Advice Please

by mouthy 29 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

My Modom is going ( all turns red) so Sue my daughter & grand-son said I need a new whole set ... I have been to 4 computor shops ....Two said NOT to get Vista they are no good & three said XPpro is no good ,The vista I can get for $799.00 the XP I can get for $698

Can you give me advice on Vista & Pro please ...

• dinah
    dinah

Grace, have you tried unplugging your modem for a few minutes (from the outlet, not the puter)? That's what my provider told me to do in case that ever happened. How long has this been happening?

• mouthy
    mouthy

About three weeks now. Yes my grand son undone the modum. Also the speakers are making a buzzing noise If I unplug the speakers -it dont bother me. I plug em back in if I need to hear something
    It all goes red. then after awhile it turns back to white ,but I will be in the middle of posting it goes red again

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Good advice from Dinah, Grace.

In the geek world this is known euphemistically as a "Japanese reset."

The ESSENTIAL step is to UNPLUG the device from the wall. Just turning the device off will NOT reset it. You don't have to wait forever- just count to 15 of so before plugging it back in.

This is one of the first steps many technicians take nowadays before they get out the flowcharts and logic diagrams, and it has saved my butt a few times, thereby boosting my ego immeasurably.

That being said, there comes a time to cut your losses and get a new unit. I would go with XP Pro rather than Vista. Vista got a lot of negative press. Perhaps someone can tell us if Vista has come out with Service Pack 1 yet... If they have, I would reconsider. Vista is supposed to be the MS operating system of the immediate future, after all.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Yeah Grace, before you buy anything, turn everything off and unplug the modem. Some modems have a battery, in which case needs to be removed too. It shouldn't be too hard to remove the battery if the modem has one, it's probably just opening a latch on the side or bottom of it and pulling the battery pack out.

Let the modem sit there with no power whatsoever for about 5 minutes. Then, insert the battery (if neccesary), plug the power back into the modem, wait about 30 seconds and then turn your computer back on...

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

It seems more like a hardware issue than a software issue. Hold off on buying any software for now.

If your speakers are making a buzzing sound, it might be a problem with some of your cables, check that none of them are peeled. It can also mean that you have something with a magnet close to the computer area. Magnetism can mess with everything, form the speakers, to the modem, it can also screw up the data on the hard disc.

Make sure your power outlets are properly grounded, or if you have a surge supressor or a multi plug, check that it's working properly. Try moving the speakers away form the monitor and also the phone, if you have it on the same desk.

Hope you can solve this without spending too much money...

• brinjen
    brinjen

I would definitely try unplugging the modem first before I even considered forking out any cash...

As far as the buzzing through the speakers, interference through your sound card if usually the main culprit. It's sitting inside your computer near some fairly powerful components. If it's not bothering you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

There's mixed reactions so far as far as Vista goes (as there is everytime Microsoft release a new version of Windows). I use Vista, it certainly has it's little annoying quirks, but at the end of the day, do you really need to upgrade your operating system? Sounds a little drastic to me for something that is a modem problem...

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

grace...

Depending on how old your computer is, it probably wont be able to handle Vista.... Vista is a resource hog (meaning it has a huge appetite for memory)... Microsoft's website gives basic requirements, but in my opinion, they are entirely inadequate (40GB hard drive....give me a break....) If your computer can handle it..stick with Windows XP.... wait until Microsoft works some more of the bugs out...

Others have given you good advice about the modem and speaker issue...a modem is definitely cheaper to replace than the operating system.... once you switch operating systems (from XP to Vista)...then that will set up a domino effect as you will then have problems with your other older hardware not being compatible (ie... doesnt play nicely with) Vista...

NN:

Perhaps someone can tell us if Vista has come out with Service Pack 1 yet..

Microsoft's Vista SP1 is scheduled for release sometime 1st quarter of 2008....beta versions were released 4th quarter of last year....and an open beta version was released last month...get this...489 patches (for you who dont know not computer literate...think about wearing a suit with 489 patches sewn on it....and think about how bad that looks....now think about getting Vista before they actually fix 489 holes....)

For the record, I hate Microsoft....if the Apple folks hadnt been so damn protective of their OS back in the 80s, we would be running their much more stable OS and not Microsoft's quirky OS... but alas...I run a XP.....

Snakes ()

BTW...did anyone else see that Microsoft is now getting installed in automobiles!!!!....I am NOT kidding! Can you imagine driving down the road and getting the blue screen of death at 65mph? (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/feb06/02-28FiatMSGenShowPR.mspx) and (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsautomotive/default.mspx) SCARY!!!!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Your such good kids .Thanks for answering so soon. I did unplug & it is white again ( dont know if it will go red again when I turn it on again ) As for weather the things are peeled (((NATE))DAH!!!! Its a miracle I can even get on this ruddy thing let alone know what is peeled & "aint" lol Dont forget it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Thank you all Brinjen I have a friend who has just bought a Vista & when he heard me say the salesman said they are no good he was a bit muffed? But one of the Salesmen said just what you said about the VISTA.... Thanks kiddo's

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thanks Snakes I think I am going to forget the whole thing. I will see if it goes red again if it does I'll quit getting the computor. I will read more books. LOL

Maybe the HOLY SPIRIT is telling me it is time to give it up ROTFL (((( Wink After all I really shouldnt last much longer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit