Tenesee Baby JW Gets Blood Products - Parents go to court.

by Gerard 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I wonder if some of the posters on here who are really really sauve about the blood issue and who aren't as sarcastic and hot headed as I. Could come up with a letter detailing (biblically) how the JW's are full of crap (see this is why I can't do it) about this issue and it could be sent to hospitals and judges. I'll bet if someone could do a really good one and get it into a good hospital pipeline (like mayo) that the hospital would actually distribute it themselves, saving us the cost.

It can't just be a witness bashing letter it would just have to address the "does the bible really say you can't take blood?" type thing.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Update:

Court overrules parents on surgery
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/12/28/court_overrules_parents_on_surgery/9963/
    Published: Dec. 28, 2007 at 1:10 AM Font size: NASHVILLE, Dec. 28 (UPI) -- A court in Tennessee ruled that doctors can perform heart surgery on a newborn even though using blood products violates her parents' beliefs.

The parents are Jehovah's Witnesses. They believe in getting medical treatment but believe that blood transfusions and any other use of blood violates Biblical teaching.

"It's a scriptural command to abstain from blood," Fred Haston, who chairs the Jehovah's Witnesses Hospital Liaison committee, told The Nashville Tennessean. "The reason is that the life of a person is in that blood. We believe that blood is life."

The girl, identified only as Baby Girl Doe, was born at Vanderbilt University Medical Center with a congenital heart condition. Doctors said that unless she received a cardiac catheterization within 48 hours of birth she was likely to die.
  • momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I think it's ironic that JW's accept that "blood is life", but a newborn is unworthy of using it for life. I can't think of a more sacred use for blood than to save a life. I know, I almost died from refusing a transfusion.

momz

mkr32208, you will find this website interesting. Alot of Biblical references why the Society is wrong.

http://www.ajwrb.org/

• Honesty
    Honesty

One of our very own local ex-JW's briefed the public this morning on Talk Radio 100 regarding the Watchtower Society's blood policy and how it has evolved during the past few years.

He also explained in detail what the WTBTS once taught regarding organ transplants and vaccinations.

I seriously doubt that his name will be mentioned with a lot of affection at the local kingdumb hells around here after this morning's episode

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The prohibition against consuming blood comes from an ancient belief that ones life was in the blood. This is why vampires are supposed to be immortal... they keep drinking blood which keeps extending their life.

When the god of the bible forbade the consumption of blood this was supposed to be a means to ensure everyone died (no cheating allowed by the mortal humans). Quite ironic when viewed in the current context of blood used in medical treatments to save lives.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I think back to the things we used to say

"We know that there is a residue of blood in the meat, but that does not matter, as long as the blood in the veins is drained..as an offering, whether they know what they are doing or not"

"It does not matter whether it is ingested by eating or transfused, it breaks Gods law"..

"Doctors don't really need it these days"

You know, we really thought that God placed more value on a pint of liquid than he did on the life of his people. All the simple reasoning that I now see on the net, was closed to us. It never entered our minds to question the teaching. It was and is totally accepted as a heartfelt belief. The dubs in my family have those keyfobs that proclaim "No Blood", privately bought.

I heard a speaker from the London Bethel H L C oversight explain that "The Governing Body have decided that the taking of the primary four components is a violation of Gods law and acceptance of the rest is a conscience matter"...So can they say it is the Scriptures that ban it ? No ! they follow the "Commands of men"

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

The Watchtower Society's prohibition against blood ingestion and/or transfusion is a completely random, arbitrary manner of crowd control.

They could have used any of the prohibitions listed in the Old Testament and said they were edicts from God. Rutherford simply chose the blood issue, I suppose because it was most compelling.

The Watchtower Society arrived at the blood ban dishonestly and cruelly. Now kids are dying because of it.

• dinah
    dinah

I wonder if the mother of this baby was secretly happy the courts stepped in? I know I would be grateful to a judge if he got me out of such a terrible situation without it being "my fault" in the eyes of Brooklyn. If she had "put her child's life before Jehovah" she would have been kicked out and shunned. Also, it kills me how they equate their stupid rules with Jehovah. They interchange Jehovah's name with theirs all the time. Mouthpiece? Hum, they act like they are God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit