JW IQ's. Below average? (Includes SM anecdote.)

by Open mind 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

What do you think? Are dub bulbs just a little dimmer than the general population?

Here's a little highlight from this week's local Service Meeting that prompts my question.

It's the annual, 20 minute, robotic hand-pumping session conducted by the Secretary trying to get everyone all hyped/guilted up for this Summer's District Convention.

Anyway, towards the end of the Q&A, there's a paragraph that talks about offering a ride to the elderly/infirm ones in your congo. Now here's a rough quote from the paragraph:

'Those who offer themselves in this way MAY experience UNEXPECTED blessings.'

(Bolding & Caps added by moi.)

So the Secretary pulls an auxiliary question out of his posterior.

Brain Dead Secretary: "So, what can those who show this sort of kindness EXPECT?"

Brain Dead Sister: "They can EXPECT..............................(wait for it, you know it's coming)...............

v

v

v

v

v

UNEXPECTED BLESSINGS!"

This was not lost on either myself or my wife.

So are JWs in general any less intelligent than the general, Jerry Springer-watching public?

OM

• Robert7
    Robert7

When you have the type of audience where you have to every year explain how to reserve a hotel room, and "Don't barbecue grill in your hotel room" then yes, they are below average.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Well, I think they've been habituated out of critical reasoning!

I haven't noticed especially stupid people in the WTS (EDIT: I mean, at a higher rate than the general population), but I've seen a lot of them turn off their brains - they may know a lot, and be experts in their respective areas, but they can't bring there knowledge or insight into the world of their religion.

I remember how I was able to answer WT study questions - quite literally turn off my mind and just look through the paragraph for the "trigger word" that signalled the answer. Otherwise, I got hung up on the fallacies of how the scriptures were applied, or how the conclusions were not supported by the argument!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

at least you can have fun in those Q&A sessions playing "Spot The Brain Cell"

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    So are JWs in general any less intelligent than the general, Jerry Springer-watching public?

Most JWs could never hope to understand Jerry Springer.

W

• NanaR
    NanaR

I was a Witness for over 40 years and I have an IQ of 132.

Not below average.

Of course I'm not a Witness any more...

Ruth

edited to add: I also don't think threads like this one are helpful to JW lurkers who may be here. Why would they listen to someone who is trying to insult their intelligence?

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I don't know if it's higher than other groups, have you seen some of the mutants that are fundamental christians in the bible belt, you'd have to play spot the extra chromoasome with them.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The don't cook food in your room comment always cracked me up. I know it was always stated that the guidelines were always brought up because it happans often enough to require a mention. But how many JW's live in caves? Do they not know this lol?

• exwitless
    exwitless

What you described was not a question of IQ. It was an example of the meaningless double-talk that is the epitome of the WTS. They say things, then repeat them back in a factual yet convoluted way. The dubs have been conditioned to accept this type of "reasoning". It is the same technique used in the WT study. The paragraph is read, then a question is read, then people answer the question using the exact same wording from the paragraph. Some eqate this technique to brainwashing.

• Open mind
    Open mind

NanaR:

I also don't think threads like this one are helpful to JW lurkers who may be here. Why would they listen to someone who is trying to insult their intelligence?

Thanks for the reminder NanaR, but I don't really think most dubs would find this offensive. I didn't say that dubs are dumb. I just posed the question. It's mainly a question of whether or not a JW can laugh at themselves and the mind-numbing stuff they have to sit through.

For the record, I have zero data, so my thoroughly subjective hunch is that JW IQs are on par with the rest of the population. They just turn it off selectively when it comes to daring to question their beliefs like Void Eater suggested.

OM
    (of the, I LOVE LURKERS, class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit