Discontinued Observance??? That's the drift that I get.....

Not only this but they twist what Paul was saying so that most of them do not partake and have died because of their disgusting doctrine. So it is far worse than the abuse such Jews and Gentiles were doing. There does not exist anyone in the WTS qualified to teach us anything about Salvation since the scriptures condemned anyone doing such things long ago.

Joseph

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    "If you're so hungry that you can't wait to be served, go home and get a sandwich. "

LOL! :)

I have done this many times when reading The Message. Eugene never fails to bring out the lighter side of the Bible as well as the serious stuff.

I recommend The Message who heartedly to all ex NWT readers who want something with a little life.

All the best,
    Stephen

• flipper
    flipper

SNOWBIRD- You mean to say - they didn't have a good Outback Steakhouse restaurant or somewhere to eat out after the memorial ? LOL! Gawd ! I wouldn't have lasted in the first century congregations ! Part of the fun I had after memorial was wondering where to go eat out at ! How dare those first century gluttonous people bring pigs into the memorial ! Hey, if I wanna eat pig- I cook up mean strips of bacon at home ! I like my cooking better- so does my wife ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you, Master Joseph, for that interesting synopsis of 1 Cor 10 and 11. I've got to read those two chapters again and again for the first time,

I have done this many times when reading The Message. Eugene never fails to bring out the lighter side of the Bible as well as the serious stuff.

I recommend The Message who heartedly to all ex NWT readers who want something with a little life.

All the best,
    Stephen

I love The Message Bible. I've also lol many times at some of the unique turns of phrase that Mr. Peterson employs.

SNOWBIRD- You mean to say - they didn't have a good Outback Steakhouse restaurant or somewhere to eat out after the memorial ?

That seemed to have been the incentive for attending, didn't it? Get all gussied up in our finery, and afterwards, descend on whichever restaurant was open at the time. How spiritual!

Sylvia

• chicken little
    chicken little

chicken little here........... I read and reread the corinthian letters when I was trying to find out what I really thought of disfellowshipping.

Annointed members of the congregation recieve counsel again and again for their unchristian conduct. I would ponder over the fact that these so called future rulers of the universe seemed so imperfect......yet we are supposed to be anything but. If a child of 14 makes a serious mistake and is not repentant, out he goes forever cut off unless he comes to his/her senses and returns to the congregation. Yet here we read of grown men and women that had love feasts that got out of hand, meals were gluttony and drinking were the norm. I find it hard to believe that it was just once a year as that would not constitute a pressing problem for Paul to write about.

How could the same standards apply for a person who has not recieved the holy spirit with all that that entails? I personally had a friend who had 2 sisters and a brother all of whom were disfellowshipped in their teens for what could be called rebellion. To this day they are not welcome in my friends home. When one sister became ill and called her mother while in hospital it was later retold that she was only trying to pull on the mothers heartstrings, there was nothing seriously wrong with her! I would hear these things and feel ill.

Isnt it enough to believe they will die at armaggedon, no they also have to be punished now and for the rest of this life. Yet the behaviour of the annointed in the letters to the congregation leaves so much to be desired that one wonders just what they really did believe. This is just within 30 years or so of Jesus death.

Well that is just my penny worth

Love and Hugs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The early churches were all held in homes.

Example Cor 16:19 NIV:

The churches in the province of Asia send you greetings. Aquila and Priscilla greet you warmly in the Lord, and so does the church that meets at their house.

It might also change the understanding of 2 John 1:10 NIV:

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit