As a Witness I Hated Personal Study- How About You ?

by flipper 51 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

BREAKING AWAY- I too threw out lots of the societies publications when I left the witnesses. Actually a whole garbage bib load of them. Ick !

JK- My gawd guy ! Trying to have a family Watchtower study while daddie dearest was being abusive ? No wonder you didn't like Watchtower studies ! The information was presented in a droning, monotonous way as well that ir bored me to tears too. can't tell you how many times I'd fall asleep at meetings . O.K. You can have your yellow pills now ! Peace.

FLYING HIGH NOW- JK's story was touching wasn't it ? I have a question for you which caused me a little confusion. I'm just curious. You mentioned your mom was abusive ; then in the next sentence stated that she was religious ? I'm confused. You stated she had a , " healthy view of God ". How can that be if she was abusive ? I was just curious, that's all- not trying to put you on the spot . It just didn't add up to me.

PROPHECOR- I guess Uzzah should have had his hands holding something else- other than the ark ? I'm lost here, maybe I'm missing the point.

R. CRUSOE- It sounds like you really wanted to get the real truth of the scriptures and couldn't go along with the BS that the society was handing out as factual. I was the same way- I could not see or agree with the Watchtower's take on things.

BDESERTER- Well, by not studying, just think how much crap you don't have to exorcize from your brain now ? Smart man I'd say !

NO MORE GUILT- I too got burned out on the chariots of Ezekiel with eyes on them ! I mean, come on, it was like a bad version of a science fiction movie already !

SNOWBIRD- Thanks for the nice words sis ! I did some research, enjoyed some of it, however the way the society presented the information was so dry and stale , that it would bore me to tears. I would fall asleep as well reading at night. I agree with you though- can't force spirituality on people .

WT WIZARD- I too feel it was a lot of needless droning information that just wasted my time !

MOSHE- I agree with you. Personal study was a waste of time, and I didn't like it as well .

MEGAFLOWER- Thanks for the kind words ! I too only read articles I found interesting on my terms. Most of them bored me. I do a lot more reading now that I'm out of the cult ! Yeah, those pictures of dragons were a trip , looked like someone on acid drawing them for sure ! That's funny !

CHICKPEA- You took great notes ? I did too- but just to keep from falling asleep at assemblies ! Don't feel bad about how we were controlled CHICKPEA- we all got duped by that organization.

HILLBILLY- It's a good thing you learned critical thinking ability at high school ! I have no doubt it really helped you see how mind controlled the witnesses were and it helped you exit the witnesses.

DARK UNCLE 29- I think a lot of us hated the forced study programs. It was definitely controlled.

ASHTON CA- Sounds like you were a good little witness girl who studied and took notes. But I bet you got burned out on it as well in time ! Peace out,Mr. Flipper

• Honesty
    Honesty

Personal Study is the reason I am now considered an apostate by the real apostates.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

flipper...

i used to love it...my favorite was Bible Chronology.....and there were holes I couldnt figure out...

XOXO:

now i say screw it. i have chemistry I women studies, college algerba and american history to worry about LOL than my "personal study"

yeah, I have intermediate algebra starting Monday evening and an English II class starting Tuesday evening.... (bad thing..the math class doesnt count toward the AAS or AAA degree...but required before I can take Statistics...what a joke.... $210 for what?..what a scam at the community college....)

Can you believe I took 18 credits one semester while still an elder? How did I find the time? Oh yeah, I know how: I started doing phantom studying for the meetings..... I was able to wing it on my talks for the entire 5 years I was an elder after MTS.... maybe I was running on spiritual fumes ::::gag::::: ..... and mostly..no one was the wiser.....

Snakes ()

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

I enjoying learning, so yes I lovec it. I am a student of the bible, soooo I study it. My relationship with God, supercedes the WT.

• WT=watchtrouble
    WT=watchtrouble

Personal Study um ah oh I'm sorry as a ex JW I wasn't educated and only know how to use a highlighter LOL, tis the only thing I was taught LOL

• flipper
    flipper

HONESTY- I'm glad you did the "right " kind of personal study and found things out correctly about the real truth.

SNAKES- We all ran on spiritual fumes so don't feel bad. I hope your college studies go well for you and help you along friend as they are more important than any " witness " personal study we used to do.

SAVE MY SOUL- Glad you like studying about God - not the Watchtower.

WT TROUBLE- Most of us only knew how to use the highlighters good ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• juni
    juni

along with all my fellow geeks here.... I loved to study! AND using those fun, colorful markers too!

• flipper
    flipper

JUNI- I hear ya ! I mean I liked studying too- just liked and enjoyed drawing moustaches and beards on the guys and female parts and dresses and such on the women . Kept me from getting bored

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Thankfully my parents weren't sticklers for personal study. We very rarely had a family study either. My mom would occasionally look at my mag/books to see if they were underlined, but didn't really check to see if I had the right answers. I too had different coloured highlighters or pens (remember the pen with the four inks - red, black, green and blue?), a couple of things underlined, a big A or B in the margins and voila - passed the inspection!

When I was going through the Revelation book for the second time I tried to really study it (because I couldn't make head nor tails of it) and did extra research etc just to try and make the study more interesting. Hardly anybody answered at that study ( I don't think anybody else got it either!), and a few extra comments always helped to make things a little less boring.

BB

• flipper
    flipper

BUMBLE BEE- Man, you were sure lucky having parents that didn't make you personal study- or have a family study ! Lucky girl ! My dad , ( the stoic elder ) had family studies preparing for the theocratic ministry school ! You want to talk about BORING ? Then he would ask me every week- have you read your latest Awake ? or your latest Watchtower ? Then I'd just tune him out- go put my headphones on, and listen to my Led Zeppelin records ! Much more soothing , and not as boring ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit