Finally got Medication for Depression/bipolar

by KW13 18 Replies latest jw friends

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Good for you!!! Most men, my dad included, just could not handle being on meds for something they consider as being "weak". They don't take the time to realize it is a physical disorder, a real disease.

Be patient, it may take some time for the full effect.

momz

• changeling
    changeling

I'm proud of you!

We all have our "issues", but if we make the effort, they can be dealt with succesfully.

changeling

• Mary
    Mary

I'm really glad you went to the doctors Karl-----with you getting your depression looked after and you guys getting your own place, I'd say things are definitely looking up!

• BFD
    BFD

Better living through chemistry. I think it's great that you are getting the help you need, Karl, but these drugs effect everyone differently. Just be sure to monitor any side effects in a journal. I'm sure your doctors will make any adjustments if need be.

All the best.

BFD

• daytona27
    daytona27

Getting treated is just the start. Don't stop going to your doctor regardless of whether you feel better. Go to therapy, it helps. Realize that even if you do get off the meds, it might take years...don't try to rush it. After a suicide attempt, years of counseling, a divorce, hospital stay, countless.......days beyond counting of hysteria, psychosis, being out of my mind, distraught...the most awful emotions I can think of....weeks of debilitating depression, anger, etc, etc, etc....I'm past it all. I'm off meds and doing very well. I'm happy, I'm content. I finally feel like I'm better, but it took 7 years. Some people never get off them and I'm fully open to going back to them if necessary. I'm not blaming the org in my situation. I have a brother who is bipolar and he'll probably never be off them. I was marginally diagnosed as bipolar, they weren't sure. Seems like I have chronic, but relatively mild depression. It's under control, but I still take it one day at a time. Just remember to never stop taking care of yourself.

• KW13
    KW13

Thanks for being supportive.

Yeah things are looking good now and i feel a bit off with the medication but nothing like i thought i might, just tired really. House is coming together and everything, i am a lot happier in myself!

• blondie
    blondie

If you are bipolar compare it to have diabetes. It is a physical illness that affects another organ, the brain, rather than your pancreas. The goal is to find the right rate of meds and kind. There is a variety today, not just lithium. Find a doctor that you can communicate with and listens to you. The goal is not to get off medication any more than a diabetic tries to get off insulin. Serious side effects and death can be the result. Just give it time and work with your doctor.

• rache31
    rache31

I sent you a message. Good luck with everything!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Just got the phone call. My first visit with the therapist is on the 16th of January.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit