Trusting The Authorities

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think I 100% trust anybody.....Do you?

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I don't think I 100% trust anybody.....Do you?

There are certain family members and friends with whom I have a relationship, such that I trust their intentions to me are and will continue to be good. By 100%, do you mean "perfect"? Well, nobody's perfect, anybody can and will let you down. And I've learned (through hard experience) who in life I definitely will not trust. I used to be the more trusting kind, and still have some of that in me, but life has taught me to keep my eyes open.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

ok police and firefighters.............. they are both put in a position of power....... one is supposed to protect you from lawbreakers and the other is supposed to stop your house from burning........ or stop the house next to yours from burning there by keeping your house from catching on fire......... i think they do the best they can........ but in any situation your gonna have the good eggs and the bad apples..... the good ones give it their all and you can tell......... the others........... they do things so that by the book it appears they did their job............ some cops take money and goods from drug busts......... but can you say that some firefighters dont pick up a thing or two from a partially burnt apartment? you cant.......... and they have........ so what.

can you trust all of them 100% hell no but ususally you can tell those who you can give some trust to. as far as that goes................... when you get on a plane.......... whos going through your baggage? are they the good eggs or the bad apples...........?

same with every profession.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

My trusting those in authority is always on a case by case basis. I wouldn't trust a judge who handles tax matters to give me a fair hearing of my reasons for not paying my taxes(like a huge military spending that I don't agree with), nor before a trial judge on drug charges, if he goes by the book of laws that clearly tresspasses civil liberties,, and the list gets bigger and bigger the more power the state has over your civil liberties, and the forced requirement of obediance to laws that take away personal liberties,,be it through imprisonment, large fines, or other strong arm tactics.

Politician? Well that too is another story, thier tract record has been pretty bad, any trusting of these rascals 99% of the time leads to disapointments, so I would trust them only as far as I could throw them, maybe someone like Hugo Chavez, Venezuela's President I might trust, someone that has a tract record like him might get more trust but it would be with caution and alway on a day to day basis with the realization that power has a tendancy to corrupt.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Minimus,

The Constitution of the U.S. was based on the belief that those in authority couldn't be trusted. And Its authors tried their best to place checks on their power in it. All we've done through the centuries is proved their belief true. It Was one of those authors, Benjamin Franklin, who replied when asked the question "what kind of government have you given us?"

A republic....IF YOU CAN KEEP IT!

Forscher

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

hmmm ... on 'trusting' (as in relying) on people in general .. rather 100% or not (it's very hard for me to think in absolutes)

But I do trust people to be (behave) who they have shown themselves to be (behave). I dont know if that makes sense but ... people show who they are (their patterns of behaviors/beliefs that motivate their actions) rather quickly and pretty consistantly. As long as I am NOT gaging it by the superficial person they are 'trying to be' nor the person 'they may think they are' but am able to see the core of them clearly ... then it is pretty easy to predict behaviors unless they are in the middle of a huge life/belief altering shift.

That info pretty much comes from my intuition/non-judgmental observation/gut (most easily recognized words for it).

Of course I am not referring to strangers but just with people that I am around consistantly.

OK ... so it is $.04. tehehee

Smiles

• snowbird
    snowbird

I trust them about as much as they trust me.

Sylvia

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't think the authorities are all that great. The lawmakers are even worse, since they frequently make laws specifically to hurt mankind and hold back technology. Sometimes this is because of big companies bribing them. Other times it is because they themselves envy people that get ahead in business and wish to destroy it all.

However, none are as bad as the Watchtower Society. They have no rules within those enforcing the rules for the flock. They can shun you, or alternatively they can force you to remain in the fold and prevent you from disobeying ever again. They can wait 10 years or more when you have a problem or question, and then start hounding and threatening you at any time. In some cases they keep pestering known apostates to get them back (as if that was going to work).

I think the secular authorites, as corrupt as they are, are superior to the Watchtower ones. But I think they need to enact one prime law, that bans initiaory use of force, coercion, or fraud. Any law that clashes with that prime law needs to be stricken immediately. That prime law needs to be strictly and uniformly enforced, especially for those in power. Only then will we have a society that can be trusted. Hint: The Watchtower Society does not have that prime law.

• minimus
    minimus

I don't trust the Watchtower Authorities either.

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

I live In Peru...I can't believe Frankiespeakin says he would trust Hugo Chavez. The man is as corrupt as they get. he has complete control over media in his country and for as much as he criticizes Bush and his administartion he has no problem selling his oil to them...hmmmmmm....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit