Is the world really getting worse?

by Wordly Andre 56 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Nah..the world isn't getting worse - our ability to connect globally is simply far more accessible. We have methods of communication now that give us real time access to events happening thousands of miles away thus we are more aware of things people wouldn't have been a hundred years ago.

People who fought in WW1 had to write letters and rely on snail mail for the most part to stay in touch with their families. Now - a simple keystroke and you are in touch. People read their papers carefully, embracing every word and taking the time to do it - a lot of people now don't read at all, let alone a paper. Their discussion is usually reliant on what they are fed on television and talk radio - so when a country has corporate media instead of actual freedom of speech, their point of view will always be skewed toward the information they are spun and not so much as their own involvement in the issue.

I think if you sought out the millions who starved to death in Russia - they'd tell you they thought that Armageddon was happening then. If you talk to those who suffered through the plague and who lost entire families and villages, they would have thought the world was worse then. It's all perspective - and in a way our global communication system, as wonderful as it is, has created a constant stream of fear and guilt - too much awareness of events that don't matter to many in their every day lives. Fear that something bad will always happen be it a pandemic, a terrorist attack or a economic depression. Guilt for not being more involved with every cause from starving kids in Africa to global warming. Nah...its not worse - we are just more aware IMHO. sammieswife.

• Satanus
    Satanus

True, sammielee24. Then too, as kids, our perspective is limited. It is generally when we get older that we realise all the crap that is going on across the globe. That makes it seem that things used to be good, but have gotten worse in one lifetime. All that really happened was that the individual's perspective became enlarged from the time that they were a baby to the time that they were old. The more you learn about the world and how it works, the more depressed you can get. On the other hand, if a person learns even more, the nature of things, the depression can get reduced.

S

• seawolf
    seawolf

Things are worse today?

alt

nah.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Would you say that people want love?

Yes I would. The thing everyone wants is love. Not only sexual but the bibliical kind
    Patient( like forgiving folks that wronged us.
    Kind:like not always thinking for ourselves--being unkind when were ticked
    Doesnt Envy: we are not wanting what other have.
    Dont Boast: I am better than you.attitude
    Not Proud. .( Which always came to me before I fell.)
    Isnt Rude.:
    Not self seeking:
    Dont remember the wrong we were done:
    We dont get upset at the wrong someone does us ( Like I am at this very moment)
    Love always protects,always trusts,always hopes,always perserveres

Wish I could show that kind of love do any of you have it?????

• OBVES
    OBVES

If some insist in visible clear sign the world is getting worse ,I have a good convincing proof and the science and statistics can confirm that.

Smoking cigarretes and the damages it can cause to so many people . I am sick and tired of people smoking and having to inhale the smoke.

It happens that in the richest country on the face of this earth I have to run away from smoke and I am losing also time because of that. They smoke almost everywhere ! I cannot go quietly on the street as they lurk outside buildings and smoke goes far away . They smoke at the entrances to subway where I am passing by and the entrances to the stores where I shop and happens I inhale the smoke and I could go on . This craziness of smoking God Yahweh must stop it is beyond common sense .Look how many people smoke today and how many die because of smoke inhalation and what costs the governments must bear . How many homeless and hungry people could be spared if money spent on smoking were diverted ?!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Well OBVES, who cares about the dangers of smoking, the world is ending in ...........2011 is it?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    The more you learn about the world and how it works, the more depressed you can get. On the other hand, if a person learns even more, the nature of things, the depression can get reduced.

Agree with your points Satanus. I might add that this is where the overload of communication and information comes into play. It can be good or it can be bad. There is little independent news any longer, it's all primarily corporate owned therefore ideology via the corporation is fed to the people and they consume it with a passion. The issues are often cherry picked for ratings and sometimes to the extent that you all of a sudden start focusing on how the Taliban is treating women in another country while ignoring the rights of women being trampled on in your own country. (these are just examples I'm using) The media can get you to rise up against starvation in another country to the point where you can reject the hunger in half of the population in your own country. Advertisers do it all the time - push you into believing that if you don't have things you are poor, out of the loop, a fool etc - and yet, years ago, people did not consume products and dispose of them so readily in part because there was not the massive instant push to consume. It's a balancing act - sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit