Without using the Bible.........

by searcher 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• erynw
    erynw

My boss once asked me to research the internet and compile a list of mermaid facts.

This, as well as your request, isn't possible.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus
    My boss once asked me to research the internet and compile a list of mermaid facts.

Somehow, that just disturbs me

• uninformed
    uninformed

Without using your brain, prove that you exist.

U

• davegod
    davegod

I have no brain, therefore I do not exist. Who am I?

• uninformed
    uninformed

UH?????

Maybe a practicing JW??

Joke

Brant

• searcher
    searcher
    This, as well as your request, isn't possible.

I can think of several Mermaid facts.

Some people genuinely believe Mermaids exist..............Fact.

There are stories about Mermaids.............Fact.

Neither of which prove or disprove the existance of Mermaids but they are facts in and of themselves.

My purpose in keeping the topic as vague as it is was to encourage people to write of the bible based on how they view it, and the reason for 'without using the bible' was to prevent the circular reasoning that has been mentioned eg, onacruse wrote

It had never occurred to me (until a few years ago) the absurdity of taking what a book says about itself as proof of anything!

Some interesting replies, thanks to all who participated in the thread.

• hmike
    hmike

The books of the Bible contain prophecies about events in the future of when it was written. The test was always, "Did it come to pass?" The fulfillment of some of those prophecies is recored in other books of the Bible written at a later time. So, somewhere along the line, you would have to use the Bible. Even if a source outside the Bible recorded the occurance of an event in history, whether or not it was a fulfillment of a prophecy would be open to speculation, and some skeptics would likely claim the historical account was altered anyway. So, yes, I agree with others that you can't "prove" it.

If Jesus comes back and raises the dead, then we'll know it was true. If that doesn't ever happen, then we'll know it wasn't true, at least not the way we interpreted it.

• searcher
    searcher
    The books of the Bible contain prophecies about events in the future of when it was written.

But what is the proof that the prophecies were written before the events came to pass?

The Bible was written over a very long time, so someone later could well have believed they were written before and so would have continued the belief by their writings.

After all, it is not that long ago when people believed the Earth was the centre of the universe and that the Earth was flat.

If belief in something is all that is needed to make it true then people are free to believe whatever they want to.

(Good news for Santa Claus and the Faries hm?)

• mouthy
    mouthy

Dont bother with the Bible then Just talk to the creator dont ask us. We didnt do it/.

Just say "Hey Creator If your there SHOW me SOME way or another " You might be surprised

• searcher
    searcher

I have no problem with the thought that there may be a creator, after all, if a creator cannot be proven to exist then he/she or it equally cannot be proven to not exist.

My problem is with the creators believers, many (most) of whom seem to have a mission to compel others to believe, and would kill or torture to acheive that, if given the power, this has been proven by history.

All based on a book that cannot be proven to be true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit