Current & Former Elders- Will You Help Witnesses - Get Out of the Cult ?

by flipper 58 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I know ,at first glance it seems like an impossibility . I really haven't lost my mind here folks. Hear me out on this one. In reading Steve Hassan's book, " Combatting Cult Mind Control ", he mentions an interesting point in regards to helping people exit mind control cults under the chapter, " Exit Counseling: Freedom Without Coercion ". Hassan says there are 4 points he shows people to exit :

1. Demonstrate to the person he or she is in a trap

2. Show the person they didn't originally choose to enter a trap.

3. Point out that other people in other groups are in similar traps.

4. Tell him or her it's possible to get out of the trap.

Hassan continues : " While these 4 points might seem very obvious to people outside a cult , they are not at all immediately apparent to anyone under mind control. It takes someone who understands what it really means to be caught in the trap of a destructive cult to convey this message with the necessary strength and determination. This last reason is why former members ,especially former cult leaders, make the best exit- counselors. " Steve Hassan was such a leader or former counselor in the Moonies cult. He has helped people exit cults by successfully connecting with a cult members core identity, or personality that the person had before they joined the cult. It inevitably is what will help a person walk away from a cult on their own decision and freedom of choice with intervention by a cult exit counselor- but without aggressive coercion.

Hassan mentions to bring up happy, pleasant memories the cult member has experienced outside the cult experience , or good times pre-cult experience. Getting family members- especially non-cult siblings to help makes it a family effort to assist this cult- controlled person to see there are options outside of cult life that will bring happiness and less rigidity to his life. People basically want to learn, grow, and be happy. Something which does not happen in a mind control cult.

So, what do you think ? Is it possible for Steve Hassan's tactics to be used to help some we know to escape the Jehovah's Witness cult ? I am two thirds done with the book now and plan to implement some of these things to help my witness daughters in 2008. What about you elders , or former elders ? Are you able to assist some who you knew who would benefit from this information - some who are still trapped inside a mind control cult ? It may be the greatest , most fulfilling thing you have accomplished since exiting the witness cult yourself ! To help someone attain their freedom of mind and get their free will back in their lives- is truly priceless ! As always I look forward to all your opinions elders, non-elders, ex-elders, everybody is welcome here. Let's get some good feedback and interchange of thoughts going ! Maybe we can come to some kind of conclusions on what works best

• flipper
    flipper

Hello there. Anybody can feel free to chime in here on this thread. Really. Seriously. Everybody on the board has great takes on these subjects- I'm all ears ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• BBOARD
    BBOARD

Great take Flipper ... My Progress So Far:

- Last month I convinced a young sister to go to college if only part time

- I think I planted strong seeds of doubt in Latina sister ... she has currently left our with no forwarding address ... maybe I did it!

- I am curently, when I have time and it is "clear" I am slowly convincing a 40 year old virgin guy who still lives with mom to get a job, wash his own clothes, and move the f'out - its about time! Once that is done ... I go to "work"

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Mr Flipper,

That book is on my to buy list this Wednesday. I want to get my JW wife and daughter out.

Maddie has ordered it as well and we going to compare notes

I am not an elder and never have been so did not respond 1st time

regards llbh

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Awesome information Mr. Flipper. I had the opportunity to do this but I didn't realize it at the time and it didn't turn yout (yet) how I would have hoped. A friend of mine invited me to a sales meeting where the bottom line is these guys are going to teach you how to make money with your own business and help you save money by buying things with their group discount but require you to buy their instructional cds. I went to the meeting because from the intitial meeting, I was concerned that it sounded a bit like the jw. So, I went to the meeting and sure enough the woman was using hypnotic techniques, with her eyes and with her gestures on the white board. I had to shake me head and close my eyes repeatedly to avoid not being controlled. I'm thinking now that she might have been doing something illegal because she was visibly upset when she saw I wasn't following along with her every word. I looked around the room and I was the only set of eyes that wasn't focused completely on her. It was scary. Anyway, after the meeting, I was kind of messed up. I realized that I was escaping another cult-like situation by turning down their offer, but I realized too, that I didn't know how to help my friend. But instinctively I guess, before the meeting I kept talking to him about all the things we did in High School. He seemed hesitant to talk about those things at first. I don't know if I helped because I turned down their offer and so he hasn't been in touch with me since. I would like to help him, but I'm not sure how to continue.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I'm available to help, and have been for years.

I think I've been an influence in getting a lot of people out, including a few from my old congregation. But I was just one factor of many.

S4

• Maddie
    Maddie

Thank you Mr. Flipper because you always make me believe there is a chance of freeing my son from the JW's with your recent posts on this subject. It has made me aware of the fact that there is a dual personality going on in my son. My sons aunt has commented how when he has been with non JW family for a while he seems to relax and more like he used to be. The problem is that it is very rare for him to mix with non JW's, but I do believe it is a sign that it would be possible to break the hold of the cult, which gives me some hope.

Maddie

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Two thoughts - it would be sooo great if we could put topics like this under private discussion because faders like me can be reluctant to reply for obvious reasons.

I am fading because there are people I would like to get out. But - how do you apply those principles when your entire family is 2nd and 3rd generation? No one had any time ever develop a personality outside of the cult personality. There are no "happy" memories, no "real" personality to bring out.

• flipper
    flipper

BBOARD- That is great you convinced a witness to go to college ! Hey, that's a start at getting someone to use critical thinking ! It would be nice for the "40 year old virgin guy" to live on his own too ! Hey maybe not only will he get his freedom back, who knows, maybe he will finally get laid too in the process !

LLBH- Glad you are getting this book too ! That would be great if you could get your wife and daughter out of the witness cult ! I was not an elder either- but a ministerial servant for 6 years , pioneer for 3 years . But I think if people educate themselves about " cult mind control", anybody can learn the techniques to get people out of cults.

ABANDONED- Yes. What you say is true. Hassan even mentions it in his book that business marketing representatives use " mind control" tactics to hypnotize people to sell their pyramid marketing schemes or other marketing schemes to the public. So the " mind control" methods are similar to what religious cults use too. Glad you escaped. You probably helped your friend escape as well by talking about old High school days and experiences. Got his mind on another track ! Good job !

SEEKER 4- I've always enjoyed your posts and threads. You have a good way of communicating and expressing yourself. With that talent, I'm quite sure you have helped many to exit the witness cult ! Good work, bro ! Keep it up ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• JK666
    JK666

Flipper,

I am interested in the things that Hassan has said in his book. You are right that current elders could make some inroads in helping individuals to think for themselves. The only problem is to keep out of trouble themselves while performing this service.

I have two people that I would really like to get out. These were two of my best friends in the Borg, and I feel personally responsible as I studied with them. Obviously, with me being disfellowshipped, my access to speaking with them is limited. But they still have some of my personal items, that I could request back. One is currently an elder, so technically he could talk to me.

I am still trying to figure out how to plan this. Keep discussing this because the interchange of ideas is a big help.

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit