Hillary Takes New Hampshire...........

by AK - Jeff 20 Replies latest social current

• Forscher
    Forscher

Didn't surprise me.

It fits the script.

As for McCain, no surprise there either. The main stream media was poised to take a third place showing for McCain in Iowa and use it to boost him into a nomination. I can't link to the site where that was admitted, its server is down. Maybe later.

Forscher

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I watched it as well and I gotta say that to me - when Edwards came out to give his speech to the people after coming in 3rd - we both sat there and said - 'he looks like a president'. The man has the stamina, the charm, the determination, the brains and the vision to lead the country - he oozed strength to me. I still can't get the Obama thing - he simply doesn't inspire me at all and I'm not sure if its just a lack of warmth that I see, a tendancy to speak in academic mannerisms or what - he just reminds me of going to watch someone give a lecture. Methodical and boring. I think Hillary is very smart and very driven and as a 2nd choice, I would have to go with her.

Obama right now is too wishy/washy on some things - first he was all for a universal health care and then he switched to an insurance co-op. I don't see him as consistent on war policy and maybe the final gash was when he didn't change his music last during his speech. He was playing 'signed, sealed and delivered'....and I found that pretty presumptious.

Edwards aligns himself with Roosevelt - Obama is playing the JFK ticket. Hillary is really just Hillary. sammieswife.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Hillary is the only Democrat with the experience to run a country. Obama has not a clue unless Oprah would tell him what to do. Heaven help us......I have from the beginning and will continue to support Hillary.

Leslie

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I haven't been out of the JW's long enough to be involved in any presidential elections before this one. I'm all registered to vote and following the primaries as closely as I can. I feel very behind because I'm trying to understand how it all works on the facade and how it REALLY works, and then make my decisions accordingly.

I am confused about Hillary Clinton because so many people seem to really hate her. I guess it's mostly because I am extremely naive in all this politic stuff. Anyway, thanks for the thread. I'm glad to see this stuff discussed here.

~Rachel

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I don't think you really want her as a president any more than you want me to inspect or maintain airplanes as my husband does at work and the reserves. I have been close to his career for nearly 20 years, and trust me, I have helped him take tests and prepare for school and work projects. But you don't want me inspecting the airplane you are going to fly in for its structural integrity before it flies, or its maintenance after it has been in the air. An airplane has maybe 200 people in it and that would be a disaster. This country has 300 MILLION people in it. I do NOT want Hilary as president.Especially not because we are ready for a woman pres. Maybe we are, but it isn't her.

Shelly

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Find the democratic debates and watch them. You will find that Hillary is the one that is the most qualified to be President. It has nothing whatsoever to do with her husband, she is bright, articulate, and has a plan for the economy.

Leslie

• juni
    juni
    See? You leave a damned cult - and you might start thinking all over the board. My brain is moving faster than I can keep up

hey Jeff....

"Constantly challenging what you believe is true is how we grow and make things better." My daughter's wise saying.

I'm waiting for Hillary to pin Obama down to be specific. I want to hear some details... Personally I have to agree w/others here who feel he has very limited experience, and he makes a lot of promises w/o being specific.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I heard tonight that betters who placed $100 on Hilary winning ended up netting $10,000 with the odds going into the election.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    I don't think you really want her as a president any more than you want me to inspect or maintain airplanes as my husband does at work and the reserves. I have been close to his career for nearly 20 years, and trust me, I have helped him take tests and prepare for school and work projects. But you don't want me inspecting the airplane you are going to fly in for its structural integrity before it flies, or its maintenance after it has been in the air. An airplane has maybe 200 people in it and that would be a disaster. This country has 300 MILLION people in it. I do NOT want Hilary as president.Especially not because we are ready for a woman pres. Maybe we are, but it isn't her.

I don't get the comparison at all between yourself and Hillary... Maybe you need to educate yourself on HER ACCOMPLISHMENTS that show she is as qualified as any candidate out there!
    "Early Life and Education

Hillary Rodham was born in Chicago, Illinois , and was raised in a Methodist family in Park Ridge, Illinois . Her father, Hugh Ellsworth Rodham, a conservative, was an executive in the textile industry, and her mother, Dorothy Emma Howell Rodham, was a homemaker. She has two brothers, Hugh and Tony. As a child, Hillary was interested in sports, her church, and her school, a public school in Park Ridge . Throughout her youth, Rodham was fond of sports, including tennis, ice skating , ballet, swimming, volleyball, and softball. She earned many awards as a Brownie and Girl Scout [9]. Prior to graduating from Maine South High School , she attended Maine East High School, where she served as class president, a member of the student council, a member of the debating team, and as a member of the National Honor Society. During her final year of high school (Maine South High School), she received the school's first social science award. Hillary Rodham entered the world of politics in 1964 (at the age of 16) by supporting the presidential bid of Republican Senator Barry Goldwater. [10][11]. Her parents encouraged her to pursue the career of her choice [12][13]. After completing high school in 1965, Rodham enrolled at Wellesley College in Massachusetts where she became active in politics, serving, for a time, as President of the Wellesley College Chapter of the College Republicans. During her junior year at Wellesley in 1968, Rodham was affected by the death of the civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., whom she had met in person in 1962 [14]. After attending the Wellesley in Washington program at the urging of Professor Alan Schechter, her political views became more liberal and she joined the Democratic Party. Rodham graduated in 1969 with departmental honors in Political Science. She became the first student in the history of Wellesley College to deliver a commencement address when she spoke at her own graduation [15]. Her speech received a standing ovation and she was featured in an article published by Life magazine [16]. In 1969, Rodham entered Yale Law School where she served on the Board of Editors of Yale Review of Law and Social Action and worked with underprivileged children at the Yale-New Haven Hospital. During the summer of 1970, she was awarded a grant to work at the Children's Defense Fund in Cambridge, Massachusetts . During the summer of 1971, she traveled to Washington to work on Senator Walter Mondale's subcommittee on migrant workers, researching migrant problems in housing, sanitation, health and education. For the summer of 1972, Rodham worked in the western states for the Democratic presidential candidate George McGovern's campaign. During her second year in law school, she volunteered at the Yale Child Study Center, learning about new research on early childhood brain development. She also took on cases of child abuse at New Haven Hospital and worked at the city Legal Services, providing free legal service to the poor. She received a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from Yale in 1973, having written her widely recognized thesis on the rights of children [17], and began a year of post-graduate study on children and medicine at the Yale Child Study Center. [edit]

Marriage, family, lawyer and First Lady of Arkansas

During her post-graduate study, Rodham served as staff attorney for the Children's Defense Fund. She joined the presidential impeachment inquiry staff advising the House Committee on the Judiciary during the Watergate Scandal. After President Richard M. Nixon resigned in August of 1974, Rodham became a faculty member (one of only two women in the faculty) at the University of Arkansas Law School, located in Fayetteville , where her Yale Law School classmate and boyfriend Bill Clinton was teaching as well. In 1975 Rodham and Clinton were married and moved to Little Rock, Arkansas . In 1976, Hillary Rodham joined the Rose Law Firm. In 1979, she became the first woman to be made a full partner of Rose Law Firm [18]. President Jimmy Carter appointed Rodham to the board of the Legal Services Corporation in 1978. In 1978, with the election of her husband as governor of Arkansas, Rodham became Arkansas's First Lady, her title for a total of 12 years. On February 27, 1980, Rodham gave birth to Chelsea, their only child. In 1980, Bill Clinton was defeated in his re-election bid for governor and the couple left the statehouse. In February 1982, Bill Clinton announced his bid to regain the office, which would be successful; at the same time, Rodham began using the name Hillary Rodham Clinton . [Living History p. 93] As first lady, Clinton chaired the Arkansas Educational Standards Committee, where she successfully fought (against some opposition) for improved testing standards of new teachers [19]. She also chaired the Rural Health Advisory Committee and introduced a pioneering program called Arkansas ' Home Instruction Program for Preschool Youth, which trains parents to work with their children in preschool preparedness and literacy. Clinton was named Arkansas Woman of the Year in 1983 and Arkansas Mother of the Year in 1984[20]. Throughout her time as first lady, Clinton continued to practice law with the Rose Law Firm. In 1988 and 1991 National Law Journal named Clinton one of the 100 most influential lawyers in America [21]. Clinton co-founded the Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families and served on the boards of the Arkansas Children's Hospital Legal Services and the Children's Defense Fund[22]. From 1985 to 1992, Clinton served on the Board of Directors for both TCBY ("The Country's Best Yogurt") and Wal-Mart Stores Inc.[23] [edit]

First Lady of the United States

After Bill Clinton was elected to the White House in 1992, Hillary Rodham Clinton became the First Lady of the United States in 1993. She was the first First Lady to hold a post-graduate degree and the first to have her own successful professional career. [24] She is regarded as the most openly empowered presidential wife in American history other than Eleanor Roosevelt. [25] In 1993 the President appointed his wife to head the Task Force on National Health Care Reform. The recommendation of this task force, commonly called the Clinton health care plan and nicknamed "Hillarycare" by its opponents, failed to gain enough support to come to a floor vote in either house of Congress, although both had Democratic majorities, and was abandoned in September, 1994. In her Living History memoirs, Clinton acknowledged that her political inexperience contributed to the defeat, but also said that many other factors were responsible as well. A decade later, "Hillarycare" would still be used as a label, sometimes pejoratively, for plans perceived as implementing universal health care. [26][27] At the time, Republicans used its unpopularity as a campaign issue in the 1994 midterm elections which saw a net Republican gain of 53 seats in the House election and 7 in the Senate election. At the time, some critics called it inappropriate for a First Lady to play a central role in matters of public policy. Supporters, by contrast, argued that Clinton was no different than other White House advisors and that furthermore, voters were well aware that she would play an active role in her husband's Presidency. [28] Indeed, during the campaign Bill Clinton had stated that voting for him would get "two for the price of one." [29] This remark led to the (inaccurate) notion that the two were acting as "co-Presidents" [30], sometimes nicknamed "Billary" [31]. As first lady, Clinton won many admirers for her staunch support for women's rights around the world and her commitment to children's issues [32]. She initiated the Children's Health Insurance Program in 1997, a federal effort that provided state support for those children whose parents were unable to provide them with health coverage. She also successfully sought to increase the research funding for illnesses such as prostate cancer and childhood asthma at the National Institutes of Health. The First Lady worked to solve the mystery behind the illnesses that were affecting veterans of the Gulf War. She initiated and shepherded the Adoption and Safe Families Act of 1997, which she regarded as her greatest accomplishment as First Lady [33]. Clinton hosted numerous White House conferences that related to children's health, including early childhood development and school violence. She fought for nationwide immunization against childhood illnesses and supported an annual drive to encourage older women to seek a mammogram to prevent breast cancer, coverage of the cost being provided by Medicare. With Attorney General Janet Reno, Clinton helped to create the Department of Justice's Violence Against Women office. She was one of the few international figures at the time who spoke out against the treatment of Afghani women by Islamist fundamentalist Taliban that had seized control of Afghanistan. One of the programs she helped create was Vital Voices, a U.S.-sponsored initiative to promote the participation of international women in their nation's political process. Clinton performed many less political activities in her role as First Lady. With a lifelong interest in regional American history, she initiated the Save America's Treasures program, a national effort that matched federal funds to private donations to rescue from deterioration and neglect, or restore to completion many iconic historic items and sites, including the flag that inspired the Star Spangled Banner, and the National First Ladies Historic Site in Canton, Ohio . Clinton initiated the Millennium Project with monthly lectures that considered both America's past and forecasted its future. One of these lectures became the first live simultaneous webcast from the White House . Clinton also created the first Sculpture Garden, which displayed large contemporary American works of art loaned from museums in the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden on a rotating basis. In the White House, Clinton placed the donated handicrafts (pottery, glassware, etc.) of contemporary American artisans on rotating display in the state rooms. She oversaw the restoration of the Blue Room on the state floor, and the redecoration of the Treaty Room into the President's study on the second floor. In a unique venue of large white tents on the South Lawn that could accommodate several thousand guests, Clinton hosted many large events such as a St. Patrick's Day reception, a state dinner for visiting Chinese dignitaries, and a contemporary music concert that raised funds for music education in the public schools. For all the foods served in the White House, Clinton hired a chef whose expertise was in American regional cooking. She hosted a massive New Year's Eve party on the turning of the twentieth century into the twenty-first century, as well as a state dinner honoring the November 2000 bicentennial of the White House , which gathered more former Presidents and First Ladies together in the mansion than had ever been present at any other time in its history." Then we all know she ran and won the race for Senator of NY and has served on these committees:

"Committees

[edit]
    Committee assignments in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Hillary_Clinton

For anyone to say she is not capable of being President is unbelievable! If you don't like her or her politics that's o.k....

SWALKER (tired of all the whining about Hillary!)

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I just took a quiz and it looks like Hillary is the candidate I connect with the closest. I do like John Edwards plans to clean up the corruption in Washington and fighting for the working class. Right now, I'm just interested in finding out more of what each candidate is planning to do when they get in office.

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit