Went to AA meeting last night

by digderidoo 29 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

About twelve months ago i came to the realisation that i am an alcoholic.

For the past year i have been having breaks from the drink of about a week at a time but as i cannot deal with stress well i always seem to turn to alcohol as an escape.

I have realised the last few weeks that i need help to stop drinking but do not want that stigma of attending aa meetings or getting counselling for my addiction.

Yesterday i decided to phone the aa and so attended a meeting last night where i found to my surprise many people who were going through the same process as me but had decided not to carry on turning to drink.

I dont know if many in the us understand the culture of drinking and pubs in Britain? But it is an integral part of UK society, Friday and Saturday nights are all about going out and having a good time drinking as much as we can. So for an alcoholic it can be a nightmare.

I just wanted to share this with and would like to continue to post in the future about it.

Yours Paul

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I think you are really brave, and I hope it works out for you, im sure it will.

I went to Iceland on holiday last summer, and oddly the only thing I could get on my mobile phone radio in English was a weekend long conference of the AA - it was absolutely riveting, I couldnt stop listening to it. It was basically AA members giving motivational talks, but it wasnt cheesy or just war stories or showing off, it was really excellent advice and lots of information about following the 12 step programme.

I would definately reccomend the AA to anyone, including myself, if and when my drinking gets out of hand.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

You are not alone.

I have a dear friend who married a person from England (my friend is from the US), and eventually moved over there.

When my friend lived over here, my friend rarely, if ever, drank.

Over there, with the Pub culture, plus drinking at Witness gatherings (something that is not done in our part of the country), my friend got accustomed to alcolhol.

Then, when marriage problems hit, hitting the bottle became the only escape that seemed available.

My friend is getting help now, and is doing better. I am glad that you are seeking help as well.

Godspeed in your recovery.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Too bad that there is stigma attached to going to aa. Their system has worked for a lot of people, and not just for booze, for drugs and other issues, as well. Congratulations on taking the plunge. Admitting things to/about ourselves can be very tough. The ego is very stubborn.

S

• JK666
    JK666

Paul,

You are not the only person on this board that has admitted to problems with alcohol. I too consider myself alcoholic.

Even on the US side of the pond, in many areas drinking heavily is prevalent among JW's. I always fit in with the drinkers in the area, then at a certain point I lost control of my drinking. I ended up getting disfellowshipped twice for drunkenness. The crazy thing was, that I went to the elders voluntarily with my problem trying to get help. They had no concept of the disease, and thought of me as an unrepentant sinner when I would relapse. After they kicked me out of the "club," I sought help and fellowship through AA. I ended up getting my act together, and sought reinstatement. The elders were real concerned about AA being a cult, and said that I should rely on the elders for support. I gradually cut back on AA, went to the Hall and got reinstated. They were as helpful to me as the first time, with one of the elders repeatedly calling me "pathetic." Well, in short order I ended up drinking again (how can you not, going to the KH?)

I ended up getting the boot again. I have never tried to go back since. AA does help me to deal with life on life's terms, and I have a lot of good friends in recovery that help me. Some members of AA try to cram God down your throat, but it isn't necessary. Just take what you need and leave the rest.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk in further detail.

John

• Maddie
    Maddie

Hi Paul - I remember the first time I went to an AA meeting and I was full of fear and preconceived ideas about the people there and what it would be like. Like you I was amazed to find that everyone was very "normal" and kind to me. When I listened to people shaing their drinking history and how their lives had changed since going to AA and doing the recovery programme it gave me so much hope. I found that no one judged me or thought I was a weak/bad person but told me I had an illness, and is accepted by the Medical Proffession as such. I kept going back and have been going now for several years. I haven't had a drink one day at a time for several years either so it does work.

You have taken a very important step and I wish you a wonderful journey.

Maddie

• eddie c
    eddie c

Hi Paul,

My sons mother-in-law,who is also a close friend has just gone back home to Ireland after a three week visit. Some twelve years ago when she was in the depths of despair due to her drinking,she went to AA. Since that day she has never had a drink and now enjoys a full and active life. Her husband is also an alcoholic and i attened a few meeting with him. He was also given much help and encouragement. I also went to an Al-anon meeting with my daughter-in-law. I believe these meetings can be of great help. Its important to know why we drink,why we rely on drink,then perhaps we can deal with the deepseated reasons why we do so.

You are right about the drink culture in The UK, and in Ireland its much the same,and is a major problem.

Give it a go mate,you have nothing to lose and much to gain.

Eddie

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks for your messages. The replies have made me realise that there are others here who have similar issues.

I havent had a drink since Thursday now and will continue with the meetings. My main fear is that i have gone days or a week or two before but always turn back to alcohol if i get stressed out.

Its so easy to go down the pub after a hard day. I have had some of the best nights of my life going out for a drink then ending in a club.

I realise that i need to alter my social life and gear it away from this scene. Hopefully i can because i have lost and missed out on such a lot because of my addiction.

Thank you for your support.

Paul

• JeffT
    JeffT

I had my last drink on August 29, 2005. I've been going to AA on a regular basis ever since. I could not be where I am right now without AA. One of the big things I've found is that the "stigma" of going to AA exists largely in the minds of those that don't want to go. Since I quit drinking I've heard nothing but encouragment from the people I talk to about it - of course I'm not dealing with JW elders as I've been out since 1988.

Advice (if you want it): get a sponsor and work your steps. Keep going to meeting and keep your head up. It really does work and you've already done the only step you have to get right, you've admited you have a problem. Good luck to you and keep in touch. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

• oompa
    oompa

I have never heard of AA and don't know what a drinking problem is.....I live near water in Egypt.......................oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit