Poor Losers?

by hillary_step 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Well, the major record industry has shown its complete impotence in the face of rapidly changing musical technology and are now in court asserting that buying a CD and copying it to your own PC for personal use is an indictable offense and one which they will prosecute.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html?hpid=topnews

It is no secret that the major record labels are crumbling before our eyes. Employees are being laid off in their thousands, shareholders are squealing like petulant piglets and their human commodities, the musicians are sitting on the sidelines wide-eyed.

I have never been an exponent of illegal downloading of music, though its inevitability should by now have produced some remodelling to the record companies business plan. The major record companies have since the mid-seventies been fat dinosaurs, belching as they sat on the bodies of the musicians used and money earned.

Things have changed. Small companies are finding their niche, and have reacted quickly to soak up the slack left in the trail of the lumbering dinosaurs. Musicians are taking matters into their own hands. I was speaking with a well know UK musician recently and he dumped his record company a few years ago in favor of his own label, his own marketing and his own creative direction. As he said, "The best thing I did was get out of the music business and into the ******(insert his name) business".

The days of Geffen, Artegun etc. are clearly bygone, not that the companies have caught on to this fact yet! Now the fragmented industry has exciting prospects but the record companies will not survive unless they adapt. Perhaps they do not deserve to survive, but one thing is sure and that is that they are poor losers.

If you want to see why the major record companies will fail in their lawsuits, one only need to look at the image below. How many of us remember this? Home taping is killing music?...lol. Just like copying your CD onto your PC.

HS

• JeffT
    JeffT

I understand you're an artist. I presume I can make as many copies of your artwork as I want, and you have no problem with that.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The record companies could have started providing a better service 15 yrs ago. For example, they could have enabled music retailers to download and burn cds made up of songs selected by individual customers. That would have preempted the mass pirating. Instead, they have continued their practice of forcing consumers to by whole albums w a couple of desirable songs, and the rest as filler material.

S

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

JeffT,

I understand you're an artist. I presume I can make as many copies of your artwork as I want, and you have no problem with that.

If it is for your personal use you are more than welcome. As I have already noted, I am not a proponent of illegal downloading. HS

• proplog2
    proplog2

Musicians are going to have to be like athletes. They will get paid for live performances. Big money will come from endorsements. And they could always hand autograph their cd's.

I am all for a level playing field. I'm sick of these mediocre talents spending a month out of each year in a recording studio. I prefer to support local talent at bars and small venues.

The big record companies are going to have to work for their meals too. They should be promoting and selling records instead of sitting around with lawyers overseeing exclusive contracts.

Welcome to the really NEW world. I love what's happening!

I don't believe in people copying other peoples ideas, products, designs, patents, for the purpose of making money. But sharing without charging should not be criminalized.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Satanus,

Yes, there is no doubt that the record companies were living in a smug security in the past and have repeatedly been caught unawares by technology.

I also think that Canada is moving in the right direction by imposing a tax on blank CD's and "redistributing" this tax to copyright holders. The issue of course is how to fairly distribute this tax.

HS

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm afraid I've never gotten a comfortable opinion on this topic. I certainly buy that it's illegal to buy one CD, then copy it and give it to someone else. And it would be equally illegal to rip the cd to mp3's and give THOSE away. But is it illegal (or "wrong") for me to make a backup of my CD, in case I lose/break the original? Is it illegal/wrong to make that backup on my computer? Is it illegal/wrong for me to use that backup (as MP3's, on my player) instead of the CD?

A good model I saw software makers use was, "You can make copies, you can install them on multiple computers. But you can only use one copy at a time." Largely unenforceable, but a good concept.

BTW, I love the phrase "petulant piglets". Brilliant!

Dave

• chickpea
    chickpea

one of my sons is in a program that trains sound engineers and producers..... granted he speaks in techno to a dinosaur ( moi) but what i can gather is that the new vision for the evolving music industry is going to be all about downloads.... evidently the industry is about to be shaken to its core .... it remains to be seen

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I would BUY A SONG ... NOT A CD. Why would I pay FULL PRICE for a CD that only has 1 GOOD SONG? Hell no!

• 5go
    5go

I am copying Communism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit