How do people continue to buy into the Watchtower???

by integ 34 Replies latest jw friends

• integ
    integ

Folks,

Help me with this. With all the information out there, available for all to see; exposing the lies,hypocrisy, and outright ridiculousness (is that a word?..if not it should be) of this whole witness religion, how in the world are people STILL buying into this?

I just do not get it. Is it because I don't have Jehovah's spirit anymore? No, that can't be it, ever since I have distanced myself mentally from this mess, I have been closer to God than I ever have been. So, what the heck is it?

There are some really intelligent persons, with very respectable jobs; persons who appear to be very smart about all kinds of subject matter. Some that do a lot of research etc. on bible history, world history etc., and there they are; every week at the meetings, going out in service, even giving what appear to be heartfelt comments on how great the "Faithful Slave" is and truly seem "into it". What is the deal? It is very frustrating. There is ALL THIS INFO available that clearly refute the WTS, and expose them for the lying, manipulative, jackasses they are, and STILL they feel that God actually puts His stamp of approval on them as His one and only choice. I am overwhelmingly flabbergasted at this.

By this time, with all this info out there, I would have assumed that the whole thing would be crumbling by now; but noooooooooo, it keeps going, and going, and going..........

I just don't get it. People should be exiting this farce en masse.

When is this all going to end? Or at least start the downslide?

I'm waiting..............

• Mincan
    Mincan

Some people need it.

Some people are only ready to leave when they are ready to leave.

Some people want it.

Some people do not have access to information.

It's really not that hard to believe. Not yet...

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

If it was easy you would see everyone here getting their family members or friends out of it, therefore no need to fade or still attend the meetings. But that is not the case.

• justhuman
    justhuman

Good question man..this what I ask my self many times. amd I just can't find any answer. We are living in the world of information. There is internet, online librarys, plus we have very good publications of ex-cult members like WT, LDS, that give a complete image of how do this cults work.

Just a small search on the internet of JW's or Mormons you will find an amazing information for them. And most of all it is negative and critical by ex-members of these cults. I just can't understand how come people in the western world still fell into the trap of cults like JW's.

What do they are missing from their lifes? Is it persons that need attention, or have psycologicall problems. I will never understand it

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

OK, some of their teachings are pretty nutty, but that could be said of ALL religions. A better question could be, why do people continue to buy into religion?

Cog

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

LAZINESS. People do not want to think for themselves, and this gives them the perfect excuse to get out of thinking. Hell, they are too lazy even to make their own decisions, and so they give someone in Brooklyn the authority to do it for them.

DISHONESTY. People are looking for a blind for lying and cheating. This gives them the perfect way to do that. Some see it as a blind to molest children and get away with it. They can boss others around.

As long as we have people that are too lazy and/or dishonest to do their own thinking, the Watchtower Society is going to continue to survive and grow, albeit slowly. They are going to make self-serving decisions that are detrimental to those in it. And, since the people were too lazy to think for themselves in the first place, the same laziness is going to make them stay in long after common sense tells them that they should get out of there.

Seems strange, the Bible condemns laziness as one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Well - first of all, I don't think they do get so many people in from developed countries anymore.

The ones they do get in from those countries, are people who are 'ripe for the picking'; they usually are emotionally vulnerable and have a need to escape into something, something that will help them cope with life. When someone then comes to their door (no effort from themselves except perhaps prayer), they bite. They may be happy that someone - anyone - would come to their home and talk with them about issues they've been troubled with.

So... The internet then?

Remember that we've all been Witnesses, and we weren't necessarily stupid. I remember when people would say "Why do you live your life by a book and listen to what a bunch of old men in Brooklyn tells you? Why don't you think for yourself?" I felt insulted but also a little 'bewildered', 'cause I felt that I absolutely did think for myself. And I did -- based on what I had learned as a JW. I can not say I remember feeling that I couldn't research things - that I couldn't go to the library and borrow any books I wanted for instance. However - I did of course not borrow books that were critical to the Bible or to JWs, because I had been told that those were just lies anyway. Also - let's not forget the belief that Satan is pulling his strings... My personal excuse is that I was born in, and was never taught critical thinking and logical reasoning.

When they come to people's door and start really talking to them (the people who will listen), there are several methods they can use to make them stop scrutinizing the religion. We all know this if we think about it, 'cause we've all used them. "If you have questions, you should ask us - if you had questions about the liberals, would you then ask the conservatives, or people who had left the liberals to become conservatives?" ----- "The negative things you read on the internet are fabricated by apostates - they do all they can to taint us." That's why it's so important that we "apostates" are honest in our research, and are able to document what we say. If they can point to only one small error in what "apostates" say about JWs, or something that is blown way out of proportion, or someone behaving irrationally, that would be enough for them.

That said, "apostates" can't really ever be "good enough"; we can always be used as an example of what happens when you leave JWs, no matter how 'good' and accurate we are, simply because we are not JWs anymore. For instance, a JW could say to the 'door': "JWs are a morally clean people. You'll notice that when people leave and become apostates, they start smoking again, having sex out of marriage, become homosexual, start celebrating pagan rituals, lying... any of those things." If the 'door' is already a religious person, it won't be long until the JW has him/her wrapped around their finger, reading cherry picked Bible verses.

The various end time dates etc. available for research on the web are again explained away with 'apostate lies'. Old literature is hard to come by even for devout JWs. 'New light' not only accounts for new understanding, but is proof that God is still behind them... Again - all this will only work on a few people nowadays, at least in developed countries. But I'm sure there are still some out there who are vulnerable and need something to believe in. The JW beliefs can be refuted using the right 'tools', but they have a rather 'well polished' belief system that they can use to answer most questions.

That and... there's a sucker born every minute.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    There are some really intelligent persons, with very respectable jobs; persons who appear to be very smart about all kinds of subject matter. Some that do a lot of research etc. on bible history, world history etc., and there they are; every week at the meetings, going out in service, even giving what appear to be heartfelt comments on how great the "Faithful Slave" is and truly seem "into it"

This describes my dad pretty well. I would say he first got into it because the idea that it would piss off his parents, devout catholics, was appealing. It also appealed to what he wanted in life, to be the dictator of his family. I think he convinced himself it was true because he liked those parts of it, although I doubt he realizes himself that that is why he first believed.

Here we are almost 30 years later. My dad is highly intelligent and, as you said, does a lot of research on things. I think at this point it is ego and pride that does not allow him to step away. I don't think he would ever 'lower himself' enough to admit either to himself or his family that he had been wrong for 30 years. He has invested too much of his self identity in this religion to let it go.

My thoughts, anyway.

Jackie

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

They do have a very good sales pitch, and are prepared for most bible questions people have. Unless these people LOOK for differing opinions then they are only exposed to the JW answers. They will accept the strawman explanations because they do sound convincing. Add to that the love bombing and it looks really great to isolated lonely people.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I think it is because that for a lot of those who are still in there is no reason to disturb what can be a happy home life. I have a brother in law who is intelligent, he's got a nice house, good job, nice kids and he's an elder. Even if he privately has doubts he has no reason to disrupt his home and family because he enjoys being a witness. He is well liked in his congregation, so he has a community of people around that know and respect him. Why would he want to give that up?

We (on this site) may know that the jw religion is a sham (he may know it himself for all I know) but that doesn't mean that that the majority of witnesses dont get something positive out of being one. Having the information accessable is not the same as wanting to know.

Perhaps some of us (myself included) have had negative experiences, but that doesn't really undermine the positive experiences of the majority of ordinary witnesses. Whilst i have no time for the lies and manipulation of the leadership of the witnesses, I don't feel the need to disbelieve that ordinary witnesses enjoy the life they have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit