Poor Losers?

by hillary_step 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Since being able to download music, I Have bought more cd's than ever before. I am more exposed to more stuff now. I hope that musicians are making money from concerts. I go to more concerts now and tickets are not cheap. I wonder if, lets say, in the last 10 years, more people are going to concerts, or just seeing more musicians LIVE! It may not be how the artist wants to make money, but it is where I do spend more of my money, as little as it is. purps

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Purple,

Yes, there are some companies out there, like eMusic who have a growing database of music that reaches beyond the obvious. Emusic especially has some quite rare Jazz on offer.

The only problem with downloads is that there are so few companies like Linn Music http://www.linnrecords.com/ who actually offer CD, or SACD downloads. Though the approx 190-220 bit downloads are fine for PC and handheld use, they are very much third best to CD's in sound quality and imo second best to vinyl.

Music Giants http://mgn.musicgiants.com/ are offering a CD quality download service, but at present only for US clients and with a very limited catalogue. In time I see all the downloadable music being offered in a variety of bit rates.

Best regards - HS

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

HS, are you familiar with "Star-Making Machinery," by Geoffrey Stokes?

"A highly acclaimed examination of the interplay between music as art and music as a commodity
    in the day when the record-making business grossed over four billions dollars, literally spinning
    golden hit records. Geoffrey Stokes, through a case study of the rock band "Commander Cody and
    His Lost Planet Airmen", reveals a world unto itself. An excellent work for all interested in popular
    music even as cds and internet-down-loads are fashioning a new universe, either as a musician or
    a consumer."

(We just rocked in the new year last night with Commander Cody.)

~Sue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit