Tommorrow's Daily Text - this made me so mad!!!

by breakingfree 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• breakingfree
    breakingfree

Well lets get off to a good start for the year by using Jesus to justify staying with your abusive husband:

Thursday, January 3

When [Jesus] was being reviled, he did not go reviling in return. When he was suffering, he did not go threatening.-1 Pet. 2:23.

When encouraging Christians to be submissive even to harsh, unjust authorities of this world, Peter explained: "In fact, to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving a model for you to follow his steps closely." (1 Pet. 2:21) Submission in the face of ridicule and abuse may be viewed as evidence of weakness. Yet, that is not how Jesus viewed it. Some who watched Jesus suffer became believers, at leastto some degree, including a robber on a stake next to him and the army officer viewing the execution. (Matt. 27:38-44,54; Mark 15:39; Luke 23:39-43) Similarly Peter indicated that some unbelieving husbands-even those who are abusive-will become Christians after observing the submissive conduct of their wives. We have seen evidence of this happening today. w07 2/15 2:11,12

So you should submissively accept those beatings from you're abusive husband because he might become a Christian!!! This makes me so mad. Sure they don't straight out say you must stay with your abusive husband but they set it up by saying we should follow Christ's example of submitting to suffering. A little bit of a different situation methinks with him being a ransom sacrifice for all of humankind and all... I didn't realise JW wives had to be ransom sacrifices for their husband's sins as well... Typical mysognism of the WTBTS. Not that many men suffering physically for their faith compared to the amount of women being beaten up by abusive husbands.

• Cold Creek Swimmer
    Cold Creek Swimmer

Why do you still read that crap? It's a lot easier to just let it go and move on with life. Daily text? Daily load of horse dung and control.

CCS

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

abusive non believing husbands will become jehovahs witnesses because they will have an authority base telling their wives to "try harder to be a good wife" " be more submissive" "dont do things to make him angry" "remember he is the family head put in that position by god himself" blah blah blah etc putting the blame of the abuse all on the abused spouse instead of on the abuser..hence justifying the abusers behavior.

makes me angry too!

• breakingfree
    breakingfree

I don't read it every day of course!! I just got given the book and had a quick look at the first page... yuck! I may have left but I still have an interest in what goes on as I still have family and friends in. I thought the WTBTS was starting to take a more socially positive view of situations like abusive relationships but no suck luck... I just hate to think of the comments given the the FS meeting

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Breaking Free,

This is I agree typically misogynist thinking. Jesus was not suffering in an abusive relationship he was suffering for his faith. The illustrations given conflate two unrelated things in attempt to justify a point of view. Well no change there then!

I read the wts publications occasionally like you for the same reasons because i have family in. mind you they are boring rubbish for the most part

Regards llbh

• penny2
    penny2

How many JW women would have stayed with their abusive husbands over the years because of stupid comments like this. And in the meantime also subjecting their kids to an unhealthy environment.

Makes me mad too!

penny

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Hey, they need to get their elders from somewhere. Obviously, they have been losing a lot of good guys lately(they are here now!) so they need the kind of guys who will get off on controlling the congregations. The ones that like submissive wives who submit to abuse are going to be the kind of guys who like being elders for the power trip. They don't want men with a conscience!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Touche ! CCS

Throw that goddamn book in trash.

Dismembered

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That was a typical non sequitur. Jesus was suffering in his ministry, because people were trying to stop him from completing it. He was threatening to expose the religious leaders, and so they were seeking ways to have him killed. This did not go on day after day, in the home setting. Plus, he was eventually to lay down his life to ransom mankind from sin (and that is according to their own doctrine).

The abused wife, on the other hand, is being abused because the husband wants unfair control. The more the wife gives him this control, the more he is going to want it. The wife is not seeking to salvage anyone out of the world. Rather, all she wants is peace within the marriage. And, if one is to believe the Watchtower doctrine that Jesus' ransom was perfect and nothing need be added to it, we would have to conclude that the wife being offered as a sacrifice to the husband would be redundant and totally pointless.

The excuse of getting the husband to be a believer is a crock of sxxx, too. They are trying to use these situations to get more members that they do not deserve. Plus, the more likely outcome is that the abusive husband is going to make ever more demands as the wife is seeking peace. Submitting to one set of demands is only going to lead to inflated demands in the very near future. Rarely does it result in someone going into the tower, and even when it does, the abuse is likely to continue at least as bad.

I agree that those things belong in the shredder. However, as long as people are being motivated by those things, we cannot just turn away and pretend they don't exist. Reading them gives us some idea about what family members still in must go through, and it can give someone a way to help ruin the Watchtower Society by exploiting a critical weakness. To just close our eyes to the crap, especially when we have family in, would be like the witlesses closing their eyes about the pedophile expose on NBC when they are going to have to deal with householders that have heard it. Exposing them and putting them out of business is the best way to deal with those cockroaches at the top.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Wow. I wanted to go back and look at the article and where this text was taken from in context to see if they continued the point. But, alas, I do not have the magazines any longer and the latest CD I have is 2006.

Yes - the jump is non-correlated. Nothing about Jesus' life was about taking abuse from powers of the day. He was persecuted, according to scripture, not beat into submission. I would say that the organization is dealing with a bunch of abusive elders right now, and they are trying to give those jerks a pass. They can't afford to lose many more.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit