Ever encounter gypsies?

by Gregor 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I read somewhere that the term Gypsie came from the Egyptians. They travelled so far and wide that this term began associated with them.

I think that being a Gypsie would be a lot like being a JW. It's you against the world, stick together, practice "theocratic warfare". No one understands you. You are "different". At least they dress better.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Wow, this whole discussion just seems unreal. I've never heard of anyone referred to as such in real life. Is the "Gypsy" label something that they wear themselves, or is it simply a label put on anyone from an eastern European culture that happens to be a crook? In that case, if "gypsie" means "crook", then yeah, all "gypsies" are crooks! Otherwise, we're back to the "us vs. them" mentality many of us loathe so much about the JWs.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Yes, I had many encounters with 'gypsies'. Much more than the average. I had two close friends in Ireland who were Travellers and this is what I found.

They have an abiding distrust of outsiders, many of who shun them, and many of whom are shunned. Some of this behavior is deserved on both parties, but as Leo has pointed out this is typical of elements that make up a minority group.I treated these people honestly and did not sneer at them, or fear them. They quickly got used to my manner and I was invited to caravans to eat with a number of families, an unheard of occurrence. They became fiercely loyal to me and I reciprocated, and this over many, many years. I still keep in touch with my friends despite the distance. We have been friends over twenty years.

On one occasion one of the younger travellers stole something from me. Two days later his father appeared with the item in his hand and returned it. The youth was made to apologize in front of his family.

I always think it more honorable to understand than not to. I like these people, there is not a petty one among them and they have hearts bigger than one might hope for. Rough diamonds? Sure they are, but they have their own standards that are historically inherited.

HS

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

dogisgod, M.J., and hillary_step...

Thanks for some honest, heartfelt and intelligent comments.

I appreciate it very much...

sacrebleu (half Rom (or gypsy)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit