Watching my 4 year old JW nephew today.....

by whyamihere 18 Replies latest jw friends

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius
    4 years old and he is worried about satan coming for him??!!!! at 4??! Disgraceful! jw's shouldn't be allowed to have kids. The mental abuse is torture.

well its true the wt discourages their people from having children.............. but thats just so they can spend more time slaveing away in the ministry and give all their money that woulda been spent raising said child.......... by donateing it

• Honesty
    Honesty
    4 years old and he is worried about satan coming for him??!!!! at 4??! Disgraceful! jw's shouldn't be allowed to have kids. The mental abuse is torture. carla

Welcome to the world of the Jehovah's Witnesses where children learn fear at an early age.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My kids had nightmares for a long time after we left. They still have lingering fears..I taught them a little TOO well! I was such a good little JW...

Snoozy...who has regrets to this day. Poor kids...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

whyamihere:

Watching my 4 year old JW nephew today.....

No you weren't. You were watching your 4 year old nephew whose parents are JWs. A four-year-old child can no more be a Jehovah's Witness or a Catholic than he can be a Marxist or a Republican.

My nephews and niece (of JW parentage) are better behaved but still receiving a heavy dose of Watchtower brainwashing. I was told by my nephew when he was three that if I didn't serve Jehovah, I wouldn't be in the paradise. That stings, even though I don't believe it and he doesn't understand it.

Like you, all I can do is be there for them, and hope that their parents and the Watchtower cult don't screw them up too much.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Thanks funkyderek, some good conscious raising there.

I was the same. My parents were JWs, I wasn't. I was just forced to copy them and believe what they did because they abused my open forming mind.

I know if I knew a kid in that religion personally, I'd show them it was all false and not to worry. I'd have loved to have met an adult like that when I was young, but people often respect religious beliefs, even if it means innocent children are made to have nightmares.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere
    No you weren't. You were watching your 4 year old nephew whose parents are JWs. A four-year-old child can no more be a Jehovah's Witness or a Catholic than he can be a Marxist or a Republican.

Excuse me for speaking inaccurately.

game on.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Brooke, I meant no criticism, it was as serotonin_wrath commented, a consciousness-raising exercise. We see the absurdity in labelling a young child as, say, an anarcho-capitalist or a pseudoantidisestablishmentarianist but generally don't bat an eyelid when someone labels a child as a Sikh or a Mormon. My point is that we should reject all such labelling.

I know we disagree on much, but I think we're in agreement here and I hope my blunt delivery has caused no offense.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Brookie said,

I am thankful that he'll always have me. If he ever leaves the cult, or gets kicked out for not living up to God's standards, he'll have me - anytime.

I think it is very important that you tell him this and remind him of it from time to time as the years go by.

Long long ago, when my Mom became a Dub, she made sure that I had nothing to do with my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. It was all her and the "new world society."

Many many years later, I contacted my remaining autns, uncles and cousins (grandparents had died), and guess what? There was no "emotional context" between us. Imagine that. We were like neighbors, not family; cordial and polite but unconcerned.

You can spare your nephew this fate. In eight to ten years he will need you, because that is when he will begin to realize that whatever dreams he has for himself will not be permitted to come true - unless his parents go apostate by then.

• Mary
    Mary
    Anyway, she tells me her "new" husband doesn't like the fact my nephew (hence the word MY) is playing tea party with my daughter. Confused, I ask why? "We don't want him to turn gay."

Oh good lord........sounds like her new hubby is a first-class jackass (is he an elder yet?)......First, according to the Youth book, masturbation makes you gay, now an innocent tea party with a cousin can 'turn you gay'......Only in Dub-dumb world can they come up with this crap.

If your sister calls you later about the 'pagan' comment, just ask her if she knows the origins of the wedding ring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit