Can't eat goat boiled in milk

by Satanus 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Satanus
    Satanus

One of the ot laws is to not boil a young goat in it's mother's milk, and eat it. Why is that? Would that be the same as eating egg noodles in chicken soup? Just wondering.

S eating soup w home made noodles

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

As far as I know, it was an overall law for showing humane treatment to animals - basically not to kill a young animal before it was weaned.

I think there was a similar law about taking eggs from nests too with the same general ethic?

So enjoy your soup 'n' noodles without worry!

• lawrence
    lawrence

It was a Canaanite fertility rite; they would smear the fields with the substance in hopes of an excellent crop.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

It was mostly -I think- to sepperate the Jews from their Pagan Cannanite neighbors, and it may have been some sort of ritual like somebody already said. Sounds alot like a death and rebirth kinda thing. Also, why would you want to? I can't think of a way I'd spice that to make that edible. Not quite clam chowder or Tom Ka Gai.

• Satanus
    Satanus

"why would you want to?"

Um well, pizza w pepperoni made of goat, w fetta cheese topping w spicey pepper.

S

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

DAMN!

Looks like I'll be having Tuna Casserole for New Years dinner AGAIN!

• Gregor
    Gregor

As I recall, the point was how cruel it was symbolically. Of course today the Jews still have kosher laws that meat and dairy must be kept separate. I have designed a couple of kitchens for Jewish facilities and it is quite interesting.

Another rule was also based on the principle of propriety. That was "You must not muzzle the ox that threshes the grain" The animal had to be allowed to eat some of the grain when it worked to turn the grinding stone. I think this would be cool if one was a jewish bartender.

• Satanus
    Satanus

NN

Perhaps a nice white kosher wine would help.

S

• onacruse
    onacruse

And I thought I asked weird questions!

Satanus, just go vegan, and not to worry.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't like milk at the best of times. I prefer my goat curried. and on basmati rice.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit