Circuit Convention Illustrations

by tooktheredpill 17 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Abandoned: Take care! As you already know, God makes no demands upon you, is not standing by with divine retribution.

The choices you made while so young and under the spell of a hypnotic leadership are not those you would make today - but today you can make new choices, come to better decisions, and keep stepping forward in your own life - free of guilt, free of commands to follow, free of demands of worship.

The truth has set you free...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Losch gave the talk at my 2006 DC.

He is a terrible speaker.

Burn

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My wife and I have been working on my sister in law to continue her education. She's completed 2 years and has two more to go. She's getting alot of heat from the elders to stop. Of course all the elders have an education, as do their children. So far she seems committed to at least give it a shot.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are a few valid reasons to not go to college. One is if you are already in a career that doesn't require it, like a thriving music career or in showbiz. Some people in those fields do exceptionally well even without college. They make tens of millions of dollars per year on those things, and do not need college.

Another case might be someone that is independently learning, and is likely to create the next breakthrough, with or without college. In fact, such people might be better off to carry on independently in lieu of going to college.

The other case where there is a legitimate reason to not go to college is if there simply is no way the child is going to get in. Perhaps the child is not capable, because of mental retardation. Or, there simply is no way to finance it and every reasonable way has been exhausted. Even in the latter case, a 2-year degree at a state college is better than nothing. Mentally retarded people are not capable of getting in; neither are those whose grades are so poor that colleges would just laugh the application out.

That leaves the 90% of all people that can get at least some supplementary education and would benefit in some way from it. They should do all they can to get into a college or university that is going to maximize their potential. There is no way that a student should turn down a scholarship to a college if they can, with its help, afford to go there unless the college simply sucks or the person is already doing better independently. Nor should anyone drop out merely because of a religion (the only legitimate reasons for dropping out are flunking out, having a family crisis develop that demands dropping out, development of a serious illness that requires dropping out, running out of money and there simply is no way to get the needed funds, or if the person just plain cannot handle the stress of college).

I wonder how many more crap illustrations the Watchtower Society is going to come up with to dissuade people from going to college. I like the "Going Out of Business" illustration. What if the place was going out of business and I know why, and it is because they are doing things stupidly. A quick way to the top would be to take that job and work toward either saving the company (and securing a place near the top management) or inheriting it when the present leaders shoot themselves in the foot one time too many. You pick up the pieces, and after a lot of hard work, you have the business back on solid footing. Or, you manage to save the company and your job (and everyone else's), get a nice promotion, and have decent job security. That is how I feel about this system of things.

But, suppose I have a crap job for a company that is a tyrant and will not acknowledge anything I do. I am not making anywhere enough to make rent and bills. And the work is endless and extremely distasteful. In fact, more often than not the paychecks are misdelivered or bounce. There are other opportunities out there, but I see no way of usurping the company when it goes belly up. The best choice there is to start pulling no-shows or walk out on the job. I will still get fired. But at least now I will be free to look for and take another job on more reasonable terms. And get a real paycheck. That is how I view the Watchtower Society.

I strongly recommend going to college if there is any way of being able to, unless you are totally independent or are in showbiz and doing well without it. Even if it doesn't enrich you with more money, it will enrich you with the experience of living on your own in a setting where a few baubles will not become major problems. For sure, I do NOT recommend pioneering at all.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I take it this advice to not pursue a career through college, which likely will get most individuals into higher rates of pay per hour to fulfill their Bible obligation that 'a man who cannot provide for his own family is worse than one without faith', is all part of the WTS commom sense advice. They are such mind controllers and bullies of young people. They pile up responsibility for low rates of pay so you spend every hour just feeding your kids. Keeping you on the breadline keeps you on their doorstep. How dare they pressure people into life choices. Life choices! I could not honestly go to any human and advise them to follow the WTBTS as a life choice!

• Honesty
    Honesty

For those of us who scrutinize the meaning of world events in the light of Bible prophecy...

The Watchtower Society is full of poo poo

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Surviving college???? It's a wonder that any of us survived the WTS!!!!!! maybe the magic bullet we got in the head took all of that wts reasoning out of it.

NMG

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

but when one is "right" theycan make up any stooopid illustration they want. this is double-true if the audience has no critical thinking skills.

THe GB is always right....

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit