I hate football, but...

by Tara 19 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

By definition FOOTball is a game played by controlling the ball with only your feet ... does the NFL game meet that description?

(I know about those who pay the game that started in the school at Rugby but we don't consider them footballers either)

• delilah
    delilah

LOL, I can't argue with you, BB, all I know is that it's a great sport, as is Rugby and soccor. I love them as well....

• Gopher
    Gopher
    By definition FOOTball is a game played by controlling the ball with only your feet ... does the NFL game meet that description?

No the American (NFL) game does not meet the original definition you listed. But the NFL game does meet the common American and Canadian definition of football which has been in common use by millions of people for over a century.

There are four plays in the American game that involve the use of a foot: the kickoff, the punt, the field goal, and the point after touchdown. And there is a ball. Hence, foot ball. (This is as opposed to other major ball sports like baseball and basketball, that have no types of plays where the foot is involved in directing the ball.)

• watson
    watson

My only problem with American Football is that somehow I became a VIking's Fan......talk about frustrating!

• Gopher
    Gopher
    My only problem with American Football is that somehow I became a VIking's Fan......talk about frustrating!

Now how in the world did you choose the Vikings? Maybe you became a fan when they were hot in 1998 or 2001? In any case, being a Vikings' fan is a long exercise in patience, that pays off about once every decade. Hey they've got 7 All-Pro players this year, so the team isn't all bad (except they can't execute a long pass).

• watson
    watson

Gopher, I thought you'd chime in on that one. My Viking fixation goes back to the 1969/1970 season. Not because they were "hot" then, too, but because of seeing one fantastic play at the young and gullable age of 12!! You're right about the "10 year payoff." I've tried to walk away from them, but then they go and have a good year, or an exciting player, etc....frustrating.

• Tara
    Tara

Watson, don't give up on your Vikings. Look how long we Bostonians waited and rooted for our beloved Red Sox (yes, baseball, I know). Talk about patiencs...

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Watson, don't give up on your Vikings. Look how long we Bostonians waited and rooted for our beloved Red Sox (yes, baseball, I know). Talk about patiencs...

Yes Tara, except Red Sox Nation had an actual reason to believe their drought happened -- the curse of the Bambino. We Vikings fans will have to come up with something like that. Maybe the "curse of Herschel Walker" for whom we eventually gave the Dallas Cowboys a dozen players, thus helping set them up for their dynasty in the 90's (the Troy Aikman-Emmitt Smith-Michael Irvin era).

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Nothing is as frustrating as being a Carolina's Panthers fan. We have been waiting since '95! That's pretty much last century.

• watson
    watson

Sorry Fading, but being in 4 Superbowls and losing 4 Superbowls beats that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit