Putting Away the Christmas Lights

by WTWizard 10 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Remember when you put up the Christmas lights? Chances are fair that some of you had a tangled mess to deal with. Tinsel garland also has a nasty habit of getting tangled, and can even get ruined while attempting to untangle them. But you do not want to have to replace them every year, especially if you like to start putting them up early.

How to prevent this? I suggest using cardboard sheets, such as you find on pasteboard boxes. Any type of board will do, though I do not recommend wood boards with rough edges for tinsel garland. Anything that has any kind of string can be wound up on this. Start on the far end, and wind the light set on the board. You may wish to cross the plug or the light that is on the far end so it will stay. Once these are wound up, you put them in the storage box where they will stay until next time. You might also be able to organize them according to size or color. This is also a good time to inspect them for damaged wires that require throwing out that set. Make a note so you will remember to replace the bad sets, or replace them as you see them. Incandescent sets can be upgraded to LEDs as they go bad. Bulbs that are blown should be replaced, especially incandescents.

Tinsel garland can also be wound (however, rough edges can snag the inner string). I recommend one or two lengths per board length, depending on the length and thickness of the garland and the length of the board. This is a good time to sort them according to color, so you will see what you need more of next year and not waste money on types you already have enough of.

Those ornaments can also be put away. Inspect any for breakage--if you find any lost or busted, make a note of it right now or replace it now. Do you regret that you didn't have more of a certain type? Now is the time to correct that, either by buying more of that type or making a note to get some more. If any are ratty looking and have seen better days, you might throw it out, reuse it, or put it in the center of the tree instead of the outer area next year. Either way, now is the time to fix or note these problems. Proper and organized storage will prevent many a busted bulb in storage, and you will be able to find them readily next year.

Finally, the Christmas tree. Natural trees can be chipped or recycled. Taking off all the loose tinsel helps; it also makes the stuff last that much longer. Artificial trees are disassembled. Putting all the branches in order according to where they are supposed to go will go a long way toward making it esay to find them next year. If any are damaged and cannot be fixed, you will have to improvise next year. Too many bad branches means the tree will have to be replaced and soon. The good news is that, unless the tree has seen abuse from the dog and the branches have been banged on, they can last for many years without damage.

Now, you should have a list of the things that need to be replaced or upgraded. Some items can be fulfilled now. Light sets that have gone bad should be replaced with LED sets of the same size. Ornaments can be ordered online, or some stores still have them on clearance and you should take advantage of it if that's the case. At the very least, you will have a list of items you will need to buy next year and not waste time and money buying things that you do not need and still not have what you do need. Best of all, it eliminates nasty surprises, tangled lights and garland, and busted ornaments next year.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Thanks WTW. I also hit the sales at the decorating stores for 50% off Xmas stuff. And I got a new artificial 9 ft pre lit tree for $150! It sure is sad to see all the pretty stuff come down and get put in the attic.

momz

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

WTW - I would love to see a pic of your tree!

BB

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I didn't decorate this year, other than hanging up a couple of ornaments. But right after Christmas, at Borders, I noticed the decorations - little trees about a foot high decorated with bells. I liked them quite a bit and asked if they were for sale. The manager sold me three of them for $3 each - score! Now I'm all set for next year. I just need to cover them so they don't get dusty. I will enjoy putting them out next year.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

WT Wizard, looks like you got it down to a science!

And it was so sad to take it all down!

Well, at least only 3 more months of winter!

The Good Girl

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Sounds like it's time to have a Christmas in June, say about the 25'th. Leap year-make it the 24'th. We can now celebrate the immaculate conception twice.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

I can't believe how organized I am these days.My wife and I were able to take down all the lights on the house today. Temp here in Mi. was what? 45, 50? Got it all done in 1 hour, thank you. 13 strings along the roof, flying deer, snowman family, lights around the patio, damn we're good! I am such a bad apostate, shame on me.

NMG

• Chalam
    Chalam

Ah Christmas is cool-happy birthday Jesus!

Don't worry about problems with putting your decorations away-just leave them up all year ;)

• blondie
    blondie

Tree is artificial and put away. I leave up my snowflakes and snowmen until the end of February or when the snow leaves for good. We are drinking the last eggnog from the store. I don't put up lights outside, attracts those pesky elders, and we are both afraid of heights. We just put up a snowman and light him up.

We go around and look at the lights that get media attention in the newspaper and enjoy their hardwork. (many jws secretly do this too)

Love, Blondie

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hi everyone - I have had a most awesome break, feeling fresh and vibrant in this wonderful new year and I still have my tree and lights up - yay!! I'm celebrating all January.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit