how to pray

by megaflower 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

I like the practical approach used by Tibetan monks. Write out a bunch of prayers on little pieces of paper. Put them on a rotating drum and keep it spinning 24/7. The Rosary is good to help keep track of the number of prayers one says and eventually one can get to the point of just fingering the beads through a couple of cycles and do a pretty damn good job of praying. Genuflecting is good too. A lot of people only pray when they are playing the lotto or are about to miss a plane.

• eclipse
    eclipse

God balked at telling people what His real name was, (probably was unprounouncable in human tongues)

So god lets us all down with this:

God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

Good name choosing there.

Here's a great line (from memory) from the movie, ''The Count of Monte Cristo''

''Let's make a deal, shall we? You pray to god to stop the beating, and I will stop the minute He shows up''

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

Hi Mega, For me, a feeling of having a true father/child relationship is what I have experienced since leaving the WT, and one day I decided to no longer say dear Jehovah, but actually say Father instead. Then I realized oh, I guess that's fine because how many kids do you know who call their father by his first name, anyway? I just believe the relationship between us and God is that of a familial one, and I am now much more comfortable saying father rather than Jehovah. I pray to both the Father and the Son, so depending on whom I'm praying to, I will direct it as Father or Lord. Ashton

• watson
    watson
    Conradulations! You are officially pronounced: "A Grownup". You no longer need imaginary friends.

Yes.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    Just found this on Wikipedia-excellent!

Calling God "Jehovah"

Not to start another debate, because I know this is a really old topic, but I was reading my Bible this morning and it suddenly occurred to me... why would I want to call God Jehovah? That would be like calling my Dad by his first name, only worse. I'd feel hurt and disrespected by my children if they called me by my first name. I have a special relationship with them, different than my relationship with people who are not my children. Anybody can call me Eric, but only my children can call me Father, and I prefer it that way. Others may feel differently, of course. --Factcheck1776 (talk) 23:08, 21 December 2007 (UTC)
    Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament (Joel 2:32 commentary): "Whoever calls upon the name of Jehovah, i.e., the believing worshippers of the Lord, will be exempted from the judgment. “Calling upon the name of Jehovah” signifies not only the public worship of God, but inward worship also, in which the confession of the mouth is also an expression of the heart." Duffer (talk) 16:14, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
    Amen, brother, Jehovah is the only true God. Calling on some other god's name is useless. Still, I'm glad that Jesus came to reveal an even deeper and more worshipful relationship to God, where we get to call him Father. It's like this: Once I was an orphan. I knew there was a God, but I didn't know who he was. Then I found out his name was Jehovah, so I started loving and worshipping him by his true name. But then--miracle of miracles--he adopted me! Now I get to call him Father. People who aren't adopted into his family should keep calling him by his proper name, Jehovah, and it is proper and right for them to so. But his children get to call him something even better, and nobody can take that away from them. --Factcheck1776 (talk) 18:56, 24 December 2007 (UTC)

More good stuff on the same page no doubt :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Duffer1#Truth_in_Translation

All the best,
    Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit