Fundamentalists of a different flock

by Rex B13 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

This is a short article from BREAKPOINT and I think that the writer explains the Christian view on recent events. I hope it reaches those who need it.
    This shows why Christians are different though being capable of some rather nasty acts. to my usual detractors, save your bluster as I will not respond to anyone who hijacks this thread with personal attacks. I will, however, pray for you!
    Rex

The signs this fall are everywhere:

"God bless America."
    "Pray for the victims and their families."
    "Pray for our leaders."
    "God bless our troops."
    These are natural admonitions. Easy to say, easy to do. We flock to church services to pray. We ask God to comfort, protect, give wisdom. Our first and continuing cry over the victims in the towers and Pentagon, the victims in the airplanes, the firefighters and police officers, is "Oh, God!"

What is difficult—extremely difficult—is this admonition Jesus Christ gave to his followers: "You have heard that they were told, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But what I tell you is this: Love your enemies and pray for your persecutors . . ." (Matthew 5:43-44).

Wow, Jesus. How can you say that? Are you crazy? Did you see what they did to us? Didn’t you see the people on fire jumping out the windows of the World Trade Center? Don’t you know about the firefighters who died trying to save people?

And that’s not all. He goes on to say, ". . . only so can you be children of your heavenly Father" (Matthew 5:45).

You mean if I don’t love those terrorists I am not a child of God? That can’t be in the Bible. It can’t be.

It is. It is what makes Christianity different. It is what makes followers of Christ different than people like Osama bin Laden and Muhammad Atta and the Taliban. As a matter of fact, it is the only thing that distinguishes us. "If you love only those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. Again, if you do good only to those who do good to you, what credit is there in that? Even sinners do as much," Jesus said (Luke 6:32-33).

Loving our enemies has the power to transform us to be like God. To form us into a whole different sort of human being than our enemies. This does not mean we excuse what they did. It does not mean we feel affection or fondness for them. It does not mean trying to think they are really not that bad, because they really are that bad.

C. S. Lewis struggled with this and came to think of it this way: "In my most clear-sighted moments not only do I not think myself a nice man, but I know that I am a very nasty one." In looking at his enemies, Lewis writes, he remembered being taught to "love the sinner, hate the sin," and wondered how he could hate the sin without hating the man.

"But years later it occurred to me that there was one man to whom I had been doing this all my life—namely myself. However much I might dislike my own cowardice or conceit or greed, I went on loving myself," Lewis writes. ". . . Just because I loved myself, I was sorry to find I was the sort of man who did those things."

I may not be capable of killing 5,000 people with a jumbo jet, but I am capable of some really cruddy crappy things. Things I am ashamed to speak of. Things I do not like to admit. Things I hate.

And, as Lewis says, Jesus does not require us to reduce the hatred we feel for such cruel and inhuman acts. We are to hate them, "in the same way in which we hate things in ourselves: being sorry that the man should have done such things, and hoping, if it is any way possible, that somehow, sometime, somewhere, he can be cured and made human again."

Last night I found this prayer.

O Lord, remember not only the men and women of good will, but also those of ill will. But do not remember all the suffering they have inflicted on us; remember the fruits we have bought, thanks to this suffering—our comradeship, our loyalty, our humility, our courage, our generosity, the greatness of heart which has grown out of all this, and when they come to judgement let all the fruits which we have borne be their forgiveness.
    (Prayer written by an unknown prisoner in Ravensbruck concentration camp and left by the body of a dead child.)
    Look at some good things, the fruits, that have come from the horrible events of September 11.

We have discovered our true heroes are the firefighters and rescue workers who live next door, not drug-snorting, bed-hopping celebrities. We have discovered we can pray with our Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, and Muslim neighbors. We have discovered our reason for living is not to get more stuff than our neighbors, but to love and get to know our neighbors. We have discovered we are capable of giving our hard-earned cash to someone who needs it more than we do. And on and on.

Christians have the opportunity to be transformed. God did not cause this horror: it is the work of evil incarnate. And God’s plan, always at work beneath the surface of human events, is redemption, always to transform evil into good. That’s what he did on the cross. That is the message of the cross.

Let’s not blow it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luanne Austin is religion editor for the Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Her weekly column, "Rural Pen," appears there each Friday.

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze

Believe me, I would love to love Bin Laden. Given the chance I would love him with a broom stick wrapped in barbed wire jail-house style, till his intsetines ruptured all over the floor of his cave. Now that's love of humanity.

Ciao,
    Anton

• Seeker
    Seeker

It is a piece with some nice thoughts. I would only add to it one idea:

It is what makes Christianity different. It is what makes followers of Christ different than people like Osama bin Laden and Muhammad Atta and the Taliban.

It is also what makes Islam different. Note how bin Laden's call for support in the Islamic world is mostly falling on deaf ears? How Muslim country after Muslim country is standing with the U.S. even after bin Laden's latest plea? How Islamic leaders are saying bin Laden does not speak for Islam?

Single out bin Laden and the Taliban, absolutely. These are extremists, with extremist views of Islam. They do NOT represent the majority of Islam.

• _alf_
    _alf_

That Jesus person of yours sounds like hes a decent human. Where can I meet him? Theres a lot to be said for forgiving those who murder on a grand scale.

• radar
    radar

Alf

What you have to realise is: That Christians have to forgive only while on Earth!
    You see when Jesus got to heaven, he took up the sword and rides a white horse.
    "Vengence is mine, so saith the Lord" So you see, in reality, He wants to do all this killing all by himself, plus a few other angelic Christlike ones at his side.
    So we are to love our enemies, and let God do all the Hateing and revenge.

Now I know this sounds a little like "Do as I say but not as I do" but as Rex will tell you, this is one of the mysteries of God.

I wonder why Sapphira and Annanias were not forgiven though?
    another mystery.

Radar

All that we see or seem/ Is but a dream within a dream.

-Edgar Allen Poe

• Satanus
    Satanus

rex

A while ago, i noticed that the trend of those on this board seemed to be that christians were burning to bomb bin ladin, while pagans/atheists/agnostics were a bit cooler to the idea.

SS

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Hello Friends!!

I have always thought that "loving your enemy" was not to be taken literally, as really having a heartfelt love, but to be civil and peaceable with those whom you have had difficulties with. The Bible says to be wrathful, yet do not sin. We have God given emotions of anger, which is normal. But if we take it a step further and actually act out our anger in a violent manner, we are sinning. Vengeance is reserved for God.

Just my thoughts!

• Norm
    Norm

Hi Rex,

How very nice, what admirable thoughts. Pity it breakes completely with christian history. That said, how is these commendable thoughts to be implemented? How can the Christian nation USA carry this out? How can the Afghanies be made to benefit from it?

What are you and the Christians who "feel" this way going to do to make Bush adopt this idea. I mean God himself is of course always blesssing America, right?

Please explain, Rex.

Norm

• sf
    sf

"What are you and the Christians who "feel" this way going to do to make Bush adopt this idea. I mean God himself is of course always blesssing America, right?"

Indeed.

sKally, stocking up on popKorn klass (hahahaha, it's gonna be a longggg "show")

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

How can the Afghani's gain, by us getting rid of the Taliban and (hopefully) intalling a democratically elected government.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit