If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away.

by Robert7 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Robert7
    Robert7

This is an actual news article... Crazy... HAYDEN, Idaho — A man who believed he bore the "mark of the beast" used a circular saw to cut off one hand, then he cooked it in the microwave and called 911, authorities said. The man, in his mid-20s, was calm when Kootenai County sheriff's deputies arrived Saturday in this northern Idaho town. He was in protective custody in the mental health unit of Kootenai Medical Center. "It had been somewhat cooked by the time the deputy arrived," sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said. "He put a tourniquet on his arm before, so he didn't bleed to death. That kind of mental illness is just sad." It was not immediately clear whether the man has a history of mental illness. Hospital spokeswoman Lisa Johnson would not say whether an attempt was made to reattach the hand, citing patient confidentiality. The Book of Revelation in the New Testament contains a passage in which an angel is quoted as saying: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink the wine of God's fury." The book of Matthew also contains the passage: "And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell." Wolfinger said he didn't know which hand was amputated.

• carla
    carla

There is also a mental illness where people WANT to be an amputee and they do the same things. Cut off hands and legs or try. Discover (I think) had a show about these people. One guy asked surgeons to remove his leg but they refused, he finally found a way to do it himself. Strange to say the least.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

And what sin did his hand committ?

• poppers
    poppers

How ironic, someone followed a dictate from the bible and is considered mentally ill. Makes one pause to think, doesn't it.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I wonder what he would have done if the mark was on his forehead???

• Undecided
    Undecided

I knew a lot of young JWs who should have cut off their right hand when I was a kid, or maybe something else.

Ken P.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    someone followed a dictate from the bible and is considered mentally ill

No Kidding. I am constantly amazed how 'loving' and 'comforting' the message of the Bible is

• parakeet
    parakeet

"And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

Nothing like a literal interpretation of scripture, eh?

Poor guy, but it could have been worse. To the best of my knowledge, it's not usually the hand that causes one to sin.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Nothing like a literal interpretation of scripture, eh?

Coming from a guy who had himself KILLED for god, why does everyone seem to think this is figurative?

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Crazy literalist. So sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit