Things that are really bad.

by joelbear69 13 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

As JW's we were taught that almost everything was bad for some reason or another.
    Xmas, birthdays, Lucky Charms, watching R rated movies, not going to meetings,
    going to college, liking sports, etc. etc. etc.

but what is really bad. my list would be

abuse
    lying
    cheating
    physical or psychological harm to other beings (human and non human)
    desiring that bad things happen to other people.

what is odd and truly sad is that most JW punishment is doled out for
    sex, smoking or deciding you don't believe that same way they do anymore.

congregations are full of gossipping, lying, manipulating and abusive people
    (especially at the elder and CO level). yet the Watchtower overlooks this
    with "we are all imperfect" rhetoric.

• changeling
    changeling

Ditto that.

changeling

• Gopher
    Gopher

The JW leadership closely mirrors the style of the Pharisees. They loved long detailed lists of conduct, but practiced no mercy or kindness.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Joel,

You're exactly right.

Abuse of power and bullying were not at all uncommon among the elders and COs, yet the organization was and is fixated on sex and making sure no member thinks too much about things (or at least doesn't talk about it if he does!!). The actual expression of a Christ-like personality through kindness, humility, compassion and forgiveness is a rare thing among many JWs.

Some of the stupid things we were taught as "bad" are just ridiculous.

S4

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

It was this type of reasoning that helped me deal with the guilt shortly following my exodus from the JWs. I figured that I was a "good" person because I didn't lie, cheat, steal, murder, etc. I smoked a little pot and fornicated a bit, but who was that hurting? I finally came to the conclusion that if an angry god wanted to smoke me for hitting the Devil's Lettuce and making love to a woman that I cared deeply for, then so be it. Years later, I lost all belief in God whatsoever.

But you're right, destroying someone's life by DFing or DAing is one of the greatest evils ever, as is covering up and excusing abuse. Condemning someone for giving someone a Christmas present or eating a bowl of Lucky Charms is absolutely absurd considering the evil, hurtful deeds done daily by this diabolical organization.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Going above things written... sound like any religious organization we know?

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Gopher, you hit da nail on da head!!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Great summation Joel.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel
    As JW's we were taught that almost everything was bad for some reason or another.
    Xmas, birthdays, Lucky Charms, watching R rated movies, not going to meetings,
    going to college, liking sports, etc. etc. etc.

but what is really bad. my list would be

abuse
    lying
    cheating
    physical or psychological harm to other beings (human and non human)
    desiring that bad things happen to other people.

what is odd and truly sad is that most JW punishment is doled out for
    sex, smoking or deciding you don't believe that same way they do anymore.

congregations are full of gossipping, lying, manipulating and abusive people
    (especially at the elder and CO level). yet the Watchtower overlooks this
    with "we are all imperfect" rhetoric.

Well said, joelbear.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

OMG! I am learning so much here, seriously. I have never in my life been able to figure out so much that all of you have done so here. keep it up, i am sure there are more of me out here.

NMG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit