What did you learn as a JW that helps you in your work today

by Lady Lee 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

NOTE: If you are cautious about being outted then be very careful what you post.

The biggest thing I learned was sign language. After I left I had a few jobs interpreting.

Public speaking - didn't help me at all - that could be because speaking to someone else on the platform doesn't gives women an opportunity to address the audience. I took a intro course in public speaking that was far better than 22 years of the ministry school.

I'm thinking . . .what else did I learn that I could put down on a resume?

cleaning - not really -- I learned that at home and certainly not something I could say was a job

I learned to drive so I could take others out in service -- does that count?

Oh here's one - nursing assistant (back in the day before they needed training) one of the deaf sisters had cancer and chose to die at home. I helped care for here - against the wishes of my husband and PO. I got a few jobs as a nurse's aid in hospitals, nursing homes and in personal homes. ----- hmmmm not sure that really counts either

I learned a few skills that I thought might help me in the new system -- canning, sewing, knitting and crochet -- thought it might be helpful to wear clothes that weren't 1000 years old

This isn't going the way I thought. Guess I didn't learn very much that would help me in the real world

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Well, I find myself to be better worker when I am not JW. I know it is hard to believe but this is very true for me.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I learned about computers, networking, and network security as a JW, in spite of the JWs persistent efforts to discourage me from educating myself. The cult itself taught me nothing except to trust no one.

W

• megaflower
    megaflower

Nothing. The only thing I ever learned from the society was to second guess myself and that is not a good thing,

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Yeah, I'm a better worker outside of the borg too. Inside, I was constantly worried about how stumbling someone or missing an opportunity to witness or letting down the big guy in some other major fashion that it was harder to concentrate on the job at hand.

• DT
    DT

I learned to not be too critical of menial work. Even cleaning toilets is a privilege compared to knocking on doors and trying to recruit people into the cult.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

In the mid 1980's when the steel mills here in Western PA were shutting down I got interested in sales work but wasn't sure if I could do it. An older brother who I was real close to told me that I would be very successful at sales. He said........"after all, going door to door presenting literature is just like selling". And I was pretty good at sales until I quit when a job in industry came my way.

Then too.......I always applied the scripture that said "a worker is worthy of his wage" and "giving a days work for a days wage". My good work ethic helped me get jobs when the going got rough.

HappyDad

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I made my first sales presentation for the organization when I was 4 years old. If you can do door to door sales, selling religion at that age, sales as a career is a piece of cake.

Today, I'm an Architectural consultant for a major window manufacturer. I'm technically not sales...more like education, marketing and public relations. I conduct Continuing education seminars for architects, promote our products, write specifications and do my share of schmoozing.... Public speaking is a major part of what I do. While the ministry school wasn't great training....I joined at age 8...and got over any stage fright years ago.

Coffee

• Layla33
    Layla33

The only thing I learned that is valuable is speaking in front of large audiences.

• Bourne
    Bourne

Being a JW from birth, and thus, it being my PRIMARY introduction to intrapersonal relationships,.....(drumroll)......taught me what kind of people I SHOULD avoid.

Ha! Howz THAT for a 100th post............NEWBIE NO MORE, BABY!!!!!!!!

Bourne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit