Baptised, disfellowshipped all before reaching 18

by dinah 19 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I knew a girl that was baptized, disfellowshipped in the same year before she was 18.

It was one of the saddest things I had ever seen. She was abandoned by her family and moved in with this JW family and started studying. She happened to be a classmate of this family's JW daughter. This girl became convinced being a JW was what she wanted and got baptized. Not long after baptism, she got pregnant, disfellowshipped, and the JW family kicked her out of their home. I never heard what happened to her, but that is about the saddest thing I'd ever heard of.

In a twist of events, the ordeal stuck in the craw of the young JW daughter because her Elder dad had been so cruel to her friend. About 2 years later she also left the JWs, I don't remember if she dissassociated or was disfellowshipped. I just know when I asked whatever happened to her, I was told by her uncle that, "We don't talk to her anymore." That would make the JW daughter 17 when she was baptized and out by the age of 20.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I was never baptised. In my hall, in the early 80's, baptism was not encouraged until 15-16+ or so. When I was 13 I wanted to, when I was 15, I left, so I am glad I never was baptised! I was discouraged ( maybe some elder was smarter than I thought:) ) and told that very few were ready at my age. 16 was probably common. One 13 yo son of an elder was that I know of, but that is the youngest. He is probably still a hardcore JW, though I tend to think his dad may not be! He was the one that opened up to a youth group about his experience with 1975. His son was very smart, but the power that men held in the cong., etc, would have been tempting, even if they didn't buy into everything. I liked him, but I imagine him being a really hardcore elder now.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I waited until age 20. I had moved out and 1100 miles from home and most people at the new location assumed I had been dipped in NY. Then when I started dating G (reg pioneer) I had to get dipped before we were allowed to date. So I got baptized at an off convention (not even in our district I think) so then when I faded and they wanted to DF me it made it really easy to lie and say "wait I was never baptized!" I SAID I was but I never really got baptized!

Hilarious!

I've heard of kids as young as 9 getting dried and getting shunned. If I heard about a case like that first hand you better believe I would have social services on the damn phone RIGHT NOW!...

• anewme
    anewme

religious fascism!

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

I was baptized shortly after my 14th birthday after giving all the right answers to questions from the "Lamp" book. Made a Literature room servant at 17 and DA'ed myself at 19.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    When JWs find out that I didn't get baptized until my senior year of high school they always asked me what took me so long since I raised in "the truth"

Yeah, I had to deal with that stupidity as well. After being baptized at 21 (under coercion nonetheless), an elder with his nose in the air remarked ..."well it's about time!"

• dinah
    dinah

Though I'd bump this for sosad. Apparently her brother isn't alone.

((((((sosad's brother)))))))

• Cc81
    Cc81

same old story... i grew up in the truth. I was baptized at age 15. And allthough i was not disfellowshipped, more than half the kids i knew growing up were df'd before they were 18. So sick.. tormenting children that way. Screwing with their emotions.

• flipper
    flipper

DINAH- My kids mom, I'll call her ex-wife #1 had a younger sister in the mid 1980's who got DFed for making a mistake with another young man in the congregation at age 16. Her sister moved away to L.A. never went back to the witneeses though. She made a great respectable life for herself, married a fine non-witness guy who was responsible , started a family and from what I hear is doing great !

Naturally , my self righteous ex wife has always held the vendetta against her sister ( as her organization instructs) and has not talked to her sister since 1985 when it happened . She thinks she is being faithful to God by doing this ? Weird. And yet , my ex-wife opened her arms to her unbaptized other sister who was a methamphetamine addict and left her children . What caused the ex-wife to reach out to her sister? Because she was interested in studying with the witnesses. So the druggie , dysfunctional sister is acceptable because she conned the ex into studying the Bible with her, but the responsible good sister who is DFed and who has a good family life is condemned by the ex-wife. Sometimes, I really feel like everyone in the Jehovah's Witness organization has $hit for brains . It is truly disgusting ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• dinah
    dinah

Mr. Flipper,

I've heard alot of stories like that one. It's better to be a drug addict than an ex-witness. They use that scripture about one who abandons the faith is worse than the one who never had the faith. Of course they twist that scripture to make it apply only to the GB.

I'm happy that her "unacceptable" sister seems to be having a nice life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit