by digderidoo 29 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hey, Dig.

Congratulations.

Syl

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Statistically, AA works for only a small fragment who show up. I became very ill with severe facial pain. The suicide rate is greater than 95%. My doctor suggested that I go and be around other suffering people. The meetings were upbeat. It is the opposite of the Witnesses in many respect. The leaders must be servants. AA goes to great lengths to not have a cult like organization telling people what to do. In fact, there is a cross talk rule. No advice or comments on another's person's shares is allowed. It enabled me to develop my own voice.

I was exposed to severe abuse with my Witness father. Despite therapy, I found I was repeating certain patterns that were not functional. They helped me live as a child but were maladaptive for an adult. There is something very glorious in the sharing of grief and hopes for a better future. There is focus on actually changing behavior. All this is free.

I used to think AA was a bunch of bar drunks. People who still wanted some high even if they were sober. Reality knocked down that image. I see many similarities between the nascent Christian community in the gospel, Pauline letters and Acts.

Side note: We discussed the authentic Gospel record at Stations of the Cross last week, not the Cecil B. DeMille mash in our heads. Jesus went out of his ways to make things simplistic without much organization or dogma. He taught in parables. The Twelve Apostles were not theologians and far from the best and brightest. If Jesus wanted dogmatic statements, all Jesus had to do was to start dictating. He is almost coy during his trial. Food for thought.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Paul You will never know why you looked back at the page
    But I am going to tell you. You helped me in the six minits.

I just got a call from my grandsons friend ,My Grandson is in Jail
    AGAIN!!! He is 27 years old. his MUM died when he was 14.
    He was in jail in Feb I think it was...I went to see him,& he said
    he had to go to AA in there....But here he is again....Back in Jail.
    drinking again... You have made it,,, it seems ...Pleased to hear
    it came be overcome...Keep up the good work...I pray my grandson
    will do the same one day.... His name is TERRY!!!!

• still thinking
    still thinking

Well done Paul, Addiction is the hardest thing on earth to combat and we need plenty of help and support to do it.

My partner has been through the process of detox and rehab a number of times over the years. But I am so very glad to say he is now 1 1/2 years sober. He had a lot of help, from God, from rehab and from AA.

I also had to have a lot of help to recover from the receiving end of alcohol as I grew up in an alcoholic home too. I Got help from God, rehab family support groups and Alanon (sister to AA).

My father got his sobriety at 70 years old after numerous attempts. He also had help from God, rehab and AA.

Recovery is not something anyone can do on their own but it is something we alone have to decide to do. That is the first step and it sounds like you are on your way.

God bless, my thoughts are with you.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Stealth: i agree how other religions open their doors to these kind of programs, whereas the JW's tend to close the door on it. That said there is am Awake article that leaves the decision up to yourself, but it is frowned upon by the rank and file.

Jeff T: thank you. It was initially because of you, JK and Maddie that made me realise that i wasn't the only ex jw attending AA. I've since met a couple of ex jw'ers in AA. Although most of us seem to have issues with step3 initially, i now realise that i'm not alone in this, that a number of people for whole host of reasons had similar issues

Snowbird: Thank you, i've always noticed your posts even when i come here just to browse.

Bandontherun: I agree there is a great support and an abibility to find your own voice.

Mouthy/Grace: Thank you. Sorry to hear about your Grandson. I wouldn't necessarily say that i have made it, one thing i learned in AA is to take things one day at a time, the only end goal is today, not tomorrow. I had a relapse about a year ago, basically after 2 years without a drink i thought i'd be okay just to have one or two drinks on a night out...how wrong was i, as within a week i was drinking at home on my own again. It was what i needed though to give me a kick up the backside and make me realise that no matter how long igo, never to get complacent. It is a disease that kids us at times we've made it. I feel for you, unfortunately for you though he has to WANT it, recovery cant be forced upon anyone, i wish it could. I'd love to give sobriety out as if it were a pill to some who are close to me, but it just doesn't work that way as you well know.

Still thinking: that sounds great, thanks for your post. I wish your partner and father well in their recovery.

Thanks for your kind words.

Paul

• mouthy
    mouthy

Dearest Paul.... I do hope you continue.Thanks for your input

• hirotaka
    hirotaka

Hi Paul Digi

I'm a fellow exjw and I just celebrated my fist year of sobriety in AA. I take my cake tomorrow here in Vancouver, Canada.

You post was an inspiration to me that it can be done long term. It took me many many years to finally admit to myself that booze was controlling my life........but it finally sunk in after I went through a lot of problems.....some that I'm still trying to clear up now.

Actually I went to a feww AA meeting four years ago on the advice of two doctors.........but ......accckkkkkk......they reminded me too much of MEETINGS!!! hahaha

Anyways, my sincere congrats and continuing success to you.

H

• mouthy
    mouthy

hirotaka Another encouragement Thanks hirotaka.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Congratulations Hirotaka. I'm looking forward picking up my one year coin again in a couple of weeks. I can relate to the similarity of the meetings, it did scare me away at the beginning too, in fact if you look through the history of my threads you can see a couple i started regarding the whole God issue and the likeness to the meetings.

It's really good to know there are others who have that same sort of experience as when i first came along, i thought i was on my own.

Paul

• LV101
    LV101

even though they say the success rate is low in these groups there's obviously magic. i've attended a couple of co-dependent, 12-step, meetings w/friend (of course, knew i didn't deed it for myself - DUH) and was so impressed. many people join this group after AA for more introspection and help dealing with life after conquering alcohol. i wish i'd make time for this group in my life as there are many addictions other than alcohol -- abusive families, RELIGION, control-freaks, etc. some churches offer these groups even for non-members (maybe it's a good recruiting tool) but there are endorsed meetings in corporate settings available. i think these 12-step groups are great and the price is right. many people are without insurance and many therapists and med/professionals highly recommend them, as indicated in many posts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit