Does anyone get frustrated by the speculations of Weather Forecasters?

by freydi 11 Replies latest social current

• freydi
    freydi

Well I do. For example yesterday here was the official forecast at 11AM.

1057 AM CST SAT DEC 22 2007 ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST SUNDAY... A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST SUNDAY. SNOW WILL INCREASE ACROSS THE WARNED AREA THIS AFTERNOON FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST. EXPECT THE SNOW TO BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES BY MID AFTERNOON THROUGH THE EARLY EVENING.

Actual result - nothing. Storm over. Just a lot of wind.

I'm starting to keep track of their speculations versus what actually occurs. (I refuse to call them forecasts any more) It drives me nuts when they say there's say a 60% chance of something happening. What in the world does that mean and how do they arrive at it? And if there's a 60% chance of something happening, they never tell you about the other 40% chance of something else happening.

• hubert
    hubert

I don't get frustrated anymore, I just don't pay attention to it too much.

I actually laugh when I see the "extended forecast". They can't even predict the weather for tomorrow, let alone seven days from now.

I laugh also, when I see people get all excited about the "storm" we are expecting to have in 5 days. Then, 5 days later, the sun is shining, and it's a beautiful day.

Apologies from the weather man? Nah !! Never !!

Hubert

• calico
    calico

Ever since the Plainfield, IL tornado--they are overly cautious--they don't want to get in trouble for not warning us. You are right--they overdo it.

Remember the blizzards in the 1970's? Now THAT was a snow storm!

• Mulan
    Mulan

I live in the Seattle area and the weather here seems pretty easy to predict. They are usually right on with it.

Especially predicting rain.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well... I always tell people that I want to be a weatherman when I grow up.

They look at me kinda funny - then I tell them, "Cuz that's that only job that I know of where you can be wrong most of the time - and not get fired."

Then they go - oooooohhhh - and laugh.

But - you're right. With all of the sophisticated weather equipment that they seem to have - you'd think that they'd get it right every once and a while.

I have learned that there is more to the weather - and predicting it - than just looking at the clouds - and direction of the wind. Around here, they will predict extremely low temps sometimes - and I shrug. I remind anyone around me - who might be panicking - that the weather-dude (or dudette) forgot to factor in the ground-heating effect - and it probably won't get as cool as they are predicting. 9 times out of 10 - I'm usually correct.

I call the forecasters... 'hindcasters' - cause they are usually 100% correct in telling you what the weather was - yesterday.

Regards,

Jim TX

• BrentR
    BrentR

We have a local news channel that even tells us how to dress for the day. I find that completely patronizing and annoying, it reminds me back when I lived with mom. So not only do they screw up the forcast but they tell us that we need a heavy jacket for today. Some day I am going to call the station and find out if it's OK if I just go with a thick sweetshirt and maybe a lighter jacket. MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Here in Quebec they are usually dead on.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Jim_TX:

They look at me kinda funny - then I tell them, "Cuz that's that only job that I know of where you can be wrong most of the time - and not get fired."

yeah..I always say that weather men and baseball players are the only ones who can do their jobs right half the time and keep their jobs.....

....then I thought......them and the Governing Body...with an even worse forecasting average than meterologists...LOL

I will give the Weather Channel meterologist in Atlanta that broadcasts here in St. Louis credit...she nailed the most recent snow storm accumulation predictions/timings....

Snakes ()

• freydi
    freydi

So what does 60% supposed to mean? What about the other 40%? I e-mailed Tom Skilling in Chicago(WGN), with that question and he didn't answer.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    So what does 60% supposed to mean? What about the other 40%?

It means what it means, the 60% has a higher chance of happening then the 40%.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit