What's OK/ What's not... CONFUSING!

by tika 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tika
    tika

My MIL who is an active witness, just made each of her kids and spouses a HUGE tray of Christmas cookies wrapped with red and green bows and delivered them Christmas Eve day. What would the elders think of this? I get so confused as to what's OK with them and what's not OK. It all seems very contradictory to me and they basically make excuses to do as they please, but criticize everyone else for say, letting their kid watch Harry Potter. My husband (who was raised in the Kingdom Hall and never baptized) is a Lord of the Rings freak, but yet criticized the Harry Potter books and movies that my 11 year old son enjoys. Seems like a double standard to me. Anyone else have any examples?

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

My parents (elder) always ring on my birthday and remind me that I'm __years old today. I aways responded "I'm a Jehovah's Witness, we don't celebrate birthdays" just to make them feel bad for their double-standards. This year I'll thank them for wishing me a happy birthday.

• changeling
    changeling

Your MIL must not be a "strong" witness. She is definetely not typical. Be glad for that.

changeling

• steve2
    steve2

One of the secrets for living a mentally healthy life is learning to accept people's little oddities. Yes, the JWs are filled to the brim with people who inconsistently follow their beliefs. My JW aunt threw a "celebration" for my niece when she turned 13; it was a birthday by any other name, complete with candles on a cake, although my aunt denied it was a birthday. I was 16 at the time and it was a confusing experience for me.

Now that I'm much, much older, I see this kind of behaviour as normal. It's just a shame that the JWs have to pretend they're not doing something that others can see they in fact are doing.

• flipper
    flipper

Believe me- Jehovah's Witnesses don't know what's O.K. and what's not ! How can they tell you ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• wednesday
    wednesday

If you are not a jw yourself, it sounds like you MIL is just trying to be nice and do something for you that she thinks you might like and find "normal". It's terribly hard to be a MiL and also she hopes probably that one day you might me a jws and so she is extending herself. I think it is sweet and be glad she is not over preaching to you or shunning you.

yes as flipper said, most jws have no idea how to handle these situations. Most really want to be normal and do what others do. It's a real shame our natural ampules are so thwarted.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, a common thing to say, but the first time a xjws says that- it feels so bizarre.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

They wear wedding rings - pagan

They give wrapped gifts - pagan

They celebrate birthdays in their own way - pagan

Anything they or we do, a pagan did thousands of years earlier. King Solomon was right, "Nothing new under the sun."

• Maddie
    Maddie

Very confusing and very sad that a lot of JW's try to pretend that they aren't celebrating something so call it something else instead.

Maddie

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

Any time a person tries to serve God through "works of law" it is self-rightness and that has nothing to do with common sence or sanity.

It much like a judge that judges people for breaking the law knowing that he has done the same thing he justifies his actions by his position. He only compounds the sickness when he hates the criminal as sub-human for their acts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit