Watched the film Sicko by Michael Moore......

by fifi40 21 Replies latest jw friends

• fifi40
    fifi40

Watched this film last night and I just wondered what others thoughts are on it........sorry if this topic has already been discussed.

Basically the film picks on the USA's health care system as compared to other countries including Canada, Britain, France and Cuba.

In Britain we take for granted the NHS which we pay for through National Insurance contributions, children up to 16 and the retired over 65 get free health care.............watching Sicko made me appreciative of the system we have in place which is similar to the other countries mentioned.

Thoughts anybody????

• bisous
    bisous

Watched it twice. Know many people in the USA that are in the same boat as those introduced in the film. One more reason for Americans to be disappointed in our country. One of the most inspiring parts of Sicko, IMO, was the interview of the British politician (and knight?) who spoke about the impetus for Nat'l Healthcare to be introduced in Britain and the tenets and basic rights of democracy. He was very eloquent.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I certainly appreciate our health care system a hell of a lot more after seeing that movie. It's just not cricket, how the health insurance companies rip their customers off...

• bisous
    bisous

Oh ... and one of my other favorite quotes/lines was when one of the the women interviewed in France made the excellent point (not an exact quote, I'm afraid) ... "In France, the government fears the people .... In America, the people fear the government". I wanted to applaud it was SO TRUE!! Comparing our 2 histories and where we are today, how those histories have or have not been sustained, it was just so SIMPLY stated and absolutely accurate.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

will not watch any Micheal Moore movies, nor will I watch Al Gores movies

• fifi40
    fifi40
    british politician

......yes he pointed out that the system was set up so we were all helping each other.......the rich helping those less fortunate in a fair system that meant post war Brits were pulling together.

• journey-on
    journey-on

For those of you that believe everything you see and hear from the left, here are some rebuttals to Moore's Sicko (just for a balanced view in case your interested in that)

http://kylesmithonline.com/?p=306

http://acuf.org/issues/issue91/070909med.asp

http://www.unsoughtinput.com/index.php/2007/07/02/movie-review-sicko/

• JK666
    JK666

The health care system in the United States is atrocious. It is based on the greed of insurance companies and pharmaceuticals. I need to get in on some of that action and make some money, so I can get proper healthcare benefits.

JK

• bisous
    bisous

fifi - can you place his name?

• bisous
    bisous

journey-on ... i had to chuckle at your phrasing. Whether or not your realize it, it was somewhat derogatory. You might has well have said something to the effect, here let ME enlighten you mindless lemmings who obviously just gobble up whatever you're told.... a bit presumptous there!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit